What bourbon are you enjoying? Winter 2015/16!

Paddy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

9 hours ago, meadeweber said:

How did that blend come about?  Just finishing off bottles?

Yeah, kind of an odd combination, but I was finishing off the OFBB, and wasn't overly enamored of the Barterhouse (at least not for the price).  Just started tinkering, loved the WFE 10 and when I added some of that to the mix it really started to sing.

Knob Creek single barrel comparison. Binny's is deeper, more rich dark fruit and savory, Specs is lighter, more oak shavings, more interesting spice. I prefer the Binny's... If I want more yeast-driven pours then I may as well go for Four Roses. 

image.thumb.jpeg.3ec7c153f0c1b3f8cd23820

Been hitting the limiteds hard this holiday so I switched it up a bit with some ETL, 4RSB, 4R OBSQ, and now some CEHTBP 135.4 proof.

Edited by flahute
had to fix the proof - these things are important.

Had a 1 oz. pour of Handy followed by a 2 oz. pour of W12 at a local watering hole with some bread pudding. Finished the bottle of W12. Great night. 

Edited by Charlutz

did B&B last night, quite the tasty pour for the first opening of the bottle, gonna have to go back to it and give it a little more analysis though.

I revisited a Four Roses PS OESF last night, and boy is it minty. There are some good spice flavors in the background but the mint comes in early and gets stronger through the middle and finish. I've tried at least one other F yeast PS but it had more classic bourbon flavors to my palate. This one, while still good, is somewhat unusual.

13 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

Would that be the Hawks game in the background?

Yessir. Their inconsistencies have driven me to a pour-per-period, for better or worse. :)

For some reason, whenever I'm catching up on SB posts, I feel this powerful urge to pour myself some whiskey!  Today I went with an unusual choice for me:  I got one of the last bottles of the old Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve before they re-branded it:  10 years old, 101 proof, in the tall WT bottle.  There's still a bit left, mainly because I seem to have inconsistent reactions to it: sometimes I like it a lot; other times I don't care for it at all.  Recently I included it in a blind tasting and it did pretty well, so I decided to take a chance on it today.  Fortunately, today I'm liking it.

I was reading earlier in this thread posts about "on-palate days" and "off-palate days," and I definitely have them.  Sometimes I'm hesitant to pour the good stuff because I'm afraid that if I'm having an off-palate day it will go to waste.  One thing I've noticed is that even on what seems to be an off-palate day sometimes the pump can be primed, so to speak:  the first drink may not live up to its potential, but subsequent pours will be better.  I'm not saying this to be cute; I've really observed it.  Of course there is the danger of palate fatigue, too.

Edited by chasking

We hosted a tasting for a dozen neighbors Monday night . . . lots of nice whiskey was shared with many bringing their favorites.

FRSiB, Town Branch, Stagg Jr(132.2), GTS2014, PVW15(2014), EHTSiB, EHTSmB, OGDBIB, OGD114, FRYL, MM46,

Cut Spike, Ballast Point Single Malt, Cedar Ridge, Mellow Corn and a couple others . . .

There were noobs and experienced tasters in attendance . . . practically everything tasted received positive reactions and comments.

The only complaint came from someone late in the evening when he gulped some Mellow Corn and nearly spit it!  He refused

to believe it was four years old . . . pretty funny actually.  My fave was the GTS . . . will savor this one as long as I can make it last . . . big caramel, dark fruits and killer burn.

This was my first taste of any PVW and the 15 was very enjoyable . . . soft wood, baking spices, fresh bread and some mustiness . . . beautiful longish, dry finish with lots of warmth.

I really liked the EHT's . . . right up my alley.  Cheers to a Happy New Year !

Edited by Swoboda

Going out for BBQ in a bit so I'm having a pre dinner pour. Decided on Baker's because it's been a while since I visited this one and my reaction is that same as it always is: "why do I wait so long between pours of this because it's really good?" It has a smokiness to it that balances really nicely with the brown sugar and maple syrup flavors I get. 

I picked up an OF Signature a couple of weeks ago, and have now spent a number of sessions with it.  Unfortunately, I continue to be pretty disappointed in it.  The nose is "pleasant", but without any of the fullness of aromas that I am accustom to with this label.  Totally lacking body over the palate and the finish is particularly distressing, as I am finding just a sharp crackle of pepper before abruptly disappearing.  I certainly don't know for sure, but I fear that BF may have rushed unready whiskey into this batch.  I hope it's not a long term shift, as this has been one of my favorite budget bourbons over the years.

Started the night with a small pour of the new EC18 through the generosity of a fellow SBer's sample. After that, decided to go with some standard BT from '08. Believe it or not, the '08 BT blew the EC18 out of the water. Thought the EC18 was smooth and good, but tasted a little thin to me. The standard BT just had flavor that is still going strong well after the last drink. They don't seem to make like they used to which is a shame.

I drinking from the Last Pours bottle tonight.  Which is a blend of: OGD114, ETL, RHF, EWSB, HHBiB, HMcK, JDSB,  GD12,  EC12, SazRye, BT, FRSB, FRYL, EHTSB, JB, OFSig, 1792, and many others I can't recall. 

After spending time this morning planning what I would enjoy this evening, I managed to come down with a cold (boo!), so settling for some HH6BIB in a toddy.

6 minutes ago, darylld911 said:

After spending time this morning planning what I would enjoy this evening, I managed to come down with a cold (boo!), so settling for some HH6BIB in a toddy.

Sorry you're feeling under the weather Gary.  I worked all day, so spent NO time planning on what I would enjoy this evening.  So got home, had some Chicken and Dumplings that the better half had prepared.  Now settled in with some SB blend and Alabama/MSU.  Then back to work again tomorrow.

BTEC 12 YO wheated bourbon from the 9th floor. My first pour of 2016!  Prefer this over my last Lot B.  Vanilla sweetness. Something floral, just beautiful. Really good wheated bourbon.

Great first night of the new year! EC12, then 2015 4R SmbLE, and now ECBP batch 6 (the real strong one.... Oh wait that's all of them).

• p_elliott locked this topic
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!