Liquor Store "Huh?" Moments

fenderbender4

That Old Fitz prime from back in the day was probably pretty good stuff.

I'd have to try some 70s and 80s Old Fitzgerald Prime with my adult palate to know. When I snuck some sips in my youth, all I could taste was burn. In the 90s and early 00s, mostly all I drank (bourbon wise) was WT 101 and Kessler. If I could go back in time, I would have expanded my horizons and drank better bourbon. Although, when hanging out with the Hell's Angels, I would still drink WT and WT 101 because, when drinking with Hell's Angels, you either drink what they drink or you get away as fast as you can. [emoji3]

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• I like it 1

7 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

That Old Fitz prime from back in the day was probably pretty good stuff.

A bit light, but still had a fairly decent flavor. Adding Old Fitz Prime to my 09 WLW's was how I tamed them down and made them tolerable, if not down downright tasty. ;)

Joe

fitz.jpeg

• I like it 1

A bit light, but still had a fairly decent flavor. Adding Old Fitz Prime to my 09 WLW's was how I tamed them down and made them tolerable, if not down downright tasty. [emoji6]

Joe
fitz.jpeg.1bc67de0d994137c932dfe5264f90f77.jpeg

Thanks for sharing some Wheater wisdom with us, Joe. That's one beautiful photo. I wish I was drinking bourbon with you, and not with Hell's Angels, in the early 90s. Joe, did the Old Fitzgerald BIB taste much different back then? How good was the Very Very Old Fitzgerald?

• I like it 1

A bit light, but still had a fairly decent flavor. Adding Old Fitz Prime to my 09 WLW's was how I tamed them down and made them tolerable, if not down downright tasty. [emoji6]

Joe
fitz.jpeg.1bc67de0d994137c932dfe5264f90f77.jpeg

Joe what a great pic how old is this picture? Based off the awesome wallpaper looks like early 70s. You should've never remolded.

On March 12, 2017 at 2:28 PM, HoustonNit said:

DeepCover where in Texas are you? $70 seems reasonable these days for the handles and I'd pick up at least one at that price.

Sorry, I'm just now seeing this. I'll PM you the store name. I believe they're out though, at least for now anyway.

I stopped into the Binny's in Champaign today, and it was a less than stellar experience.  I should have taken a picture of the mountain of 750ml KC NAS and the sale sign stating they were 9yr.  They had virtually nothing for store picks on the shelf, so I inquired about 1792 FP or KCSB.  The guy went into the back and returned empty handed.....then he tried to sell me KC2001 for $139.99 :blink: 

• I like it 1

I decided to post this here because I wasn't quite sure where else to post it. :unsure:  I'm also not sure if this was meant jokingly or not. :huh: FWIW, no ill will intended.

3 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

BTW, I was in a LS in Bardstown the other night and ran into a couple of ladies that work at Beam and they said that the JB White has been discontinued, which you may have already known, but I hadn't heard.

1 hour ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

I will no lament the passing of Jim Beam White. 

I'm pretty sure that Beam/Suntory wouldn't discontinue the #1 selling bourbon in the world. (Apologies to Mr. Jack. ;)) If so, I'm sure the news would have leaked out and made a pretty big splash.

Anyway, this reminds of the rumor/story about Mark Twain's death. He was on a speaking tour and was in London. While there, there was a report that he got sick, and then died. To which he replied:

"The report of my death was an exaggeration."

Cheers! Joe

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I decided to post this here because I wasn't quite sure where else to post it. :unsure:  I'm also not sure if this was meant jokingly or not. :huh: FWIW, no ill will intended.

I'm pretty sure that Beam/Suntory wouldn't discontinue the #1 selling bourbon in the world. (Apologies to Mr. Jack. ;)) If so, I'm sure the news would have leaked out and made a pretty big splash.

Anyway, this reminds of the rumor/story about Mark Twain's death. He was on a speaking tour and was in London. While there, there was a report that he got sick, and then died. To which he replied:

Cheers! Joe

Need to clarify, not the white label but the clear one "Ghost" maybe.  Sorry for the confusion.

• I like it 1

I'm pretty sure that Beam/Suntory wouldn't discontinue the #1 selling bourbon in the world. (Apologies to Mr. Jack. [emoji6]) If so, I'm sure the news would have leaked out and made a pretty big splash.

Cheers! Joe

Mark Twain is great. I've heard that he sure loved Old Crow. I wonder what he would think of the current incarnation of Old Crow.

Need to clarify, not the white label but the clear one "Ghost" maybe.  Sorry for the confusion.

I've never had the Ghost, but the bottle looks fun. Reminds me of a Scooby Doo villain.

It's all good guys. I figured it was miscommunication.

I recently watched the Ken Burns documentary about Mark Twain again. That's why it was so fresh in my mind.

Joe

Sorry, I didn't mean to panic all the fans of Jim Beam White.  Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maximus culpa.

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Sorry, I didn't mean to panic all the fans of Jim Beam White.  Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maximus culpa.

