What Bourbon did you pass up today? Fall 2015

Tony Santana
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

13 minutes ago, b1gcountry said:

I passed up on bookers for 36.99 and larceny for 17.29.

Those are some serious deals. You must be well stocked!

Amen on the deals - I'd have rented a truck.  Well, not really.

2 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Amen on the deals - I'd have rented a truck.  Well, not really.

A spare trunk maybe?

That's a heck of a deal on Booker's. To pass that up you must either not like it that much, or, are well stocked. I'd have bought a few at least.

5 hours ago, amg said:

I guess this is one way to find out when the boom has peaked.

My boom peaks unless I've had too much Bourbon.

The sale is good until Dec 30. I bought one bottle of the maw maw 15-05 batch of bookers. I wanted to open itbefore I bought any more. Any one here try it yet?

I saw my first EWSB 07 yesterday as well. It was 8 years, 3 months old. I passed.

The store has the McKenna and the EWSB priced the same, so it will be McKenna from here on out.

3 hours ago, KyleCBreese said:

I saw my first EWSB 07 yesterday as well. It was 8 years, 3 months old. I passed.

The store has the McKenna and the EWSB priced the same, so it will be McKenna from here on out.

That's a good decision.  Although there is some variation in HMcK, it is usually solid.

So the 2007 release is only a little more than 8 years?  Less each year.  I remember when the EW Black Label was standard at 7 years and so labeled.  If McKenna BiB 10 were the same price here as the EWSB, choosing the McKenna would be a no brainer for me, and I very much like the EWSB.

13 minutes ago, O'DubhGhaill said:

So the 2007 release is only a little more than 8 years?  Less each year.  I remember when the EW Black Label was standard at 7 years and so labeled.  If McKenna BiB 10 were the same price here as the EWSB, choosing the McKenna would be a no brainer for me, and I very much like the EWSB.

I like the EWSB too, but more age and a higher proof, from the same distillery, for the same price. I have to go with McKenna.

1 hour ago, KyleCBreese said:

I like the EWSB too, but more age and a higher proof, from the same distillery, for the same price. I have to go with McKenna.

I wish McKenna was the same price as EWSB here. Even so, it's still a great value at $30ish. Don't quite understand why places here charge more for McKenna than EC12, but I can't complain about so many great choices from Heaven Hill for very reasonable prices.

Keep passing on MWND. Would really like to try it, but just can't stomach the $105 that the state wants for it.

2 minutes ago, GrPeMi said:

Keep passing on MWND. Would really like to try it, but just can't stomach the $105 that the state wants for it.

I won't suggest to you that it is "worth" it, but I'll just say that there aren't many whiskies quite like it.  I love the HW Campfire because it is so absurdly bizarre, but MWND is David Perkin's best work to date, IMO.  Scrumptiously delicious whiskey.

^^^^What Joe said. Worth it to me. Not a daily drinker at that price of course, but worth having around for certain occasions - the Christmas holiday being one of the primary ones.

Passed on AECS for $159, Michters 10 for $85, and FR Private Barrels OESO/OESV/OESF/OBSQ for $49-65

Also passed on a Winchester Bourbon signed/single barrel - no idea what that was?

17 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I won't suggest to you that it is "worth" it, but I'll just say that there aren't many whiskies quite like it.  I love the HW Campfire because it is so absurdly bizarre, but MWND is David Perkin's best work to date, IMO.  Scrumptiously delicious whiskey.

Has it been consistently good all 3 versions of MWND? Probably won't get one this year, but might buy one blind next year provided OR doesn't raise the price another $20 like they did this year.

6 hours ago, Night Gallery said:

Passed on PHC Malt at $99 (they had multiples).

I passed one of those a $199.99 and an ETL at $46.99.  Ouch!

I have to keep posting on this thread since I think I have located the world's most expensive bourbon shelf prices:

Rhetoric 21 $369.99.  Can anyone (and I am looking at you Manhattan and London) beat that?

Also, one bottle each of the two most common Van Winkle expressions are now on the shelf with no price at all, but the shelf has a big tag that says "Van Winkle" and has the name of the store (presumably anticipating people will want to photograph these holy grail rarities).

The $999 WLW continues to be for sale also.

On the more positive side, the ETL that was previously priced at $139.99 is down to $99.99, matching the price for the Stagg Jr. on the shelf next to it.

I am not making this up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.