What Bourbon did you pass up today? Fall 2015

Tony Santana
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4 hours ago, GrPeMi said:

Has it been consistently good all 3 versions of MWND? Probably won't get one this year, but might buy one blind next year provided OR doesn't raise the price another $20 like they did this year.

Yessir , I can't recall any bottle I have owned and/or tasted having been anything less than stellar for me.  So, I would have to guess that should continue .  

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2015‎ ‎3‎:‎53‎:‎56‎, GrPeMi said:

Has it been consistently good all 3 versions of MWND? Probably won't get one this year, but might buy one blind next year provided OR doesn't raise the price another $20 like they did this year.

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2015‎ ‎8‎:‎51‎:‎01‎, smokinjoe said:

Yessir , I can't recall any bottle I have owned and/or tasted having been anything less than stellar for me.  So, I would have to guess that should continue .  

There is some slight variation to me in each batch which is in part just the nature of the beast. I presume David is using fresh barrels each year to finish this little jewel and so it isn't likely to be exactly the same each time (I think he has said as much in the past). But I also think they have all been excellent. I am particularly fond of the original "Act 1" but if I had them in a bind tasting I doubt I could pick out one from another with any consistency.

Traveling over holiday break in TN, I passed on 2015 AECS for $179, a handful of different store selections of FRSB and SAOS, several Confederate themed bourbons which I'm assuming are NDP and probably not allowed to be purchased by Union scum, and several bottles of Hancock's Presidential Reserve for $50 that have been sitting in one store for a while judging by the BT date code of 2013.  I've never tried the latter but I haven't read anything indicating it is any better than ETL, Blanton's, or RHF.

I wasn't terribly hopeful in finding anything allocated or limited since the shelves looked a little picked over due to the holidays.

Jason

Saw a Parker's Heritage Malt without a price tag in the high price case. When I asked, I was told $129 and started to walk away. The owner said he'd give me a "first time customer" discount if I bought it but I passed.

Pased on Stagg Jr yesterday. There were 4 bottles just sitting there wondering why no one wanted them . 

I have two so passed 

On 1/6/2016, 4:32:11, bin31z said:

Passed on ECBP at retail today. Just too many in the bunker already. 

This is a good situation to be in. Lot's of guys in other parts of the country who can't find one.

Old Forester Single Barrel @ $29.99 . . . curious about this one, but OF Signature will have to do for now ($22.99).

MWND for $75.99 . . . surprised to see this . . . we have other ryes on hand, so passed.

3 hours ago, Swoboda said:

Old Forester Single Barrel @ $29.99 . . . curious about this one, but OF Signature will have to do for now ($22.99).

MWND for $75.99 . . . surprised to see this . . . we have other ryes on hand, so passed.

If you are really interested in the MWND, you might want to pick it up now. Once gone, it's likely to stay gone until next fall.

14 minutes ago, flahute said:

If you are really interested in the MWND, you might want to pick it up now. Once gone, it's likely to stay gone until next fall.

If really interested or just at all interested, he should pick up that MWND.  In all seriousness, it is incredibly good IMO, and no question one of the most consistently highly reviewed and regarded whisk[e]ys that I can recall.

1 hour ago, b1gcountry said:

If anyone has a line on hwmwnd around stl let me know. ..

If you drive 3.5 hours to the west, there appears to be some.

On 1/9/2016, 12:00:31, kyrocklover said:

EC18 for $149.99 and Kentucky Owl for $229.99.

Be sure to share your comments on Kentucky Owl if you are so inclined.  The audience may not be friendly, but they certainly will be receptive.B)

At least, I will.

5 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Be sure to share your comments on Kentucky Owl if you are so inclined.  The audience may not be friendly, but they certainly will be receptive.B)

At least, I will.

Sorry, but I passed these up.  

Live in Chicago but traveling in Texas for work.  Stopped by a few spots from force of habit and had to pass on some great selections of Weller (special reserve in 3 sizes!).   Not disappointed, however, to pass on the Ancient Age Blended Whiskey (something I didn't even know existed).

image2.JPG

image3.JPG

image1.JPG

Passed on this Heritage Dual Barrel. Looks like another one that slipped past the TTB as I don't think they can call it bourbon if second-fill barrels were used. 

20160109_142125.jpg

1 hour ago, mosugoji64 said:

Passed on this Heritage Dual Barrel. Looks like another one that slipped past the TTB as I don't think they can call it bourbon if second-fill barrels were used. 

20160109_142125.jpg

If it hit a new barrel for 30 minutes and then was aged in used barrels it presumably could be called bourbon if the other requirements were met. That would be a pretty big waste of new barrels of course and perhaps it should be more accurately labeled as" bourbon finished in used barrels" or something to that effect. The website seems to indicate they have a still so I suppose it could be their own make that goes into new barrels first and then used barrels but again that would use up expensive new barrels in a hurry. Sourced whiskey that is then rebarreled in used barrels seems more practical. Distillery opened in 2012 so even if it is their distillate as noted can't be much in the way of aged spirit to be had.

Interesting to note that the second barrel was used to age "vanilla extract" first. Perhaps a good way to cover up some other flavors...

Can't be a labeling error. That NEVER happens!

Edited by tanstaafl2

3 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

If it hit a new barrel for 30 minutes and then was aged in used barrels it presumably could be called bourbon if the other requirements were met. That would be a pretty big waste of new barrels of course and perhaps it should be more accurately labeled as" bourbon finished in used barrels" or something to that effect. The website seems to indicate they have a still so I suppose it could be their own make that goes into new barrels first and then used barrels but again that would use up expensive new barrels in a hurry. Sourced whiskey that is then rebarreled in used barrels seems more practical. Distillery opened in 2012 so even if it is their distillate as noted can't be much in the way of aged spirit to be had.

Interesting to note that the second barrel was used to age "vanilla extract" first. Perhaps a good way to cover up some other flavors...

Can't be a labeling error. That NEVER happens!

That distillery is near me so I know they are distilling their own. I've tasted it and it's, well........., young. Not that good yet. I've never seen the bottle in the photo above, but I assume it's their own and young. I only put in the qualifier just in case this was a special sourced batch.

2 minutes ago, flahute said:

That distillery is near me so I know they are distilling their own. I've tasted it and it's, well........., young. Not that good yet. I've never seen the bottle in the photo above, but I assume it's their own and young. I only put in the qualifier just in case this was a special sourced batch.

Looks to be a rye version of this as well. No age statement so unless it is on the back it must be at least 4 years old which is hard to do for a distillery that started in 2012! So very young as you say or sourced. I am guessing young with plenty of small barrel twang that is then gussied up with a little vanilla extract perfume!

I don't think there is any age requirement unless you state "straight bourbon". I think straight means a minimum of 2 years. I'm too lazy to look it up on Wikipedia :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.