I don't think you caused any panic around here :lol:

More like giddy optimism. For all the OGB, Mellow Corn, and HH6 Fans around here, nobody likes jbw.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

55 minutes ago, b1gcountry said:

More like giddy optimism. For all the OGB, Mellow Corn, and HH6 Fans around here, nobody likes jbw.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I dont mind JBW. Its a servicable bourbon. Nothing really offensive about it but nothing really stands out either. I've probably drank more of it in my lifetime than any other bourbon with the possible exception of OWA. Before really getting into bourbon I never really knew about some of the other low shelf/cost bourbons that were a better pour for the same or less $, just knew more of the higher end stuff. FWIW, Booker's was my entry into better and higher proof bourbon in the 90s.

• I like it 1

I was at a TW and though I am new to bourbon, I am familiar with the game. But I do like to what people have to say and hear them out, picking up those little gold nuggets of information, usually they are nice people.. Anyways, the guy with the whole mustache and everything. He looked like they should have put his face on the bottle as "Mr. Bourbon", recommends the store bourbon (the one with the white horse), then goes to Clyde Maye's and lastly finishes off with Redemption Rye as being pretty good in his opinion. Well that pretty much pissed me off, so I did some searching. Hidden in the back of the shelves were 3 4RSB, 2 4R small batch, and 1 Russell's Reserve. I'm not the kind of guy that is very spiteful being a believer in karma and such. So I bought 2 bottles of the 4RSB ($40 each), 1 4R small batch ($33) and the Russell's ($35).

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, ModestGlutton said:

I was at a TW and though I am new to bourbon, I am familiar with the game. But I do like to what people have to say and hear them out, picking up those little gold nuggets of information, usually they are nice people.. Anyways, the guy with the whole mustache and everything. He looked like they should have put his face on the bottle as "Mr. Bourbon", recommends the store bourbon (the one with the white horse), then goes to Clyde Maye's and lastly finishes off with Redemption Rye as being pretty good in his opinion. Well that pretty much pissed me off, so I did some searching. Hidden in the back of the shelves were 3 4RSB, 2 4R small batch, and 1 Russell's Reserve. I'm not the kind of guy that is very spiteful being a believer in karma and such. So I bought 2 bottles of the 4RSB ($40 each), 1 4R small batch ($33) and the Russell's ($35).

It must be a corporate wide thing. They are pushing the Clyde Mays out here as well.

6 hours ago, flahute said:

It must be a corporate wide thing. They are pushing the Clyde Mays out here as well.

It is - I know.  The TW corporate suits always say "It's time to make some money!"  They sell national brands for "just over cost" to undercut the locals and make their profits on their Spirits Direct products.  Some are OK but most are plonk.  That's why I left them just after Christmas (long hours, low pay, broken promises).  Shop TW wisely, my friends - still good prices but moderate availability IMHO.   :ph34r:

2 hours ago, GeeTen said:

It is - I know.  The TW corporate suits always say "It's time to make some money!"  They sell national brands for "just over cost" to undercut the locals and make their profits on their Spirits Direct products.  Some are OK but most are plonk.  That's why I left them just after Christmas (long hours, low pay, broken promises).  Shop TW wisely, my friends - still good prices but moderate availability IMHO.   :ph34r:

TW is good for what it is - widely available stuff at great prices.  Anything relatively difficult to find is more miss than hit with them.

^^^^You could insert the name of any big box liquor store there (and that statement will remain true)!   :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, Paddy said:

^^^^You could insert the name of any big box liquor store there (and that statement will remain true)!   :rolleyes:

To some extent, maybe, but TW is noticeably cheaper here than the other big boxes.

A grocery store has a sale today and tomorrow - 30% off if you buy six bottles.  The prices aren't that good to begin with.  They only have the most common stuff. :rolleyes:

TW here has a universal markup on almost everything. ABC even has lower prices the TW, I paid 90!!! for a bourye, then I saw it on ABC website for 10 less and got the cashier to refund me 10 when I got my other stuff. At least they were GREAT when it came to matching prices and hassel free, it's the only reason I'll go back.

TW here has a universal markup on almost everything. ABC even has lower prices the TW, I paid 90!!! for a bourye, then I saw it on ABC website for 10 less and got the cashier to refund me 10 when I got my other stuff. At least they were GREAT when it came to matching prices and hassel free, it's the only reason I'll go back.

TW in Texas or at least in Houston is a bit cheaper for the standard stuff JD no. 7 etc. this may not be reflective of stores outside the Texas or Houston area as they appear to be in a death match with our traditional big liqour store chain Spec's.

I remember when the store down the street opened they had a display of Bouyrye for I believe less than $70.

54 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

TW in Texas or at least in Houston is a bit cheaper for the standard stuff JD no. 7 etc. this may not be reflective of stores outside the Texas or Houston area as they appear to be in a death match with our traditional big liqour store chain Spec's.

I remember when the store down the street opened they had a display of Bouyrye for I believe less than $70.

St. Louis. Appears to be their regular price.

20170307_163733-747x1328.jpg