Liquor Store "Huh?" Moments

fenderbender4

I played trumpet in the 74 th US Army Band at Fort Benjamin Harrison in Indianapolis Indiana. I was there from 1975-1980.

11 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I played trumpet in the 74 th US Army Band at Fort Benjamin Harrison in Indianapolis Indiana. I was there from 1975-1980.

I was a first tenor in the USMA Glee Club 1964-1967.  It got more and better trips than the football team so I changed focus, and, anyway, I was not big enough or good enough to be anything other than a tackling dummy or something to trip over.  AND, I never had to make weight.?  Is funny how, if one is observant, LIFE points out paths of excellence for us.  I can still hit high C above B when hammered.  Sort of.:blink:  WHICH reminds me, a local, favorite store emailed late today about what is in store.  i really ought to make up a shopping list and support my locals.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 3

4 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I was a first tenor in the USMA Glee Club 1964-1967.  It got more and better trips than the football team so I changed focus, and, anyway, I was not big enough or good enough to be anything other than a tackling dummy or something to trip over.  AND, I never had to make weight.?  Is funny how, if one is observant, LIFE points out paths of excellence for us.  I can still hit high C above B when hammered.  Sort of.:blink:  WHICH reminds me, a local, favorite store emailed late today about what is in store.  i really ought to make up a shopping list and support my locals.

Were you ever in California during this time? My Dad was in the Navy and we were all up and down the California coast from 1967 to 1977.

The other day, K&L posted store picks of Blanton's, Eagle Rare and BT (of course sold out in minutes) with this warning in the listings:

"****STRICT ONE BOTTLE PER HOUSEHOLD LIMIT**** Orders for multiples (this includes spouses/brothers/mothers etc) will be cancelled without warning - YES< all your orders will be cancelled and you will not receive any bottle or sympathy."

Sounds like their spirits buyer is fed up with people gaming the system...

• I like it 9

• 2 weeks later...

Stopped into a local big box liquor chain a week ago and ended up chatting with a young employee who was very knowledgeable about bourbon.  When he went to help someone with rum I listened in and could tell he really knew his stuff.  I went back yesterday and he remembered me, and we chatted dome more.  He was only 27 but had been in the bar and liquor business since his 21st birthday.

The "huh" moment was that he shared with me that he had spent his day off the day before going to 25 different liquor stores hunting for hard-to-find stuff and ended the day with a case and a half of bottles.  Kind of a "busman's holiday" but obviously this guy is a real enthusiast. 

4 hours ago, IamMatt said:

Stopped into a local big box liquor chain a week ago and ended up chatting with a young employee who was very knowledgeable about bourbon.  When he went to help someone with rum I listened in and could tell he really knew his stuff.  I went back yesterday and he remembered me, and we chatted dome more.  He was only 27 but had been in the bar and liquor business since his 21st birthday.

The "huh" moment was that he shared with me that he had spent his day off the day before going to 25 different liquor stores hunting for hard-to-find stuff and ended the day with a case and a half of bottles.  Kind of a "busman's holiday" but obviously this guy is a real enthusiast. 

That is rare to have somebody who knows their stuff working in the ls. I hate asking for "bourbon" and they dont know the difference between elijah craig and a bottle of smirnoff.

36 minutes ago, mal00768 said:

Kentucky Owl Dry State 100th Anniversary for only $999.99.  It was a struggle but ya know how it goes. ?

^I think that’s msrp too. Unknown provenance.. and to think I’m happy with a $16 of EW BIB.

Edited by mal00768

1 hour ago, mal00768 said:

^I think that’s msrp too. Unknown provenance.. and to think I’m happy with a $16 of EW BIB.

With stories like this I’m inclined to slap a custom label on a WT101, negotiate with a LS, and put it on display for a few grands. Surely some sucker will buy it eventually. I can’t even easily tell if that’s unethical, or if I’m doing the buyer a favor because the juice is probably better than anything they could get. 

I went to a local gas station/convenience store to get some snacks for my sons.   As I waited to pay, my gaze wandered to the liquor shelf behind the counter. 

