Liquor Store "Huh?" Moments

fenderbender4

On 3/9/2017 at 4:26 PM, Clueby said:

I guess this more a liquor producer "Huh?" moment, but isn't this an interesting name?

20170309_152346-309x452.jpg

Depends on where this is being sold. Words in other languages (even English) don't have the same slang meaning as in USA or Canada.

• I like it 1

On 3/9/2017 at 4:26 PM, Clueby said:

I guess this more a liquor producer "Huh?" moment, but isn't this an interesting name?

20170309_152346-309x452.jpg

Depends on where this is being sold. Words in other languages (even English) don't have the same slang meaning as in USA or Canada.

On March 10, 2017 at 1:43 AM, Kepler said:

I'm totally with Nm0369 on this.  I don't care if they were selling their StaggJr for $35, I wouldn't drop a dime in that store.

No disagreement here at all. This is not a store that's close by, so I won't find myself going out of my way to get back there. No way would I support this level of highway robbery. There's a better way of running a LS than getting a short-term gain by selling one of those bottles, but alienating the average, regular consumer in the process.

5 minutes ago, DeepCover said:

No disagreement here at all. This is not a store that's close by, so I won't find myself going out of my way to get back there. No way would I support this level of highway robbery. There's a better way of running a LS than getting a short-term gain by selling one of those bottles, but alienating the average, regular consumer in the process.

I always get the sense that these stores make their regular $$ on beer and wine and cigs and beer nuts -- and they're just hanging a line off the back of the boat, waiting for a Muskie.  In my wanderings around Northern IL, southern WI, I've only found a few gougers -- I guess it's a natural outgrowth of the bubble -- but yeah, once I see something like this, my LS checklist gets another entry with a line through it.

I don't know...if they are generally good guys, it wouldn't bug me. The prices aren't too ridiculous except the ETL and WLW, but if they didn't have ridiculous prices on those, they wouldn't stick around.

Having those sit on the shelf probably brings in business for them from sheer spectator value. If their other prices are reasonable, they can do whatever with the BT allocated stuff.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

OK, the RHF and Handy are ridiculous too.

$70 for W12 is probably fair right now. It is practically a LE bottle at this point.

• I like it 1

On 3/10/2017 at 2:43 AM, Kepler said:

I'm totally with Nm0369 on this.  I don't care if they were selling their StaggJr for $35, I wouldn't drop a dime in that store.

If they were selling Jr. For $35, I'd be dropping $35...

A positive of these prices is that they are in fact, on a shelf.  For sale.  To any John Q or Jane Q Public.  They've not become more bottles to add to a hoarders already12 in the bunker, nor appear on a Facebook secondary site at maybe even higher prices.  So, if your nice neighbor lady asks where she can get a special bottle of this BTAC stuff that her father has never been able to find and would just love as the most special present for his retirement party, you know where to send her.  You can still take the high road and council her on the MSRP and how these inflated prices incense the enthusiast bourbon community, but she most likely will thank you profusely for the tip. 

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

OK, the RHF and Handy are ridiculous too.

$70 for W12 is probably fair right now. It is practically a LE bottle at this point.

Did you also happen to notice the "Suggested Retail" prices next to the actual price? I thought you might find that amusing if you didn't notice. I'm curious to know who's suggesting those prices.

This store IMO is laughable. I know different regions get different supply/pricing, but people in TX, by and large, aren't shelling out $70 for W12. With some patience, you can find it. Stagg Jr. is readily available at $50. RHF, at another store that charges $600 for BTAC, goes for $90 or less. The ETL is $65 from what I've seen, when you can find it. 

Here's the pricing on the W12 at the place I see RHF for $90.

image.jpeg

• I like it 1

$45 for W12 is fair, but $70 isn't?

Both are ridiculous compared to what it used to be. Plus if Texas does get more allocated stuff, then you should have cheaper prices...

Joe,
I like the way you put that, I couldn't have said it better!

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, DeepCover said:

Did you also happen to notice the "Suggested Retail" prices next to the actual price? I thought you might find that amusing if you didn't notice. I'm curious to know who's suggesting those prices.

This store IMO is laughable. I know different regions get different supply/pricing, but people in TX, by and large, aren't shelling out $70 for W12. With some patience, you can find it. Stagg Jr. is readily available at $50. RHF, at another store that charges $600 for BTAC, goes for $90 or less. The ETL is $65 from what I've seen, when you can find it. 

