What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now? - Fall/Winter 2015/2016

Darwin
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Redbreast 12 while Mrssmokinjoe and I cook up dinner.  The Cask Strength version of Redbreast 12 is in my Top 5 Whiskies of any kind.  But, this standard bottling of RB12 is wonderful in its own right. 

11 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Redbreast 12 while Mrssmokinjoe and I cook up dinner.  The Cask Strength version of Redbreast 12 is in my Top 5 Whiskies of any kind.  But, this standard bottling of RB12 is wonderful in its own right. 

That is some mighty fine whisky!  You gettin' warmed up for the big day? 

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

That is some mighty fine whisky!  You gettin' warmed up for the big day? 

You bet I am, Paddy!  Just a few short weeks away. :)

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

The Cask Strength version of Redbreast 12 is in my Top 5 Whiskies of any kind. 

I think you might have talked me into giving the cask strength RB12 another shot Joe. I'm a big fan of RB15 and have always been surprised how the 12 yr, whether regular or cask strength, seems so underwhelming to me in comparison. (then again, sometimes I think my taste buds change on an hourly basis so what the hell do I know?)

With the big day just around the corner, it's a great excuse to make the purchase and do a proper side by side

I've been on a bit of a Springbank kick lately.  A couple of nights ago was the Campbeltown Loch 21 Yr blend (the 80 proofer), and last night was Springbank 15. 

The Campbeltown Loch 21 is really terrific stuff--I know it's not widely available, but I stumbled upon a few bottles at a random store for $65/bottle.  I'm not a big fan of 80 proof anything, but it works well with this blend--it oozes Springbank goodness, with the extra depth of being aged 21 years, and is just very drinkable.

The Springbank 15 has quite a bit of smoke, but after being open a few weeks, the fruit is coming to the forefront a bit more.  Really complex, delicious scotch. 

A pour of Glenmorangie Milsean again last night.  This was my third from the bottle.  I still don't know about this one yet.  It is sweet but actually last night a little less sweet than I remembered.  The fruit/wine influence is there. It tastes young.  It's certainly not bad, but I don't think I'm going to end up calling it great either.

Edited by meadeweber

1 hour ago, meadeweber said:

A pour of Glenmorangie Milsean again last night.  This was my third from the bottle.  I still don't know about this one yet.  It is sweet but actually last night a little less sweet than I remembered.  The fruit/wine influence is there. It tastes young.  It's certainly not bad, but I don't think I'm going to end up calling it great either.

Interesting notes. Georgia seems to still be lagging behind on getting this one but I look forward to trying it. Interesting that you felt like it tasted young. I would guess it is at least 10yo and probably older but of course it is NAS so I don't know what the age is for sure. I do recall seeing reports that the whisky was being impacted by the retoasted wine barrels faster than expected and so it was bottled earlier than had originally been intended!

Edited by tanstaafl2

The fire is roaring here tonight in Somerset, UK. Post-dinner I had a healthy pour of Springbank 10, now onto a cask strength Highland Park bottle by Gordon & MacPhail which has an intriguing coffee note on the finish at the very end. Great stuff. 

Cheers all!

Got a jump on St. Patty's Day with a pour of Redbreast CS, Batch B1/11.  Love this stuff, and it never disappoints.  Glad I have a couple more bottles of Batch B1/11 in the bunker.

Having my first pour of the Bruichladdich Port Charlotte. Really smoky, nice peat. I'm really liking these offerings of this distillery. 

Cheers SB. 

IMG_20160304_191411.jpg

Enjoying the last pour from my bottle of Bunnahabhain 12. Sad to see this go. Enjoying the sherried sweetness, ghost of peat, and mineral notes. 

Had some BenRiach Authenticus 21 yr.  Love the smoke without the medicinal/iodine taste.

A nice afterwork dram, we'll deserved. Cheers SB. I'm really loving the smokiness of this Scotch. Yes it is an NAS. Definately a really nice one. I'm going to be exploring this a bit more for nosing.

Bruichladdich Port Charlotte.

Cheers SB 

Now I really want to compare the port charlotte 12 year against this NAS Port Charlotte. This is a really nice scotch. 

Cheers SB!

Glenfarclas 105 with some water last night.  When I'm in the mood for a sherry forward Scotch, this stuff is great.

In anticipation of the festivities, I got into the Red Breast 12yr CS this evening.  Been several days without a pour, and really enjoying it!

Still on a Scotch kick.  Had a pour of Laph Quarter Cask last night.  I love the balance of peat, creamy/buttery, sweetness, and oak in this one.  

I'm in the mood for a wee dram tonight and the Compass Box Great King Street Artist's blend is the first open bottle I found.  It's one of the better blends I have had.

Despite the holiday, opted for a blind SBS of Flaming Hearth 4th & 5th (2012/2015).  Decided they are both fantastic pours, but tonight I gave the nod to the 2015.  Topped the night off with a belated birthday pour of CB The General.  Delicious stuff!

Blowing through the Irish here, on St. Patrick's Day.  Redbreast CS, The Irishman, Bushmill's Black Bush, Power's John Lane, Middleton Very Rare, and whatever else I can find...  :lol:

I finished the evening with another tryst with my newest paramour, Redbreast 21. What else could one possibly want?

I have a nasty cold, but in honor of SPD, had a small tipple of Bushmills 16 last evening.  I do enjoy Bushmills 16, but waver back and forth on whether it is worth the $70.  If I was in better health, I would have had pours of RB12 CS, TD Phoenix and PJL last evening, my powerful Irish trilogy.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.