What bourbon did you purchase today? Winter 2015-16 edition.

dcbt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Found two bottles of this year's Michter's 10 yr old bourbon at a local ABCFWS for $79.99 each

24100073596_0b9abb83be_z (1).jpg

Old Fitzgerald 80 proof

EC12

CET single barrel

High West Double Rye matured in Quady port barrels. A super rich dram. 

On January 2, 2016 at 7:15:42 AM, Chris m said:

Depends what you mean. Yes, it is technically the same product, but WT101 has been in a steady decline for over two decades. Even the profile from 5-6 years ago is very different than what is currently bottled. Which one you like is up to you though--do a blind side-by-side and find out.

Though I'll agree that the older Turkeys from days gone by were some of the best tasting whiskey made, I have to give credit to WT for turning things around.  Personally speaking, I felt they hit bottom 5-6 years ago with their signature brand, as it was hot and extremely thin to me.  The recent 101 bottles I have tasted are a marked improvement, IMO.  And, their RR SBSmB selections can be spectacular, even.  

The recent 101 bottles I have tasted are a marked improvement, IMO. 

Interesting. I get thin, watery maraschino cherries from the current release. Did a blind tasting recently with mid-2000s bottle, current release, 8yr 101, MK, Diamond and mid-2000s/MK tied for first with current release very solidly in last place. Oddly enough, the friend I did it with chose the current release as his favorite, but it was the only one of the five he'd ever tasted. I hope you're right though, as 101 is what got me started with whiskey and it holds a dear place in my heart. 

1 hour ago, Chris m said:

Interesting. I get thin, watery maraschino cherries from the current release. Did a blind tasting recently with mid-2000s bottle, current release, 8yr 101, MK, Diamond and mid-2000s/MK tied for first with current release very solidly in last place. Oddly enough, the friend I did it with chose the current release as his favorite, but it was the only one of the five he'd ever tasted. I hope you're right though, as 101 is what got me started with whiskey and it holds a dear place in my heart. 

I've had good results with WT101 in the past year or two. I had a 375ml last summer that had a downright creamy mouthfeel that surprised me. 

Two superb store PS's earlier this week @ $49.99 each (thank you, Florida ABC)!

10 yr; 10 month; OSBQ @ 120.4 proof (x2)

10 yr; 11 month; OESO @ 105 proof (x2)

While picking up some 4RPS bottles I had purchased over the web (for store pickup) I also picked up a new RRSB store selection.

16 hours ago, Chris m said:

I have not had the opportunity to try anything but the current release of WT101 - I must say that I really find it quite tasty and enjoyable - right up there with my other favorites...OGD114, STAGG Jr, and SAOS10

On ‎01‎/‎03‎/‎2016‎ ‎2‎:‎33‎:‎50‎, gusto16 said:

Found two bottles of this year's Michter's 10 yr old bourbon at a local ABCFWS for $79.99 each

24100073596_0b9abb83be_z (1).jpg

What I'm trying to understand is why a Michter's 10 year commands $79.99 ($139.99 here!), but the standard, readily available Elijah Craig 12 year (an arguably very good bourbon) is only $29.95. Is the Michter's THAT much of a better bourbon? Is it simply because it is a barrel proof?

Edited by starhopper

1 hour ago, starhopper said:

..and I see that's it's not even a barrel proof - so not sure what the draw is.

All in a name.  Sure, it can be pretty good (I've had one bottle of it a couple of years ago), but you are getting 10 year bourbon of unknown provenance at a basic proof.  Current speculation seems to be BF, earlier speculation seemed to be HH. 

So for example, I paid about $70 for my bottle of the 10 year a couple of years ago, compared to $25 for a bottle of 10 year EWSB.  They tasted similar, with the Michter's perhaps having a slight edge.

One used to be able to find bottles of Michter's on the shelf a couple of years ago.  But now, the Michter's 10 and 20 year releases are caught up in the same limited edition boom as the other big guys like OFBB, Willett, PVW, etc., and it will sell out almost instantly.   I think it came in stock and out right away at one of my locals at $99.  It's just that type of bourbon market these days.

20 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

All in a name.  Sure, it can be pretty good (I've had one bottle of it a couple of years ago), but you are getting 10 year bourbon of unknown provenance at a basic proof.  Current speculation seems to be BF, earlier speculation seemed to be HH. 

So for example, I paid about $70 for my bottle of the 10 year a couple of years ago, compared to $25 for a bottle of 10 year EWSB.  They tasted similar, with the Michter's perhaps having a slight edge.

One used to be able to find bottles of Michter's on the shelf a couple of years ago.  But now, the Michter's 10 and 20 year releases are caught up in the same limited edition boom as the other big guys like OFBB, Willett, PVW, etc., and it will sell out almost instantly.   I think it came in stock and out right away at one of my locals at $99.  It's just that type of bourbon market these days.

