What Bourbon did you pass up today? Fall 2015

Tony Santana
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

19 hours ago, miller542 said:

Passed on WT Master's Keep that showed up in my area recently.  Continued passing on the WT Diamond sitting next to it.  No gouging here in a control state, $150 for the MK and $125 for the Diamond, I just won't spend more than $100 on a single bottle of anything.  Even the $50 bottles have me thinking more than once with all the good stuff in the $25-$40 range.

I'll join the rest of the crowd scratching my head at WT's pricing strategy with their limiteds.

You are right miller, WT missed the mark with their pricing strategy on these limiteds.  If the Diamond was around $75 it probably would have sold even though from what I hear it's not very good.  I've had the MK and it is quite good but I can understand people passing at that price.  At a little under $100, I think it would have sold much better.

I don't think there is any harm to WT in the short term for missing the mark.  I'm sure they didn't have trouble selling their entire stock of these 2 bourbons to the distributors with how crazy the market is for limiteds right now.  But maybe if this continues, and they languish on the shelves, retailers and distributors will cut back their orders on subsequent limited releases.  Again maybe not with how crazy things are right now.

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2015‎ ‎8‎:‎03‎:‎33‎, GAbiker said:

Michters Toasted Oak for $119.99 and Stagg JR for 69.99

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2015‎ ‎10‎:‎35‎:‎32‎, flahute said:

Good God. I wouldn't pay $20 for Toasted Oak.

I didn't think the Toasted Oak was all that terrible although I am not the biggest Michter fan in general. But I certainly wouldn't give it a second look for $120.

Passed on everything bourbon today (not that I saw much that was of interest anyway) and decided to pick up some Irish Whiskey instead!

1 hour ago, s8ist said:

Not sure what those normally retail for, but there are a few of us who'd have been all over that toasted oak.

Probably half that or less as I recall when it first appeared. Maybe $50ish. A second batch followed but I don't know how much the price might have changed as I wasn't looking for it. I think the one I am thinking of was called Toasted Barrel so maybe this is different?

Edited by tanstaafl2

Joseph A. Magnus & Co. opened a distillery in WashDC in September 2015.  They released their NDP bourbon about the same time - available for sale at the distillery at the coming-out party.  I saw my first bottle in the wild today: $110 a 750.  Their gin should be available soon.  I think I'll start with that.

Bourbon 30 hit the shelves here this week.  I've been passing, but keep hearing good reports from store managers who have sampled. 

I'm not going guinea pig on this one... anyone here got a try at it yet? 

Bueller??? 

Edited by Paddy

Passed on OWA 1.75 ltr @ $49.99 and WSR 1.75 ltr @ $34.99 . . . have plenty of Weller on hand.

Also tempted by Old Ezra 101 7yo @ $15.99 . . . don't see it often at this price, but have one on hand.

I wanted a bottle of Knob Creek, but it has gotten very expensive, here ($36). So, I just git WT101, saving $11. Sigh.

Tim

Edited by ratcheer
To correwct typo

11 hours ago, dcbt said:

Blade and Bow NAS.  At one point I think I was interested but the $45 price tag seemed a bit hefty.

You're better off buying some FRSB. I tried B&B a while back and thought it tasted like FR. Not bad but not worth the extra cash. 

15 hours ago, dcbt said:

Blade and Bow NAS.  At one point I think I was interested but the $45 price tag seemed a bit hefty.

I have regular customers that listen to me when I recommend bourbons that I think they might like based on previous purchases.   So I listen when 95% of them tell me they have tried B&B and is not worth $45....not worth $20 I've been told.

Saw the JEF20 in the case at the high end grocery store.  Have a group that's willing to split the bottle.  Store wanted $500 so it's still on the shelf.

7 hours ago, Swoboda said:

Maker's Mark Cask Strength 750ml . . . $39.88 sale price at local shop . . . I may cave at that price.

That's a great price.  It's $60 in VA

4RSmB 2015 LE for $10 a pour at a local place. If I had seen it earlier I would have ordered one, but we were on our way out :(

1 minute ago, b1gcountry said:

4RSmB 2015 LE for $10 a pour at a local place. If I had seen it earlier I would have ordered one, but we were on our way out :(

Go back!!! That's a great price. I'd be there every night until the bottle was empty.

It was a successful dinner with the wife, so we will probably be back. The pours were very small. 3/4 oz, but seemed to get smaller over the course of dinner

Edited by b1gcountry

Passed on batches 5 and 6 of Bookers. I've still got batch 2 open, and both 3 & 4 waiting in the wings.

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2015‎ ‎8‎:‎46‎:‎09‎, GAbiker said:

I have regular customers that listen to me when I recommend bourbons that I think they might like based on previous purchases.   So I listen when 95% of them tell me they have tried B&B and is not worth $45....not worth $20 I've been told.

I saw Blade and Bow (NAS) for $59 down here in Middle GA yesterday.   I've never tried the stuff myself - it was the first time I'd seen it.  The store owner told me it was "berry guud bourbon" but I passed.  Few minutes later, some guy came in the liquor store and bought the whole case while I was there.  He was so excited, you'd think he'd just purchased some Pappy! 

Edited by starhopper

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.