What bourbon are you enjoying? Winter 2015/16!

Paddy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

From last night - both a "what are you drinking" as well as an "empty bottle" post.......went to our winter party for the office and the theme was "1984 prom" which is right in the wheelhouse of my age as I was actually in high school that year. Bonus: the party was held in a gym. Given the theme, I of course brought a flask to spike the proverbial punch even though we had one of Seattle's most legendary bartender's making drinks. I emptied the last of a 4RSB into the flask which was shared liberally with my work mates. Another guy brought some WT Master's Keep for me to try and we emptied that flask as well. (I did like the WTMK, though it wasn't a proper taste in a controlled environment.) On the cocktail side, I had a seelbach, which was nice.

Just finished watching the Seahawks get lucky in Minnesota. Need a few drinks after that finish. My heart rate has still not come down yet.

Flight 1 done

middle bottle is Binny's OBSK

3364f6b0-2d78-415b-a0ee-8c58c4a1b628_zps

on to flight 2

4R smB LE is 2014

ER 17 is from Spring 2013

50ac7ca6-8a60-469b-99d1-9ea436beee95_zps

Edited by bigtoys

1 minute ago, Paddy said:

That OBSK also appears to be going big at 120 and change!  Can you pick a winner? 

I can. The winner is you.

Enjoying a Wild Turkey RR private selection "Fat Neck." Based on this pick, it would seem like WT is definitely starting to turn things around!

EHTSB and I'm really enjoying this one.

I still prefer the Barrel Proof version, but the Single Barrel is an easy drinker!

Switching between SAOS 10 yo and 7 yo.

I actually  like the 7 yo better. It has a biting, creamy fruitiness that I also find in FRSB. Although it tastes a bit younger than the 10 yo(especially on the nose), it's just a bit more exciting.

The 10 is just good, well-aged bourbon. But nothing really stands out.

1 hour ago, Jace said:

Switching between SAOS 10 yo and 7 yo.

I actually  like the 7 yo better. It has a biting, creamy fruitiness that I also find in FRSB. Although it tastes a bit younger than the 10 yo(especially on the nose), it's just a bit more exciting.

The 10 is just good, well-aged bourbon. But nothing really stands out.

I have both as well - you can't go wrong with either one.  Smooth Ambler is a first rate, quality bourbon.

19 hours ago, Hop said:

opened and tried the Blanton's SFTB last night - what a wonderful bourbon!  Seems crazy to me that BT wouldn't bottle and sell this in the US when they could easily sell what they produce...

One of my top tasting bourbons too Hop but remember not BT's call. Blanton's is owned by Age International Inc.  

Last night was RHF (anyone noticed a change in the labeling? i have some bottles with script along the bottom of the front and others without...), then BT, and then finished it off with OFBIB

15 hours ago, Paddy said:

That OBSK also appears to be going big at 120 and change!  Can you pick a winner? 

Parkers > 4R > ER

tough to say which of the 4R's was my favorite. May have to give it another go.

RRSmBSB local pick. Love these RR's this one had a note of powdered sugar which I have read/heard in others tasting notes for various bourbons but I had not yet experienced. Always amazed at the many layers of flavor extracted from a few basic ingredients, magical. 

3 hours ago, bigtoys said:

Parkers > 4R > ER

tough to say which of the 4R's was my favorite. May have to give it another go.

With that lineup, I'd give it another go as well!  :D

A good buddy came over after Friday's emergency GBS meeting and we started on the second half of my bottle of BMH 16. Well, as I opened it the damn cork broke and disentigrated into the bottle.  After numerous filterings we were left with no course but to finish the rest.  Friday was a pretty good day.

Started with a handful of vattings I posted about it in other more appropriate threads. 

After that, I had the hankering for a BP since it had been a while and decided on KCSB since it was easier to grab off the shelf, I have a spare bunkered, and replacements are easier to find then most of the other limited BP's I have open right now.

7 minutes ago, Paddy said:

A fantastic pour of WTRRSB.

wtrb 112.8 for me next which I prefer to the RRSB

trying out some small pours of bottles I haven't had for a while, EWSB 04, OFSig and AE Rye.  that EWSB just has this woody taste to me, and definitely not liking it very much.

Took in the national championship game with some standbys - KC and ECSmB (formerly EC12).

9 hours ago, flahute said:

Took in the national championship game with some standbys - KC and ECSmB (formerly EC12).

Did they drop the age statement from Elijah?

26 minutes ago, Golzee said:

Did they drop the age statement from Elijah?

No, but the reference to 12 years old has been moved to the back of the bottle, buried in some text.  We shall see about the near future though, as there is some anticipation that EC12 will in fact go NAS.

On point for the thread, last evening I had a first pour from a FRPS OESK, 9 years old, 115.8 proof.  My first OESK and no surprise, it was delicious.  Interestingly, this PS was not labeled with its age or recipe, so I had to reach out to Four Roses with the barrel information to get that info.  Love that company--doing it the right way.

Edited by jeffrey r

• p_elliott locked this topic
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!