What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now? - Fall/Winter 2015/2016

Darwin
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Spent the evening with Kilkerran WiP 7 Bourbon wood, Kilkerran Single cask Calvados & BenRiach 18 1995 single cask.

Much yumminess to be had.

Trying my own blend of Glenlivet 12 with a few drops of Laphroaig 10. Peat adds complexity and flavor.

Finished off a darkside weekend with a couple of favorites, Redbreast 15 and Lag 16

Last night I had my first taste of Lagavulin 16 thanks to a combination of a recommendation from a fellow SBer and the generosity of a neighbor. Wow. I was impressed. Amazing flavors of saline, iodine, sweet fruit, and of course, smoke, especially on the finish. I was still thinking about the smokey finish today. I was previously not a fan of peaty Scotches. Lag 16 has turned my to the dark side.

I found a bottle of Ardbeg Corryvreckan in the back of the cabinet today. It's a perfect wee dram for a cool fall evening.

Edited by Darwin

Sipping on some Bunnahabhain 12 on this wet and chilly night. Not what you might expect from an Islay malt, but delicious!

Longrow Red Fresh Port Casks.  With a few drops of water.  The depth and quality of flavors really hitting the spot.  Peat and port really complement each other very nicely in this expression.

Opened and had a pour from Monkey Shoulder last evening.  I must say that Monkey Shoulder is an impressive whiskey for $30.  Sure, it doesn't quite have the complexity of some of the more expensive single malts that I have on-hand, but the Monkey Shoulder has really nice flavor, and I could see this being a big crowd-pleaser.

Edited by jeffrey r

Definitely makes me look forward to getting to a pour of the Monkey Shoulder at some point!

So much whiskey, so little time. B)

Edited by tanstaafl2

A nice thing about the slow start of a chimney starter and hardwood charcoal is that it gives me time to enjoy habana Partagas petite corona and the last of my Glenmorangie Ealanta while it gets going tonight.

Next to the last pour from a Balvenie Doublewood 12 yr.  I really tried to like this whiskey, but it really has bored me to death.  Maybe, I'll just go ahead and suck down the last  pour tonight, so I can clear a spot on the bar.

Lagavulin 12YO after golf in December in a short sleeve shirt.  My first experience with the 12YO.  Really pure, focused peatiness with just the right amount of sweetness.  Not particularly complex, but really enjoyable.

Starting the night with a wee dram of Compass Box Great King Street.  I'm thinking the Aberlour A'bunadh will be nice after that.  :)

Opened up a bottle of Clynelish 14 year this weekend. I hadn't had this one before and thought it was really good. It's not overly malty, peaty, or briney and it's not clearly sherried. I love peat and sherry monsters, but sometimes I'm in the mood for a nice subtle pour and this one fits the bill perfectly. 

Just wasn't in the mood for bourbon last night.  That doesn't happen often. So I had a pour of Lagavulin 16 (a new favorite) followed by Nikka Coffey Grain.  I really enjoyed both.

I am in the midst of a cold, so I went with something strong last evening, Glenfarclas 105 CS.  Even fighting through the cold, very good stuff.

Hard week of work. It's minus 15 c , the snow is coming down and blowing , roads are black ice. Got home now Just warming up with an Alberta Springs in a Canadian glen cairn. 

Cheers!

image.jpeg

Since this is the only whiskey I have at the moment. It's a cold Sunday afternoon. I thought I would try a different kind of shot with my phone cam. Also a different glass just to change things up a bit. 

Cheers!

IMG_20151220_115017.jpg

I washed the truck, mowed the lawn and grilled fajitas with a few cold beers.  Now it's time to relax and watch the game with a nice pour of Glenfarclas 15.  :)

19 hours ago, Darwin said:

I washed the truck, mowed the lawn and grilled fajitas with a few cold beers.  Now it's time to relax and watch the game with a nice pour of Glenfarclas 15.  :)

Mmmmmmmm Fajitas! :homer slobber:.  

Benromach 10.  I wish this was higher proof because I like what is here just looking for more oomph.  Nice fruity nose.  I like the blend of flavor with just a hint of peat and sherry.  Needs huevos.

Having my first pour from the bottle of Bains Cape Mountain Whisky I picked up today. Certainly a light, easy drinker, but it's refreshing and a fun diversion from the high proof stuff I've been having lately

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.