I didn't expect much in a place like this, but on the top shelf sits Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, Blanton's, Weller (Antique and SR), and even Elmer T Lee.  For a fleeting moment, I consider grabbing a bottle or two.  But then my attention shifts to the prices.  Gah!  

If I wasn't getting items for others, I would have left my pending purchase where I stood and walked out.  Nonetheless, I'll never return for any reason.  Attempted gouging at this level is enough for me to permanently sever the business relationship.

20200906_132537_HDR.jpg

I've seen this before.  Top shelf, with all the most expensive bottle, backs up to a window, hours of blazing direct sun every day. ? morons

On 8/23/2020 at 4:38 PM, 0895 said:

And only one per person.

The STL crowd haven’t been kidding in the past when we say ER10 is a lottery bottle here.

Ill man up & confess that I did go get one, but it was honestly more about being lonely and wanting to hang with some buddies for a bit that I haven’t BS’d with all summer due to covid.
?‍♂️

At least you can get some of that good local 5 year barrel strength rye every year without a fight

• I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...

Was in a ls today and was browsing the bourbon when the owner informed me he had sold all of his good bottles. I asked him about the "good bottles" he said a guy from out of state came in and bought 14 bottles of blantons at $130, a case of weller(flavor unknown but at least 2x msrp) and several other bottles he had. 

• 2 weeks later...

Stopped in a store that I haven't been to before in my area...  I saw the locked up cabinet in the back and went to take a look.  Had a bottle of Rock Hill Farms for $299.99!  The nice gentlemen came back and introduced himself as the owner and proceeded to tell me how he doesn't mark his rare whiskey up from suggested retail ? 

1 hour ago, SteveoT said:

Stopped in a store that I haven't been to before in my area...  I saw the locked up cabinet in the back and went to take a look.  Had a bottle of Rock Hill Farms for $299.99!  The nice gentlemen came back and introduced himself as the owner and proceeded to tell me how he doesn't mark his rare whiskey up from suggested retail ? 

Sounds about right. Either way it sounds like a nice store/owner, i appreciate a place that doesnt price gouge.

25 minutes ago, Sgtspitter101 said:

Sounds about right. Either way it sounds like a nice store/owner, i appreciate a place that doesnt price gouge.

?

I'm in!   In wine world that would be a methuselah  - same in whiskey world?

You have to wonder - if you lie so much to customers = do you eventually start beleiving them?

My first time at a local store, we talked a lot about bourbons and the owner said "I hate bottle hunters."  I asked him what he meant and he said "people that come in asking 'how much for this, how much for that'."

Of course the other side of that is that we as customers hate "bottle gougers(?)"  The store had some good bottles at retail or even a little discounted (Larceny at $20, Elijah Craig at $25), but wanted $150 for 1792 Barrel Proof and $180 for Blanton's, etc., so no wonder people come in and ask "how much for this, how much for that."

He's running a liquor store.  I'm not sure what he expects people to come and ask him?

He hates "bottle hunters".  Those bottles are my personal property, not for sale.  I only want to sell cans of beer, or boxes of cheap wine, but no bottles. ?

• I like it 1

Was in a small town liquor store. Only thing they had of any note was 1792 BIB....for $50!!?!  I mentioned they didn't even have any regular old Buffalo Trace. He told me that he can't get it anymore because they "aren't making it". ?

• I like it 1

36 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Was in a small town liquor store. Only thing they had of any note was 1792 BIB....for $50!!?!  I mentioned they didn't even have any regular old Buffalo Trace. He told me that he can't get it anymore because they "aren't making it". ?

Things have gotten out of hand when distilleries no longer make their flagship brand. 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, JCwhammie said:

Things have gotten out of hand when distilleries no longer make their flagship brand. 

Seems reasonable to me with all the other insane prices going around.

2 hours ago, Clueby said:

I mentioned they didn't even have any regular old Buffalo Trace. He told me that he can't get it anymore because they "aren't making it". ?

Boy do I have a deal for him... ?

• I like it 1