What bourbon are you enjoying? Winter 2015/16!

Paddy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

17 hours ago, flahute said:

Whoa!! You don't see 4R get into the 120's of proof very often.

I'm also drinking 4R tonight (standard single barrel) but at various times in the past week and a half, I've been drinking from a bunch of just purchased PS barrels: OESK, a different OESK, OBSF, and like you, an OESO and a OBSQ. The dividends of the cult.

Well done! 

The dividends are quite nice, especially when a 120 proofer drinks like candy!:D

Just tried 2014 4RLE and Bib&Tucker at a bourbon bar in Wilmington NC.  Bib&Tucker was marginal so glad I did not purchase a bottle in VABC.    14 4RLE  blew it away so I wished I had purchased one.   Also will probably regret missing out on the 15 4RLE after reading several reviews.   At any rate, this bourbon bar has over 100 bourbons including most of the unicorns.  They sell half pours as well as full pours so you can try a few at reasonable prices without the hassle or expense of chasing bottles.   

image.jpeg

Poured three small glasses tonight for nosing and drinking.  EC18, Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve Single Barrel Rye (not sure of the acronym??  WTRRSBR?), and ECBP 67.8%.  Have a happy Monday!

On a real Elijah kick... EC12 last night, more of the same tonight. Dry and woody and begs for another drink.

Celebrating my first day of a new job with Cured Oak and following that up with ORVW10.

The Cured Oak is very weird tonight, though I'm not sure if it is in a good or bad way yet.

On 12/30/2015, 10:41:07, smokinjoe said:

I picked up an OF Signature a couple of weeks ago, and have now spent a number of sessions with it.  Unfortunately, I continue to be pretty disappointed in it.  The nose is "pleasant", but without any of the fullness of aromas that I am accustom to with this label.  Totally lacking body over the palate and the finish is particularly distressing, as I am finding just a sharp crackle of pepper before abruptly disappearing.  I certainly don't know for sure, but I fear that BF may have rushed unready whiskey into this batch.  I hope it's not a long term shift, as this has been one of my favorite budget bourbons over the years.

Joe, I could be having the same experience.  It used to be only available in a couple liquor stores locally.  Recently a large grocery started to carry it, and a good price too.  It seems the last couple of bottles lack a certain richness I associate with the brand.  Meanwhile, some HH bonds have been tasting better.

Decided to re-visit a "dusty" I picked up last year of Old Fitz 10 year 101 proof in the decanter bottle.  Very little evaporation here as the cork stayed in good shape estimate this was bottled somewhere around 85-86 so it was distilled around 75-76 and is marked "Old Fitzgerald Distillery Inc Louisville KY" meaning it should be S/W juice.  

A great nose with a lot of sweetness and spice, beautiful Mahogany coloring, just superb.  The amount of spice picked up in a whiskey bottled this long as well as flavor is surprising to me but very well received.  The mouthfeel is thick and delicious, a great long finish that is continuing to tingle the tongue well after the last sip.

Glad I ran into this one and even happier it was in a store I bought from back when I was in my teens just for the nostalgia.

Switched over to OFBIB last night after the dusty OF101 - a lot of the same profile so staying true to the source

First pour for enjoyment in over a week, and went with a private 1792 pick.  Just spicy deliciousness on a chilly hump day! :)

Edited by darylld911

Quickly on my way to finishing off a bottle of Booker's 25th, and it has proven to be an exceptional ride.  Although I like Booker's in general, this one has proven to be beyond the typical Booker's in terms of taste, smoothness, and particularly finish.  A great bottle that I hate to see go.

Poured a little ECBP last night, been trying it with more water and have to say its not bad. Its less of an experience but it brings out different notes. Sampled my new batch of w12/owa mix as well.

I saw Mellow Corn BIB for the first time ever in NJ today, so I decided to pick it up. The color is very light, almost the same color as a Bud Light. The nose is gross, but I love the taste. There is a sweet, creamed corn with lots of spicy pepper. For $17, I enjoy it. 

Followed up the Mellow Corn with 4RSmB. Perfectly balanced with spice, sweetness, and floral notes. 

OGD bonded.  Yesterday, I finished up the dregs of WT101 I'd decanted and forgot about (needed the shelf space).

(ASIDE:  Don't freak, Paul, I have a WT101 open and another in the bunker.  BTW, Who do you like in the GB-Wash game this weekend?)

After an odd, but not unpleasant day at work today, I decided to have a couple of pours when I got home. I don't have much open right now, (other than a few things I'm experimenting with :ph34r:) so I opened a bottle of BT. Man, is this tasting good. A little sweet, a little spicy, and just a slight hint of the mustiness I love. It's hitting on all cylinders tonight. :D

Cheers! Joe

Having some Michters 10y SB tonight. It's a 2015, it's good but the previous year's have been better. All in all a really good bourbon. 

Started with rye and finished up with Barrel Bourbon (batch 5).  I'd been a while, and I must say that I didn't realize how much I'd missed it. 

Lusciuos, musty, barnyardy, vitaminy noted deliciousness... with a gold medal kick ass finish!  :P

New Year's Eve at Symphony Hall, my lovely wife and I danced all night to the stylings of a swing band and the Boston Pops Orchestra.  Saw two of my favorite bartenders, and enjoyed big pours of Knob Creek.

It's been a busy work week, so I've been unwinding with bourbon after getting home late.  Tuesday SAOS 7yr, Wednesday Dickel 9 year, and tonight Larceny with a cube.

I cracked my bottle of Elijah Craig barrel proof tonight. Only a few sips in, but I can already tell I like this one!

Last night a pour of GBS 4R OBSK kicked off 2016s Wednesday night pours. I have been on a "finish the opens" tour lately and this one was set aside for a good while. I thoroughly enjoyed the various non 4R pours of the last several weeks but coming back to the cult simply reaffirms that 4R is by far to my taste "the standard". Across several recipes it consistently delivers exactly what I love in bourbon, all cylinders fired, all boxes checked, nose, color, taste, texture, finish - slam dunk!! 

• p_elliott locked this topic
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!