What bourbon are you enjoying? Spring 2016

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Rich!    That is a great use of a Bourbon Barrel, and it loox fantastic!    Did you stain and finish it all yourself, sir?

Thanks! Yes, I did all the scut work myself. It spent the last year and a half on the back patio. It really was looking like crap. I wish I had taken a before picture.

Had some Rhetoric 20 last night. It had a nice nuttiness going on that reminded me of OFBB.

Just finished sbs pours of a PS SAOS 10 yr Barrel Proof and a standard WT 101.  In every conceivable area I can compare, the WT outshone the SA.  The nose was the only area that was remotely close for me.  

21 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Just finished sbs pours of a PS SAOS 10 yr Barrel Proof and a standard WT 101.  In every conceivable area I can compare, the WT outshone the SA.  The nose was the only area that was remotely close for me.  

When are you going to tell us how you really feel about SAOS Joe. :P

On 4/17/2016 at 5:34 PM, BigRich said:

A little GBS PS OESO to toast the new bourbon table I made out the barrel said whiskey came from.Image1460928865.117845.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So are those only GBS picks atop that lovely beast?  Looks awesome chief!  

So are those only GBS picks atop that lovely beast?  Looks awesome chief!  

They were for the picture. I've added a few more since.

During and after a long day of yard work, I quaffed a couple GF beers, then when I finally sat down for good, I poured a generous dram from the last bottle in the larder of a store pick of Buffalo Trace that is a real gem.   Very enjoyable!

Had a pour of the new Jeffersons Cask strength voyage 7 that a friend brought over, at first it was quite unremarkable, then it really opened up after letting it rest for a few minutes, I mean like completely transformed from a fruity nose to a woody,musty nose,Taste was just ok. All in all still unremarkable, I would never spend the cash on one. The best pour of the night..... ECBP mmmmmm. Also had some RHF which was right there also. Then.... I did it ..why not? 50/50 RHF -- ECBP ..Wow that was delicious!

Enjoying a pour of SAOS Wood Guy #1, after an afternoon of WT101 8yr with a splash of PVW23.

I like old fashioneds.  I make 'em my way.  I've always kept EC12 as my cocktail bourbon.  Now that it's gone I've been looking for a  new cocktail bourbon.  It has to be under $30 and mix well.  I've tried many brands and didn't find the right one until last night.  HMBIB.  Makes a wonderful old fashioned.  It's got the backbone and bite to challenge the sweet part of the drink.  Looks like HH will  continue to get my business.  

Like Canarse, I too am a HMBiB fan. I enjoy it neat as much or more than in an old fashioned. Hard to find for $30 around here. Usually $35 where I've seen it. 

Shared a pour of GTS 138.2 with my brother earlier.

Now it's some RHF. Staying with Buffalo Trace.

As we speak, having CEH Taylor BP, with enough water to dilute it down to 95 pf [thank you sb proof calculator], and a single cube in it.  Plenty of barrel sweetness apparent, plus potent enough.

Squire Blend - ER10:StaggJr:BT, 2:1:1.  Magnificent!  :P

Selling a house can truly suck at times. Working with buyers on repairs list from inspection and after we reponded to their initial, slightly outrageous, list, they respond with everything from their first list PLUS another 4-5 thousand dollars of requests (and this isn't and expensive house). Ex-squeeze-me? Pass the Bookers!

Two days later, we had another interested buyer give us a higher offer and I'm reading that as the Blues take the lead over Chicago. Woohoo! Pass the HHSS SB#2!

And so tonight things are going well so it's some 4R OESK to wrap up the night. Wait, it's just Wednesday? Oh boy... need another pour I think...

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 9:13 PM, smokinjoe said:

Either you got a rare off-bottle of SAOS10 BP, or our taste buds are just way different.  I do like WT101.  Had some this past weekend with a buddy of mine and it was good, but it is in no way better than the BP SAOS's I've been drinking lately.  I guess that really goes to show how different the taste buds of different folks are.

Tonight, I started with some standard SAOS7, and have switched to a delicious pour of a PS of 4RSB OESV.

Poured a few fingers of PHC Golden Anniversary to celebrate my birthday. 

Happy Birthday Doug!

15 hours ago, Madhatter said:

As we speak, having CEH Taylor BP, with enough water to dilute it down to 95 pf [thank you sb proof calculator], and a single cube in it.  Plenty of barrel sweetness apparent, plus potent enough.

I couldn't get your post out of my brain, Madhatter.    I searched through the closet and found my last bottle of CEHT BP from around 2010 (the only one left, alas)    I'm enjoying a pour from the diminishing dregs at this moment.

Man I wish I had a case (or more) left.    This is really a special pour.    Very much rye/wood forward, which I like; but balanced by a very nice typical BT sweet caramel, and the finish just goes on for-freakin-ever.    Reminds me of standing in one of those limestone block rickhouses, with a big pour in-hand and just mellowing into the whole experience.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.