What bourbon did you purchase today? Winter 2015-16 edition.

dcbt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, Madhatter said:

Hmmm.  I wonder what a mix of Maker's 46 with OWA would taste like, as a substitute for the Weller 12:OWA mix?  Someone with both, give it a try and report.  Thx.

I might dig out my OWA to try this and compare to my SB blend since I likely won't be able to find a W12 any time soon.

Mingled a pint.  The SB blend has been mingling a long time so I will try to give this at least a day or two before I try and compare.

Edited by fozzy71

This is a good idea, I may mix up a glass right now, and a bottle with some OWA and MM46, it's at least worth trying a glass.  Will report back.

Fozzy, did you try a little taste?  Now I'm curious about how it will turn out.

I did not.  I had a few pours last night and don't usually drink 2 days in a row.  I may have a few sips tomorrow night.

Picked up a Liquor Barn Four Roses OBSQ (11 years 6 months 110 proof) and OBSF (11 years 5 months 119.2 proof).  

On 1/9/2016, 3:38:56, Hop said:

Received my two bottles of Blanton's SFTB tonight. One had a small leak at the seal so I lost about 50ml. Just a bit more for the Angels Share but the box smelled heavenly as I was unpacking it!

I got 2 a while back as well and one was leaking also. Seems like the corks aren't too good on these in general. It seems to be a small "bubble" in the cork on the side that allowed a small amount to leak past. The downside was that the bottle that had the leak smelled and tasted very bland compared to the other one, which was amazing. 

On 1/10/2016, 1:42:37, Madhatter said:

Hmmm.  I wonder what a mix of Maker's 46 with OWA would taste like, as a substitute for the Weller 12:OWA mix?  Someone with both, give it a try and report.  Thx.

On 1/10/2016, 4:03:05, fozzy71 said:

I might dig out my OWA to try this and compare to my SB blend since I likely won't be able to find a W12 any time soon.

Mingled a pint.  The SB blend has been mingling a long time so I will try to give this at least a day or two before I try and compare.

On 1/10/2016, 4:51:51, Jazz Nut said:

This is a good idea, I may mix up a glass right now, and a bottle with some OWA and MM46, it's at least worth trying a glass.  Will report back.

Fozzy, did you try a little taste?  Now I'm curious about how it will turn out.

On 1/10/2016, 5:43:03, fozzy71 said:

I did not.  I had a few pours last night and don't usually drink 2 days in a row.  I may have a few sips tomorrow night.

I suck with notes but just poured an ounce of each.  Nose is indistinguishable between the two, smell identical to me.  Had a sip of the SB first which I haven't had in a month or two and quickly remembered why I am trying to make it last, so good and sweet.  The MH blend (you just got a blend named after you) is a bit less sweet and unrefined but a tasty pour IMO.  It certainly doesn't taste the same, or quite as good, but is a decent replacement with the state of W12 (un)availability I think.

1 hour ago, fozzy71 said:

I suck with notes but just poured an ounce of each.  Nose is indistinguishable between the two, smell identical to me.  Had a sip of the SB first which I haven't had in a month or two and quickly remembered why I am trying to make it last, so good and sweet.  The MH blend (you just got a blend named after you) is a bit less sweet and unrefined but a tasty pour IMO.  It certainly doesn't taste the same, or quite as good, but is a decent replacement with the state of W12 (un)availability I think.

So, the MH blend was comparatively MeH?  Well, it sounded good on paper.  However, your results further reinforce the charm of the SB blend.  Thanks.  Report back if the MH blend changes.

I will.  I have a half full fifth of the SB blend and most of a fifth of the MH blend that I will push towards the back so I can savor/revisit some barrel proofers. 

Both are good IMO but the SB blend is better for whatever reasons to my palate.  Chances are, since I can't find W12, that I will make another/bigger bottle of the MH blend when this and the SB blend bottles run dry fwiw......  seems like a fitting way to kill the owa bottle I opened for this experiment.

picked up a couple of what I'm calling the old version bottles of RHF and a couple of 375's of BT cause they fit better in my suitcase when I'm travelling 

On January 11, 2016 at 9:54:11 PM, fozzy71 said:

I will.  I have a half full fifth of the SB blend and most of a fifth of the MH blend that I will push towards the back so I can savor/revisit some barrel proofers. 

Both are good IMO but the SB blend is better for whatever reasons to my palate.  Chances are, since I can't find W12, that I will make another/bigger bottle of the MH blend when this and the SB blend bottles run dry fwiw......  seems like a fitting way to kill the owa bottle I opened for this experiment.

Fozzy: I am enjoying the Larceny/MM46 1:1 blend immensely.  Heretofore to be known as the Fozzy blend?!?

8 hours ago, El Vino said:

Fozzy: I am enjoying the Larceny/MM46 1:1 blend immensely.  Heretofore to be known as the Fozzy blend?!?

I don't know if I have ever tried that blend, but I used to try all sorts of blends so it's hard to keep track now that I don't blend as much/often.  I also think I have one named after me already: BT:OGD114 which I prefer at a 3:1 ratio.

Edited by fozzy71
added

13 hours ago, MDBourbon said:

Picked up a bottle of EHTBP 135.4 Proof, been eyeing it for a while. 

Nice! You going to taste it soon? Assuming you got it at the place you mentioned to me, any more on the shelf? Shoot me a pm if so. 

Biz trip took me through Alabama today, and that means 1 thing: 4 Virgin 101's coming home with me. :)

Belated post, but I snagged 2 Booker's 2013-6 bottles, along with a third 2014-5. Good ol' duty free!!!

pick up Stagg Jr batch 5 and also RHF that I've been passing for weeks due to price...  figured I'd at least pick one up since I haven't seen it anywhere else at all.

6 minutes ago, DonutsNBourbon said:

pick up Stagg Jr batch 5 and also RHF that I've been passing for weeks due to price...  figured I'd at least pick one up since I haven't seen it anywhere else at all.

What's the price down there?  I have an open bottle that I have been nursing on infrequently for the same reasons.  It is $50 up here and I don't usually spend much over $40 unless it's a BP/LE.

Edited by fozzy71

Henry McKenna BIB.  It's been awhile since I grabbed one of these and I thought I'd rectify that situation.  Always a reliable pour.

I've been staying away from purchases because I bought so much in the fall. So of course I just had to go to a fairly new liquor store near me to see what they had and to of course inquire about their ability to get in the limiteds. (Never too soon to lay foundations for the next fall release season). I ended up striking quite the conversation with the owner when he realized I was an enthusiast and 30 minutes later I figured I should buy something so I went with an old standby - WT101 (with the new fancy label.) (Also bought some fancy beers)

4RSmB and a couple of orange cap OGD BIB's, as I'm avoiding any of the new OGD bottles as long as possible.

Just now, Paddy said:

4RSmB and a couple of orange cap OGD BIB's, as I'm avoiding any of the new OGD bottles as long as possible.

Long live the orange cap! I still have a few of those left. When I finish the last one, I'm going to save a couple of the bottles so I can make like Harry and decant the new ones into the orange caps.

2 minutes ago, flahute said:

Long live the orange cap! I still have a few of those left. When I finish the last one, I'm going to save a couple of the bottles so I can make like Harry and decant the new ones into the orange caps.

Harry is a genius like that, isn't he?

2 hours ago, Paddy said:

Harry is a genius like that, isn't he?

Harry is a genius like a lotta ways :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.