What bourbon did you purchase today? Winter 2015-16 edition.

dcbt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, jp_stargazer said:

Over the holiday break I was visiting the in-laws in Franklin, TN.  I make the rounds any time we are there and this visit was no exception.  In addition to some local beer (Yazoo and Blackstone) I picked up a store selected 9 yr SAOS bourbon, FRSB PS 10+ yr OESK (IIRC) for $49 which is cheaper than the $60 going rate now, and a bottle of Balcones Baby Blue since Balcones is not distributed in IL as far as I know.  I tried some in the past at a bar in Florida and enjoyed it.

One of the stores had private selections of Jefferson's and Jefferson's Reserve...I didn't even know they had a barrel selection program.

Jason

Jefferson's has done barrel selections for some time. The problem is that the standard Jefferson and Jefferson Reserve bottling's are a blend of different and generally unknown sourced whiskey as they freely describe on their website (they don't describe the age and source of course, just that it is a blend of bourbon's). By getting a single barrel of presumably just one of the bourbon's used in the blend you might be getting something better but using the off the shelf bottling as a guide is of limited value (unless you are getting a "single barrel " of whatever the latest blend is, which would be weird at best!) and you are also dependent on how good the people doing the selections are. If you have experience with a store that seems to pick good barrels it might be fine but a random selection from a store you don't know could result in a less than desirable bottle of whiskey.

So with Jefferson I tended to stick to the rye which is supposedly a single source of whiskey and I haven't even bought that in a while since it is now at best unclear where that comes from since they dropped the Canada designation a long time ago. Is it even still labeled as a ten year old as it once was?

Edited by tanstaafl2

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Jefferson's has done barrel selections for some time. The problem is that the standard Jefferson and Jefferson Reserve bottling's are a blend of different and generally unknown sourced whiskey as they freely describe on their website (they don't describe the age and source of course, just that it is a blend of bourbon's). By getting a single barrel of presumably just one of the bourbon's used in the blend you might be getting something better but using the off the shelf bottling as a guide is of limited value (unless you are getting a "single barrel " of whatever the latest blend is, which would be weird at best!) and you are also dependent on how good the people doing the selections are. If you have experience with a store that seems to pick good barrels it might be fine but a random selection from a store you don't know could result in a less than desirable bottle of whiskey.

So with Jefferson I tended to stick to the rye which is supposedly a single source of whiskey and I haven't even bought that in a while since it is now at best unclear where that comes from since they dropped the Canada designation a long time ago. Is it even still labeled as a ten year old as it once was?

That's what I was thinking at the time, wondering how one would know what a single barrel of one of their sourced whiskies would taste like compared to the regular bottling.  Unfortunately this store did not have a tasting bar, which is great for evaluating store selections.

I don't think I've ever seen the Jefferson's Rye.

Jason

4 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

It's been over a year since I last saw a bottle of Jefferson's rye on the shelf, and it was still labeled as Canadian then. I just assumed it was discontinued.

One would think a Canadian source.  What distillery other than Alberta Springs  has 10 year old Rye in such supply as to support a Nationally distributed brand like Jeffersons.  I don't think Jeffersons is available everywhere or all the time but it is pretty widespread.

On 1/4/2016, 8:01:14, Heashfus said:

. . . I got a bonus so money is burning my pockets. I may go buy the shelf of Old Weller Antique at my local shop. Someone stop me! :D

(Late to the party so apologies if the opportunity has passed you by) LIKE PADDY, I SAY LOAD UP!!

After years of passing it up, including before and as it lost its age statement, I finally caved and bought a couple of bottles of Jim Beam Black 8 Year that I came across.  Not that I "needed" these bottles in any respect, but with the reports of how sub-par the NAS JBB is, I decided to pick up a couple of bottles of the age-stated JBB to have around.

11 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

(Late to the party so apologies if the opportunity has passed you by) LIKE PADDY, I SAY LOAD UP!!

Enablers everywhere! Will do. :D

2 hours ago, MDBourbon said:

OWA Store Pick $23.99.  Great price. 

MDB - I've seen very few OWAs in the wild insideWashDC, and the price has been as high as $99.  Montgomery County (gov't stores only unlike the rest of MD) doesn't offer it, and neither does Virginia in its ABC stores.  SO, I agree that $24 for a store pick is a great price.  Heck, $50 would be better than $99.

A RRSmbSB first purchase of 2016 (left over from the remaining stores selection from 2015) and a damn fine one, LOVE this stuff!!

Wild Turkey Rare Breed 108 proof from a local kwik-e-licker. They have a lot of selection for a store that size. Also had some ewsb 2004, older bookers, blanton's, and a few more.

Low proof for the cask strength SAOS, but I really enjoy the standard 10 year. Excited to try the EC18.

image.jpg

Received my two bottles of Blanton's SFTB tonight. One had a small leak at the seal so I lost about 50ml. Just a bit more for the Angels Share but the box smelled heavenly as I was unpacking it!

Inspired by the Underrated Bourbons thread, I picked up a bottle of MM46, and am really enjoying it right now.  No, it doesn't have a super long finish, but it's sweet, some spices, and cinnamon.  With my dwindling stocks of Weller 12, and none in the area that I know of, this may become my go to "table wheater"

No bourbon, but I got the barrel. A BT barrel from a local brewery that used it for aging stouts. 

On January 7, 2016 at 11:29:52 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

MDB - I've seen very few OWAs in the wild insideWashDC, and the price has been as high as $99.  Montgomery County (gov't stores only unlike the rest of MD) doesn't offer it, and neither does Virginia in its ABC stores.  SO, I agree that $24 for a store pick is a great price.  Heck, $50 would be better than $99.

Harry, 

I got some standard OWA in Mont Co this year as well. It just does not last long.

Picked up some Henry McKenna 10 year BiB when I took the liquor store that sold me my Lot B this year a 2oz sample. They seemed to be pretty happy about it

9 hours ago, Hop said:

Received my two bottles of Blanton's SFTB tonight. One had a small leak at the seal so I lost about 50ml. Just a bit more for the Angels Share but the box smelled heavenly as I was unpacking it!

Blanton's Straight from the barrel is one of the absolute finest Bourbons I ever had the pleasure to sip. Since I am from Germany sourcing it is not so hard. Where are you from? I hear it's almost impossible to get outside Europe.

8 hours ago, OldDrinker1978 said:

Blanton's Straight from the barrel is one of the absolute finest Bourbons I ever had the pleasure to sip. Since I am from Germany sourcing it is not so hard. Where are you from? I hear it's almost impossible to get outside Europe.

I got it from a source in Europe and had it shipped.  It's crazy to me that its only produced for markets outside the US but is produced in the US... seems like Buffalo Trace is missing a big sales opportunity by not selling it here

18 hours ago, Jazz Nut said:

Inspired by the Underrated Bourbons thread, I picked up a bottle of MM46, and am really enjoying it right now.  No, it doesn't have a super long finish, but it's sweet, some spices, and cinnamon.  With my dwindling stocks of Weller 12, and none in the area that I know of, this may become my go to "table wheater"

Hmmm.  I wonder what a mix of Maker's 46 with OWA would taste like, as a substitute for the Weller 12:OWA mix?  Someone with both, give it a try and report.  Thx.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.