What bourbon are you enjoying? Spring 2016

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I called a cult meeting and finished off the last three fingers of a PS 4RSB tonight. 

Finishing off a bottle of ER10 tonight.  Hopefully watching the Warriors make history....

40 minutes ago, Paddy said:

I called a cult meeting and finished off the last three fingers of a PS 4RSB tonight. 

Minor infraction committed by not stating the recipe. Us other cultheads have got to know.

I'll be dipping into some OBSF a little later.

12 hours ago, flahute said:

Minor infraction committed by not stating the recipe. Us other cultheads have got to know.

I'll be dipping into some OBSF a little later.

It was one of my honey barrel 'standard' SB's from last year. ;)

I'm glad I bunkers a few of those babies up...:D

EC12, which I have always found too oaky, but, tonight the last dregs of the bottle tasted pretty damn good.  I may have to grab a 12yr while they are still around for the bunker.  

I'm off today, so I'm enjoying a nice pour of WLW 134.8 while my coffee is brewing.  I thought I'd try it with a few drops of water but today it's great neat today.

Now if I can just get someone to write the tax payment checks.

Send me the appropriate account numbers and your check book, along with your social security number, etc.      I'll take care of all of it for ya'!

Every time I open a bottle of HH6BIB I ask myself why I buy anything else... It's so da$# good and only $10-$11 a bottle!  Good thing I'm headed to KY tomorrow as I'm running low down below a half case...

In the interest of fairness I say the same thing every time I open a bottle of OE7101...

3 hours ago, Hop said:

Every time I open a bottle of HH6BIB I ask myself why I buy anything else... It's so da$# good and only $10-$11 a bottle!  Good thing I'm headed to KY tomorrow as I'm running low down below a half case...

In the interest of fairness I say the same thing every time I open a bottle of OE7101...

I second this thought and will have to pick up more when we head up for Derby. That was my second pour of the evening. I first enjoyed a healthy serving of WTMK which was very good I must say. But when you look at the cost savings, why in the hell do we buy anything else but HH6BIB??!

Couldn't agree more el and Hop. Just put a bottle in the fridge, a trick I learned from our good friend Joe. A chilled, summer time favorite. I have bunkered an insane amount, hedging against it going away.

Mrs. F and I have been doing "family reunion" blind tastings this week. That is, bourbons from same distillers: WT101 & RR; BT, ER10, RHF; JB SB, KC, Baker's. I pour into Glencairns marked with sticky dots on the bottom and then shuffle the glasses.  Nose then sip then tiny amount of water with medicine dropper, then more sips. Very instructive.

I've been killing my bottles of MGP whiskey over the past couple of months to whittle down the stock to stuff I really like. When I have the urge for something more interesting, I've been drinking a lot of barrel proof: ECBP, StaggJr, CEHT BP, KCSB. 

I was tired last night and wanted something tasty, but didn't want a BP. I poured myself some Basil Hayden's. I've had the bottle open for quite awhile but probably haven't touched it in 6 months or more. It doesn't get much love, but it hit the spot exactly for what I wanted last night. Tasty and very easy to drink. Sure, it's due to a large extent to the low proof, but that's what I wanted. It's a nice whiskey that is enjoyable if you are not looking for something to knock you over. 

Edited by Charlutz

Finally opened some HMBIB and it's really good for a $25 bottle of whiskey.

There aren't many 10 year old bourbons on the market, but there should be!

Tried e.h. Taylor small batch last night........wow.....amazed I don't read more about this one.  

Really enjoying a sneak peek sample of the 2016 Sampler blend being brought to the gazebo. Hint...all wheaters by the guy who should have a Weller in his name. 

I had an itch that needed scratching, and a three finger pour of Baker's seems to be doing the trick.

I went with my current favorite RHF bottle tonight, and then followed with a Blanton's bottle from late 2015.  Same nose, but the taste profiles just don't line up.  The RHF bottle(s) are so much richer and more complex.

Had one pour of McK10 which was really nice. Tasted the wood but not as forward as EC12. Very nice and this may become more frequent in my tastings. Followed it up with some Widow Jane as part of my bottle killing mission. While overpriced, it's not bad whiskey. I liked it well enough. Had a bit of a sharp taste without depth but I can drink it. 

9 hours ago, T Comp said:

Really enjoying a sneak peek sample of the 2016 Sampler blend being brought to the gazebo. Hint...all wheaters by the guy who should have a Weller in his name. 

Drooling already!

This week included some ETL, SmBLE 125th, and GTS '09.  Think I'm returning to the 125th for tonight's hockey game!

Having a pour of ETL alongside a cup of coffee this morning.

Cheers! Joe

Did some yard work I've meaning to do for the last few weekends so I'm rewarding myself with a pour off EC12

Picked up a bottle of Evan Williams Bottled in Bond today for $12. What a nice surprise for 12 bucks.

A little GBS PS OESO to toast the new bourbon table I made out the barrel said whiskey came from.Image1460928865.117845.jpg.184f04d4e8284

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich!    That is a great use of a Bourbon Barrel, and it loox fantastic!    Did you stain and finish it all yourself, sir?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.