What bourbon are you enjoying? Winter 2015/16!

Paddy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

No, but the reference to 12 years old has been moved to the back of the bottle, buried in some text.  We shall see about the near future though, as there is some anticipation that EC12 will in fact go NAS.

a guy at the liquor store tried to tell me that since it's not on the front of the bottle anymore, it's not a legal age statement... :rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, b1gcountry said:

Let's not rehash the ec age statement...

Not trying to bring it up again, but, I thought since flahute called it ECSmB  that the age statement may have finally dropped like everybody thinks will happen. 

25 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

On point for the thread, last evening I had a first pour from a FRPS OESK, 9 years old, 115.8 proof.  My first OESK and no surprise, it was delicious.  Interestingly, this PS was not labeled with its age or recipe, so I had to reach out to Four Roses with the barrel information to get that info.  Love that company--doing it the right way.

I can't wait to try OESK some day but I fear the only way that will happen is a 10 hour round trip to Chicago/Binny's and back.  :unsure:

26 minutes ago, Golzee said:

Not trying to bring it up again, but, I thought since flahute called it ECSmB  that the age statement may have finally dropped like everybody thinks will happen. 

As said above its still 12 years. I'm only noting an acronym change since it now says "Small Batch" on the front of the bottle instead of the big red 12. This is to distinguish between labels which is not really important though we do have sticklers for detail here. (Which is a good thing).

20 minutes ago, flahute said:

As said above its still 12 years. I'm only noting an acronym change since it now says "Small Batch" on the front of the bottle instead of the big red 12. This is to distinguish between labels which is not really important though we do have sticklers for detail here. (Which is a good thing).

I might add, that the EC page on HH's website only refers to "small batch" and makes no mention of 12 years old, while the HMcK BIB and ECBP pages make mention of the 10 year and 12 year age statements, respectively.  It is not so far fetched to see where this all might be headed.

3 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

I might add, that the EC page on HH's website only refers to "small batch" and makes no mention of 12 years old, while the HMcK BIB and ECBP pages make mention of the 10 year and 12 year age statements, respectively.  It is not so far fetched to see where this all might be headed.

..AND, if you follow the link on that page to the "brand website" (Bardstown Whiskey Society)  and choose Elijah Craig Small Batch, the 12 year descriptor is nowhere to be found as well.  That is why, when I see the "Red 12" bottle on the shelf, I'm buying it!  Just bought two 1.75L handles of it the other day for $49.95 ea - I thought that to be a pretty good deal. I'm enjoying some right now! (which IS the topic of this thread, after all ^_^)

Edited by starhopper

Drank some RHF from my flask last night then some SAOS Contradiction at the bar here at the Carnegie Hotel (again) since I'd never tried it and didn't want to buy a bottle without doing so, it was a good pour and for $9 not too bad at the bar but not enough to make me want to purchase a bottle of this over their 10 year old normal stock or some of the store barrel picks I have tried

Tonight back on the RHF again - not sure the flask is going to last until Thursday...

Started with a newly opened Old Pulteney 17, followed up with Four Roses Single Barrel Store Selection OESO 12 years 2 months, deep, oaky, and very sippable at 55.5% ABV.

Started off with some Rod & Rifle that I have been saving for my first deer kill of the year. Too bad I have only gone twice this season because of work. It was actually really good for a 4 year bourbon.  Then had a McKenna and an ETL. 

Gotta celebrate a deer kill. 

I was rotating some stock in the cabinet bar, and discovered an ETL I had almost forgotten, wayyy at the back... Poured a glass, and was instantly hit with the reasons I was saving this one: big cinnamon, a little oak, then a long sweet finish.  I'm enjoying it with a nice tart Cara Cara orange for flavor contrast.

EDIT:  Moved more bottles, found a little MM 375ml that I had forgotten about.  Big glass of MM, paired with a brought-from-England Cadbury Dairy Milk chocolate bar, and I'm reaching a greater-than-usual level of relaxation and enjoyment.

Edited by Kalessin
Edited for more bourbon

17 hours ago, Kalessin said:

I was rotating some stock in the cabinet bar, and discovered an ETL I had almost forgotten, wayyy at the back... Poured a glass, and was instantly hit with the reasons I was saving this one: big cinnamon, a little oak, then a long sweet finish.  I'm enjoying it with a nice tart Cara Cara orange for flavor contrast.

EDIT:  Moved more bottles, found a little MM 375ml that I had forgotten about.  Big glass of MM, paired with a brought-from-England Cadbury Dairy Milk chocolate bar, and I'm reaching a greater-than-usual level of relaxation and enjoyment.

Enjoy the chocolate :)

I'm on Old Weller Antique thus evening. 

SAOS Single Barrel Store Pick from McScrooge's. It's a 9 year that clocks in at a hefty 120.2 proof. It's fantastic. I bought a bottle, discovered how good it was and promptly bought 4 more. It was on sale for only $40, which is cheaper than the standard SAOS 7 year in Virginia.

Starting with a jigger of Larceny from my next to last handle.  I need to make these last two handles last at least until the weather breaks since replacing them will require a 8 or 10 hour round trip most likely...

I was planning to keep stepping up the proof after this with some WTRB > Stagg JR > ECBP but that plan may change in favor of some lower proof/calorie pours like my bonded JD:EW vatting or a taste or two from my 'last pours' decanter that I would guess is in the 95 - 100 proof range though I have no way to know since I quit tracking what/when goes into it anymore.

That went down faster than expected...  Decided on a small pour of the OWA:MM46 mix I made the other day.  It's certainly not on the same smoothness level as the SB blend I mingled many months ago but it is a quality vatting either way and might smooth out some if left to mingle a bit longer in the basement.

I'm finishing off a bottle of RHF that's been open for about 6 months. This was a good barrel. 

Russell's Reserve 10 Yr

I've been ignoring offerings from Wild Turkey lately and I believe it's high time I remedy that!

• p_elliott locked this topic
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!