Just insane IMHO. When the guy at the liquor store pulled out the Michter's 10 and said , "ONLY $139", I just laughed and said no thanks - I'll just take this bottle of EC12 for $29

Edited by starhopper

23 minutes ago, starhopper said:

Just insane IMHO. When the guy at the liquor store pulled out the Michter's 10 and said , "ONLY $139", I just laughed and said no thanks - I'll just take this bottle of EC12 for $29

But that fancy bottle sure is purdy! Gotta be worth an extra $50 for that alone...

:lol:

2 hours ago, starhopper said:

not sure what the draw is.

...but you bought it anyway - two of 'em, no less - because it was perceived as rare.

That's what the draw is.

Edited by The Black Tot

It's perception vs reality.  Everybody in the chain from the producer to the retail store owner has an economic interest is seeing that bottle sell for the highest price the market will bear and if creative marketing can turn a $20.00 Bourbon into one that sells for $139.00, well, that's a good deal for all.  Except the customer of course.

11 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

...but you bought it anyway - two of 'em, no less - because it was perceived as rare.

That's what the draw is.

Well, to be fair gusto16 did, not starhopper! And if someone really just wanted to try it for themselves (something I am routinely guilty of!) $80 is better than $140!

Just not sure I would have gotten two... B)

aha, my mistake. Sorry Starhopper.

Replace "you" with "someone". The ultimate message is that it sells regardless for reasons of perceived value vs reality, as Squire reinforced above.

LOL - no problem.  I think I got into the bourbon drinking "hobby" a little too late!  Just started three months ago (already have a bunker of 50 btls!).  Sure wish I had been drinking good bourbon back when it was not as "collectible"

It showed up locally a week or so ago and sold out right away, as did the 20 year. I passed. A friend of mine bought a bottle about 2 years ago (even back then it was $100 or so) and gave me a sample. Back then it tasted to me like it was a lot older than 10 years (which was the general word about it as I came to find out later), but even so, I didn't think it was worth the price so I never bought one for myself. I'm seeing negative reviews of the current 10 year release, among the comments being that it doesn't taste like it used to. If one were to speculate, one would presume they ran out of the older barrels and are now bottling 10 year old B-F bourbon.

I'm with the others who will happily purchase EC12 and HMcK BIB at 10 years old.

50 minutes ago, flahute said:

It showed up locally a week or so ago and sold out right away, as did the 20 year. I passed. A friend of mine bought a bottle about 2 years ago (even back then it was $100 or so) and gave me a sample. Back then it tasted to me like it was a lot older than 10 years (which was the general word about it as I came to find out later), but even so, I didn't think it was worth the price so I never bought one for myself. I'm seeing negative reviews of the current 10 year release, among the comments being that it doesn't taste like it used to. If one were to speculate, one would presume they ran out of the older barrels and are now bottling 10 year old B-F bourbon.

I'm with the others who will happily purchase EC12 and HMcK BIB at 10 years old.

This was much the same story with the 10yo single barrel rye which was allegedly as old as 18 years at one time (and possibly from the same source that made up Saz 18, at least until next year!). But with the shroud of mystery that Michter's chooses to cover their whiskey with it is hard to have much enthusiasm for it, not to mention the deliberate and disingenuous use of the original Michter's legacy that they coopted for their own. I have a few from several years ago when it appeared they might be bottling this older whiskey but haven't bought any in a while and am not likely to buy any more in the foreseeable future. 

I love this "hypothetical" chart from a bourbon blog post from several years ago! But how accurate it might be is beyond my ken. :D

568ae2b6d0c65_2-8ryevenn.png.9b0e429d2ac

Edited by tanstaafl2

2x SAOS 7 yr

2x Sazerac Rye 6 yr 

I got a bonus so money is burning my pockets. I may go buy the shelf of Old Weller Antique at my local shop. Someone stop me! :D

3 hours ago, Heashfus said:

2x SAOS 7 yr

2x Sazerac Rye 6 yr 

I got a bonus so money is burning my pockets. I may go buy the shelf of Old Weller Antique at my local shop. Someone stop me! :D

:lol: You're at the wrong party for that, 'cause everyone else here is probably thinking... oh hell,  just go ahead and buy the whole damn store!  :rolleyes:

Edited by Paddy

Over the holiday break I was visiting the in-laws in Franklin, TN.  I make the rounds any time we are there and this visit was no exception.  In addition to some local beer (Yazoo and Blackstone) I picked up a store selected 9 yr SAOS bourbon, FRSB PS 10+ yr OESK (IIRC) for $49 which is cheaper than the $60 going rate now, and a bottle of Balcones Baby Blue since Balcones is not distributed in IL as far as I know.  I tried some in the past at a bar in Florida and enjoyed it.

One of the stores had private selections of Jefferson's and Jefferson's Reserve...I didn't even know they had a barrel selection program.

Jason

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.