What bourbon did you purchase today? Winter 2015-16 edition.

dcbt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

11 hours ago, fozzy71 said:

What's the price down there?  I have an open bottle that I have been nursing on infrequently for the same reasons.  It is $50 up here and I don't usually spend much over $40 unless it's a BP/LE.

$70... :unsure:  higher than usual, but I guess better than secondary and the fact that I can't seem to find it anywhere else.

Not a bourbon, but decided to check out the hype for "Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye Whiskey" .  I'm not a fan of rye, but I thought it was a fairly pleasant pour.  While it does taste a little young to me, it has nice spice, honey and fruit notes that linger thru the finish.

And heck, how often does one get to purchase a "World Whiskey of the Year" for $33!? :huh:

Edited by starhopper

A good friend texted me, said he was driving through Kentucky and did I need anything: 

IMG_1607.jpg

EC with the "12" 750s on sale although the handles nearby had the new label and were not on sale; WT101 in a PET bottle (fishing starts in earnest soon), and one on-sale Booker's Dog batch.

24 minutes ago, DeluxeReverb said:

A good friend texted me, said he was driving through Kentucky and did I need anything: 

IMG_1607.jpg

So jealous.  That was the main thing I was hoping to find when I went to IN last summer but struck out at every store I stopped at.

I grabbed a SAOS SB 9 years and 120 proof at a store that has been marking up prices lately. Also grabbed a HW rendezvous rye. Both were at very fair prices and the store consistently has a 10% coupon on top of that for non sale items. Good day!

but it also not acceptable to openly solicit trades or sales of alcohol here, on SB.  

11 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

but it also not acceptable to openly solicit trades or sales of alcohol here, on SB.  

No it is not. Questionable posts have been removed.

Joe

Not a purchase per se, but I received a late Christmas gift from our neighbors across the street. He's a contractor that I hired to replace our rotten deck so as a thank you for the job, he gave my wife a bottle of wine and he gave me a 4R Small Batch. The deck was finished just in time for winter (naturally) so I'll be breaking it in big time this spring with that gift.

My baby needs fed, so a Family Size BT came home today.  And, because I can't say No, so did an ECBP.

My wife and I were out today doing our regular weekend grocery shopping. Of course I had to go take a look see at the liquor department. :huh: FWIW, I've learned to take a look at whats behind the checkout counter before heading to the bourbon aisle. As I walked up to the checkout counter, what caught my eye first was a bottle of Weller SR. Yes, Weller SR behind the counter. :blink: As I was about to ask about the Weller SR, I also spotted a few bottles of ETL. Limit of one on the ETL. :o So, after having them hold the Weller SR and an ETL for me, I went out and helped my wife with the groceries. We got our groceries, checked out, and headed back to the liquor department. On the way, I ran into the assistant store manager. A number of years ago, he was one of my "kids" when I coached high school bowling. He also used to be the liquor department manager. He saw me, waved and smiled and said "Hi Coach. Did you see we got some ETL in?"  What can I say? ;)

So, when all was said and done, I ended up with a Weller SR for $19.99, and an ETL for $34.99. Oh, my wife bought an ETL too. :D Not a bad day.

Cheers! Joe

Funny you noted the WSR behind the counter.  I saw it today (on the shelf) with a limit of 1 sign under it!  Never thought I'd see that!

I settled for a handle of OF BIB...:D

41 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Funny you noted the WSR behind the counter.  I saw it today (on the shelf) with a limit of 1 sign under it!  Never thought I'd see that!

I settled for a handle of OF BIB...:D

Good Lord help us when WSR is now behind the counter and a limit of one. Come on BT! Catch up already.

Picked up a bottle of MM46.  The pickens were slim at the ABC store today.  Unfortunately, the SAOS has dried up around Durham lately.  REALLY looking forward to heading to the distillery next month.

The limit of one was on the ETL. There was only one Weller SR. I asked why it was behind the counter. The gal kinda hemmed and hawed her explanation. Here's my take on things. They don't get any Weller very often, and when they do, it's only two or three bottles at a time. They put it behind the counter because it only lasts a day or two, and it would be a waste of time to make a space for it on the shelf. I did think it was odd they had more ETL than Weller SR. We bought two, and left a few behind.

Cheers! Joe

11 hours ago, Fort Knox said:

Picked up a bottle of MM46.  The pickens were slim at the ABC store today.  Unfortunately, the SAOS has dried up around Durham lately.  REALLY looking forward to heading to the distillery next month.

The Durham C-H Blvd store just got MMCS 750's, if you're into that. The best bottle in the store IMO is the Barrell Bourbon Batch 5- the best 'sleeper' bottle of the fall season. There was some Redemption CS Rye 8yr but it is now gone. The Jack Daniels Single Barrel , Barrel Proof just showed up, it is in a display by the front door. You could try Orange County for the SAOS, they might have some 7yr bourbon left but the rye has been gone since late last summer. Please let me know what the driving time to the distillery ends up being, I would like to plan a trip there myself.

In Fla for the weekend so picked up 3 bottles of HMcK BIB as well As a JW Green Label, my go to blended whisky.

Getting nervous about the aging dropping on the EC, so picked up the last EC12 with the "12" on the front label that was on the shelf, and a 1.75 that still says 12 years on the back label.

I purchased a Henry McKenna BiB (<$25), a Buffalo Trace because for some odd reason the price seems to be going up again ($28).   I also finally broke down and picked up a Metze Select Indiana Straight Bourbon whiskey for $67.71

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.