What bourbon are you enjoying? Spring 2016

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

RHF for Game of Thrones tonight.  This bottle has definitely improved with some air time.

Tried some EWSB 2004 for the first time last night. Really enjoyed it. Then moved on to my BKM (bottle killing mission) and finished off a Widow Jane. Not bad, just overpriced. I'm feeling pretty good about what's left after a solid 2 months devoted to killing off suboptimal purchases. 

Been traveling for work with no time to visit any kind of bar with a decent bourbon. I at least was smart enough to fly Delta, one of the few airlines (perhaps the only?) that offers something other than basic Jack. Granted, it's Woodford Reserve, but I'll gladly take it when I don't have to pay for it. 

Tonight, it's soccer night (Champion's League), Madrid vs Manchester City. I'll watch the game with a glass or two of Blanton's SFTB 128.5 proof. 

The other day, I got into my new bottle of Old Forester Sig.  This one was better, more close to what I'm used to.  I guess they're back in my good graces.  Then I followed it with some DSP 354 Ritt bond from the bunker - very tastey.

Punched my cult ticket last night after being away from it for a while with some OBSO.  Quite enjoyable.

2 hours ago, meadeweber said:

Punched my cult ticket last night after being away from it for a while with some OBSO.  Quite enjoyable.

Attaboy.

Having just finished two bottles of 4R last week, I deviated last night with some Johnny Drum I'm trying to get rid of. Made things better after that with some 11yr old KCSB. Very interesting that one. Clearly a different profile than the standard 9yr.

On May 4, 2016 at 6:02 AM, Masset1982 said:

Tonight, it's soccer night (Champion's League), Madrid vs Manchester City. I'll watch the game with a glass or two of Blanton's SFTB 128.5 proof. 

Looking forward to my bottle when my brother from Europe comes over...

Just returned from my honeymoon, and while i didnt buy any bourbon to bring back (but i did bring a bunch of rum!)....I did happen to randomly find this bottle in a bar in St. Barts.  Was pretty delicious

IMG_0796.JPG

IMG_0797.JPG

On 5/1/2016 at 4:28 PM, tigerlam92 said:

Hanging out with good friends playing some pool and listening to music while sharing some good bourbon, ECBP, pre-09 PVW15, Orvw10, and Rath.

0e2f009e4b8c49bd3b93e6941a552926.jpg

b3645f41389b071cc5012398cef048df.jpg

Hot damn I would love to try the Rath!! 

Just a paltry WTRB for me tonight!

Started the evening with a Saz 18yr.

Finishing with these.

8e09269d2c1ec4c20e18b74287cb069b.jpg

B

Sent from my iPhone

Had some blantons tonight for the first time....wow, super easy to drink!

24 minutes ago, Paddy said:

11 yr old PS, KC... 

Yes!! I have one of these now thanks to a friend who sent me a couple. It's really good and definitely a different profile than what I'm used to. Do you find it different?

I'm currently working on the Johnny Drum that I'm trying to kill. Then to the Noah's Mill that I'm also trying to kill. The J. Drum just isn't that great, but it's not bad enough to pour down the drain either. NM is getting better but it took getting more than half way through the bottle before it started tasting good. I won't be repeating these purchases (that's what I said last time too.......:unsure:) unless I hear a particular batch is exceptional.

14 hours ago, JvW said:

Looking forward to my bottle when my brother from Europe comes over...

You're gonna enjoy it, great nose, great taste too. The only thing that bothers me is the finish, don't get me wrong, its gooood but not long enough for me. 

12 hours ago, flahute said:

Yes!! I have one of these now thanks to a friend who sent me a couple. It's really good and definitely a different profile than what I'm used to. Do you find it different?

I'm currently working on the Johnny Drum that I'm trying to kill. Then to the Noah's Mill that I'm also trying to kill. The J. Drum just isn't that great, but it's not bad enough to pour down the drain either. NM is getting better but it took getting more than half way through the bottle before it started tasting good. I won't be repeating these purchases (that's what I said last time too.......:unsure:) unless I hear a particular batch is exceptional.

Its funny you say that on the Noah's Mill, as that is my same reaction.  About 2/3rds of the way through, it's way better.  

13 hours ago, flahute said:

Steve, I do as well!  Much richer profile, with a heavy, dark oak influence.  It took me by surprise as to how different it is with just two more years on it.  

Tough week, good whiskey. .FR SmB LE  '14

Killed off  an ECBP tonight, just one solid pour left in the bottle, then some CEHT SB that tasted uncomplicated, yet delicious.  Trying to decide if I should kill one more bottle.  I'm in eradication mode.

This morning I'm enjoying a small pour of WLW 125.3.  Isn't life made for moments like this?

Enjoyed some GTS last night after a long (albeit short) week.  Yep - liver seems to have survived last weekend!!

Some of you may remember this thread I started a while back. https://www.straightbourbon.com/community/topic/23823-what-order-would-you-drink-these-in/

Some colleagues and I donated some rare/LE bourbons and whisky for a small tasting that was auctioned for charity. Last night was the actual tasting.

We started with ORVW10yr, then '14 4RLESmB, GTS, THH, and Hibiki 17yr. There was some debate if Hibiki should be first or last and we played it safe putting it at the end. It tasted fine at the end and when we then moved on to some optional bonus pours, they didn't suffer from having a "scotch" like Japanese whisky dropped in the middle.

The bonus pours were '15OFBB, Michter's 10yr (from a couple years ago), and EHTBP.

These were all new for the guy who won the auction and his guests. It was fun to see their reactions to the pours and hear what the favorites were. ORVW was a favorite for one guy (who knows nothing about Pappy mania). He loved the caramel. Stagg was a favorite for another. The Hibiki was very highly regarded by a third.

It was a great night. And now I don't need any bourbon for a couple days......(maybe.....we'll see how it goes).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.