What bourbon did you purchase today? Winter 2015-16 edition.

dcbt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Picked up both EC 18 and for giggles Crown Royal Harvest Rye yesterday.

The CR Harvest Rye is actually pretty good - who would have "thunk"

I was surprised to see EC18 around here in Virginia. The store nearby had 3 bottles on the shelf, amazingly, so I picked up one and left the other two. If it had been a bit cheaper I may have grabbed a second bottle, but $129.99 is already expensive.

Got a call from a local store that they had a Pappy 20 for me...I asked them to repeat themselves and they said a Pappy 20.  I ran over and grabbed it.  After talking to the lady at the store for a few minutes it turns out I was on the waiting list for 3 years.  I laughed about that for several minutes in the car.

Picked up a Pikevilles Rye. Been looking for a SAOS replacement, pretty good but a little light on the flavors. I'm going to keep searching.

Went into a store I don't frequent very often to pick up a couple of WTRB 108 proofs. Store owner asked me "you like the rare bourbon"?  I said yes, but also like non-rare as well. He pointed behind him and low and behold there sat a ORVW for 79.99 and a THH for 99.99. I bought both. Walked out with the biggest smile on my face, told my wife what just transpired and she said well Merry Christmas you giant dork. Lol...I love her so much. Oh yeah the WTRB we 39.99 each. Done spending for the year.  Merry Christmas everyone!

11 minutes ago, jasmorg1075 said:

Went into a store I don't frequent very often to pick up a couple of WTRB 108 proofs. Store owner asked me "you like the rare bourbon"?  I said yes, but also like non-rare as well. He pointed behind him and low and behold there sat a ORVW for 79.99 and a THH for 99.99. I bought both. Walked out with the biggest smile on my face, told my wife what just transpired and she said well Merry Christmas you giant dork. Lol...I love her so much. Oh yeah the WTRB we 39.99 each. Done spending for the year.  Merry Christmas everyone!

Wow.  Great score!

1 hour ago, jasmorg1075 said:

Good for you. Merry Christmas. :)

Got a call from the liquor store this morning that I had won a lottery for a van winkle bottle. Showed up to the store shortly after and drew out of a brown bag that had slips of paper with all the bottles they received. Ended up drawing out a VWSR Lot B!!! Pretty excited about it. Also picked up a Nikka Taketsuru 12 year. I honestly had forgotten that I even entered into the lottery list.

2 hours ago, jasmorg1075 said:

Now that's what I call a great Christmas gift

I finally gave in to the temptation of one of the two bottles of Rock Hill Farm that I have looked at for some time.  

Did some final Christmas Eve shopping at a small independent store on a hunch that they might have something interesting n the shelf on Christmas Eve. It was a good hunch as they had the Parkers Heritage Malt Whiskey. First I've seen it here. This one was not on my radar but I like to support this store so I picked one up.

Also grabbed an OESK and a WFE 6yr rye.

On 12/23/2015, 9:47:59, miller542 said:

First ever Booker's for me and looking forward to doing a side-by-side-by-side with Knob Creek, Baker's, and Booker's.

No Basil Hayden?

I was on the hunt to backfill my rapidly dwindling Beam Bonded.  I finally found a place that had a couple bottles on the shelf, so they came home with me... but two bottles of JW Dant BIB and a fifth of Baker's was collateral damage to the wallet during the quest. 

Decided to hop on the EWSB bandwagon and picked up an '05 and, surprisingly, an '04.

Having trouble believing that they're somehow getting the same profile with stuff that's 2 years younger than earlier vintages. So I guess it was a bit motivated by fear of missing out.

Have some other bottles to empty before one of these gets opened...

58 minutes ago, GrPeMi said:

Decided to hop on the EWSB bandwagon and picked up an '05 and, surprisingly, an '04.

Having trouble believing that they're somehow getting the same profile with stuff that's 2 years younger than earlier vintages. So I guess it was a bit motivated by fear of missing out.

Have some other bottles to empty before one of these gets opened...

Don't sweat it and get some Henry McKenna BIB. Still 10 years old and better in my opinion.

6 hours ago, flahute said:

Don't sweat it and get some Henry McKenna BIB. Still 10 years old and better in my opinion.

I like both, but good point.  Henry McKenna is 100 proof, and 10 years old.  Can't beat that!  I've got a few bottles of that open right now and two of them were barreled on the same day (9/30/2004) so it's interesting to do a side-by-side comparison.

I've gone through most of a bottle of McKenna, it was always sort of meh to me. Not sure if any of that bottle is left. If so, I'll try them side-by-side.

14 minutes ago, GrPeMi said:

I've gone through most of a bottle of McKenna, it was always sort of meh to me. Not sure if any of that bottle is left. If so, I'll try them side-by-side.

Remember the single barrel variation factor. I was also sort of meh on my first bottle of McKenna. Decided to give it another shot for no particular reason and loved it. Of course, you may just not like it period.

2 hours ago, flahute said:

Remember the single barrel variation factor. I was also sort of meh on my first bottle of McKenna. Decided to give it another shot for no particular reason and loved it. Of course, you may just not like it period.

Maybe...but EC12 and ECBP are big thumbs up for me. McKenna (at least my bottle) seemed drier & favored the  rye a bit more. Maybe oakier, too?. Not gonna drive myself crazy over it. Was in town and close to the TW, so I decided to grab the EWSB's. Not planning on chasing/hunting them...plenty of other stuff to drink, both in my cabinet & in the store.

6 minutes ago, GrPeMi said:

Maybe...but EC12 and ECBP are big thumbs up for me. McKenna (at least my bottle) seemed drier & favored the  rye a bit more. Maybe oakier, too?. Not gonna drive myself crazy over it. Was in town and close to the TW, so I decided to grab the EWSB's. Not planning on chasing/hunting them...plenty of other stuff to drink, both in my cabinet & in the store.

Yep - drier and oakier is how I would describe my first bottle of HMcK. Every one since then has been more like EC12.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.