Here's the pricing on the W12 at the place I see RHF for $90.

image.jpeg

I need to move to Texas.  15 750's and 6 handles of W12 and there is not a single bottle in my city and I live an hour from the distillery.

• I like it 1

DeepCover where in Texas are you? $70 seems reasonable these days for the handles and I'd pick up at least one at that price.

• I like it 1

On our little trip around E'town today we ran into some HUH! moments.  First store had the Tom Jurich (Athletic Director at the University of Louisville) collectible Makers Mark which my buddy was interested in, price $225.  They had one bottle of Very Old Fitzgerald 12 - $300, and one bottle of ECBP $99.  Next store had a bottle of Very Old Fitz - $299.99 and ECBP $99.  Third store had the ECBP - $109.  I definitely suffered from sticker shock today.

• I like it 1

On 3/10/2017 at 1:05 AM, DeepCover said:

Shit's just like Pappy...

image.jpeg

OK, so I tried to tilt my laptop screen to see if I could reduce the glare on the sign so that I could read the words.  :lol:

• I like it 1

14 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

OK, so I tried to tilt my laptop screen to see if I could reduce the glare on the sign so that I could read the words.  [emoji38]

The sign reads "Good As Pappy" and says mystery? "Limited."

I didn't see any good reviews about this bourbon in this SB thread

https://www.straightbourbon.com/community/topic/21120-black-saddle-12-year/

I'd personally be infinitely more inclined to buy one of those bargain bottles of Old Overholt. Correction, those bottles on the left of the picture have loss prevention alarms on top, so they can't be Old Overholt. Oh well, I'd still be more inclined to buy Old Overholt than this $60 bottle "as good as Pappy."

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Edited by OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel
Not Old Overholt
  • I like it 1

2 minutes ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

The sign reads "Good As Pappy" and says mystery? "Limited."

I didn't see any good reviews about this bourbon in this SB thread

https://www.straightbourbon.com/community/topic/21120-black-saddle-12-year/

I'd personally be infinitely more inclined to buy one of those bargain bottles of Old Overholt.

Haha, thanks!  Yeah, given that the glare was in the picture, I wasn't going to get a clear read no matter how much I tilted my screen.

I went to a local Liquor Barn that was releasing about 20 different bottles today on a first come, first serve basis.

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof was the most popular bottle, which is a not a surprise.

What was a surprise to me was all the people who were excited to buy bottles of Pinhook bourbon. I looked Pinhook up when I saw it on the list and literally could not find a single review of it and it appears as if it is an NDP out of New York. I know that I live in thoroughbred country, and the bottles are named after horses, but seems like a waste of money for a complete unknown bourbon. It made me scratch my head.

There were about a hundred bourbon fans in line this morning at opening at Liquor Barn, seeking to buy some bottles they were releasing this morning. As we snaked our way into the store in our long line,@fifeman joked about getting to the register and only buying a handle of Old Crow.

As the line started to move and we came closer to the counter with today's releases, we saw a lady stumbling towards us. We watched as she bent down to the bottom shelf and grabbed two handles of Old Smuggler, sighed, and walked to the back of the line.

9ffce699cfd99178a87256a86108d515.jpg

• I like it 1

^Old Smuggler was my Pops go to whiskey for his highballs.

It appears to be moving up in the world, use to have a plastic bottle and was cheaper than that even with inflation.
  • I like it 1

A buddy of mine was at a liquor store over the weekend and called me saying they had a few bottles of WSR.  I said sure, I'd take one as long as the price wasn't crazy.  He goes to pay and the chick rings it up as $100 per WSR.  He says WTF and the store manager or owner comes out to say that she paid more than 100 each for them and is selling them at a loss.  Pretty sure thats not how the state distributors work but hey what do I know.  Unless she bought them on secondary and which case i think it would be ilelal to sell in a retail establishment and she over paid.  Needless to say he passed on the WSR and grabbed a Stagg Jr. for 49.99.

• I like it 1

^Old Smuggler was my Pops go to whiskey for his highballs.

It appears to be moving up in the world, use to have a plastic bottle and was cheaper than that even with inflation.

I didn't check to see if the bottles were glass or plastic. She knew what she wanted, but she was less than amused with the size of the line.

My parents celebrated the bottom shelf as Mom drank Old Fitzgerald Prime and Rebel Yell (she clearly liked her wheaters) and Dad drank Kessler and the Heaven Hill (non-bourbon) rotgut collection.

• I like it 1