What bourbon are you enjoying? Winter 2015/16!

Paddy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just picked up a Store Select Four Roses 12 year 2 month OESO from South Lyndale Liquors in Minneapolis, so far so good.  There is a nice bit of barrel char, and smokiness on the nose and mid-palate which I usually don't get in a Four Roses, the finish lasts a long time with more traditional flavors of vanilla, and baking spices.  I may pick another bottle up.

Next up will likely be Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve 1998, and to finish up Kilkerran WIP 7 Bourbon Cask, cask strength.

This morning like yesterday morning I had a small pour of WLW 125.3.  A nice way to start a day.

Went to my annual New Year's Day poker game and because I knew I was going to be there for hours, brought Coke to mix with my whiskey. Figured it would be a good chance to get rid of a bottle of something I don't like straight, so I brought my Michter's American whiskey. Mission accomplished as we killed it and I don't have to look at it on my shelf anymore as wasted money. Different people have different palates and some might like it, but not for me. The host embraced the concept and brought out his HPR to mix with Coke. I know that whiskey has fans on the board, but that's another one that just doesn't agree with my palate. I had a bottle of HPR last year that got combined with butter and brown sugar and made up the hard sauce for bread pudding. 

Edited by Charlutz

I'm gonna miss out this winter, gotta watch the moola. If there are any special bottles near me I may get one but I'll be drinking mid-shelf stuff for now.

11 minutes ago, SebastianLloyd said:

I'm gonna miss out this winter, gotta watch the moola. If there are any special bottles near me I may get one but I'll be drinking mid-shelf stuff for now.

Nothing wrong with the mid-shelf stuff!

22 minutes ago, SebastianLloyd said:

Define "mid shelf".

I just did a quick check of what's available to you at what price and it looks like Buffalo Trace and Knob Creek are your best bets and those are very fine pours.

19 minutes ago, flahute said:

Define "mid shelf".

I just did a quick check of what's available to you at what price and it looks like Buffalo Trace and Knob Creek are your best bets and those are very fine pours.

Heh, my mid-shelf are bottles between $40-$55, so that means Bakers, Eagle Rare, Elijah 12, WT Rare and so on (BT and Knob too, but I wasn't fond of Knob the two times I've had it). All fantastic (although I've never tried Bakers yet). I've heard good reviews on Bulleit 10 so I may get that. I have some neat stuff that I got from the premium whiskey release during the fall which I'll open here and there throughout the year.

Edited by SebastianLloyd

24 minutes ago, Golzee said:

Nothing wrong with the mid-shelf stuff!

Oh not at all but we may have a different definition on what mid-shelf is since you're from the states. What are some of your mid-shelf favs?

2 minutes ago, SebastianLloyd said:

Oh not at all but we may have a different definition on what mid-shelf is since you're from the states. What are some of your mid-shelf favs?

Your mid-shelf sounds like mine.  Although, your prices are a little higher than down here.  Do you drink any Canadian whiskies?

8 minutes ago, Golzee said:

Your mid-shelf sounds like mine.  Although, your prices are a little higher than down here.  Do you drink any Canadian whiskies?

I do, but I'm picky with Canadian whisky. I got a couple special releases from Forty Creek, and a few limited craft bottles (requires a lotto winning) from Victoria Spirits and Okanagan Spirits, both very respected in western Canada. And of course Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye because curiosity got to me (this was harder to get than a BT Antique). I've would recommend Pike Creek and Dark Horse for good and available. Whisky momentum is picking up here in Canada which is pretty exciting to see.

Edited by SebastianLloyd

One pour of Saz Rye and a pour of BT last night.  Love the flavor of BT and KC as good all around pours.

I noticed that the cork on my open bottle of RHF is split down the middle.  As far as I can tell it is still doing its job, but, I will be drinking RHF exclusively until the bottle is gone.  I don't think it will last the week.

I drank the last of some Michter's Toasted Barrel last night. Really had to power through that bottle and I'm pretty glad it's gone. To celebrate, I had some FRSiB.

4 hours ago, Special Reserve said:

A short pour of Weller Centennial this morning.

Nobody does Saturday and Sunday mornings quite like you do. Kudos sir.

2 hours ago, flahute said:

Nobody does Saturday and Sunday mornings quite like you do. Kudos sir.

Well thanks, I wish I could do it on more weekends than I do.  I only have a small pour when I don't have anything important planed for the morning.

HWMWND...very fitting since Florida turned cold (this week). 

Edited by Heashfus

Four Roses! 

I just returned from a week in Florida (for a holiday/family getaway and trip to the Outback Bowl).  One of my regular stops near the FL house had just gotten a few friends imported from the motherland.  If you saw my 'what did you purchase' thread entry, you already know what I've been drinking all week!

10 yr; 10 month; OSBQ @ 120.4 proof (x2)

10 yr; 11 month; OESO @ 105 proof (x2)

Always a great way to end, as well as kick off, a new year! 

48 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Four Roses! 

10 yr; 10 month; OSBQ @ 120.4 proof (x2)

10 yr; 11 month; OESO @ 105 proof (x2)

Whoa!! You don't see 4R get into the 120's of proof very often.

I'm also drinking 4R tonight (standard single barrel) but at various times in the past week and a half, I've been drinking from a bunch of just purchased PS barrels: OESK, a different OESK, OBSF, and like you, an OESO and a OBSQ. The dividends of the cult.

WT 101 while watching Neil deGrasse Tyson on "Star Talk" on Nat'l Geo channel.  A great combo.

• p_elliott locked this topic
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!