Liquor Store "Huh?" Moments

fenderbender4

I saw the owner of West DuPont Circle Wine & Liquor interviewed on a bourbon documentary, where he was bragging about charging exponentially above retail for one of the Van Winkle releases, so I decided to check out his store online. Among many other things, he’s got an OWA store pick for $400 and a Smoke Wagon 12 year store pick for $375. Under no circumstances would I ever give him my business. 

• I like it 2

29 minutes ago, DeepCover said:

I saw the owner of West DuPont Circle Wine & Liquor interviewed on a bourbon documentary, where he was bragging about charging exponentially above retail for one of the Van Winkle releases, so I decided to check out his store online. Among many other things, he’s got an OWA store pick for $400 and a Smoke Wagon 12 year store pick for $375. Under no circumstances would I ever give him my business. 

Walked in once several years ago.  He had Pappys in the window for $400 (Lot BEE (damn emoji keeps changing to a smile) to $3000 (20 YR?) .  Old Fitz BIB handles were $100.  I bought one and have never been back.  Even his basic stuff was almost double MSRP.  Hotel district, you know.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 1

17 hours ago, DeepCover said:

Why in the world would someone brag about this?

• I like it 2

17 hours ago, DeepCover said:

Prav Saraff??? Pulls bottles for friends and high paying customers and then marks up for the general public to make up for it... He is all over the secondary market buying high priced bottles... I know one of his "preferred customers" and this guy shares in that arrogance... Not a fan of either

18 hours ago, jnewberg said:

Prav Saraff??? Pulls bottles for friends and high paying customers and then marks up for the general public to make up for it... He is all over the secondary market buying high priced bottles... I know one of his "preferred customers" and this guy shares in that arrogance... Not a fan of either

Secondary market ??? he's probably buying all kinds of counterfeit bottles.  Unless he is very naïve, he knows they are fake too.  Why should he give a damn as long as it's profitable.

You would think if he is buying the secondary market he would risk his liquor license by buying from unlicensed sources and then offering them for sale under his license.  If nothing else, it would be a tax issue.

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

You would think if he is buying the secondary market he would risk his liquor license by buying from unlicensed sources and then offering them for sale under his license.  If nothing else, it would be a tax issue.

Pretty sure its legal for a store in Washington DC to do this

• I like it 1

22 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

It's legal for DC stores to do this and then resell.  They still have to pay the taxes on it.  This is the reason Jack Rose was able to acquire it's inventory as the owner could buy from individuals and sell at the bar.

• I like it 2

Posted this in the wrong thread, ETL100 for $699 was an easy pass and grabbed a Stagg Jr for $55 from him instead.

• I like it 1

15 minutes ago, jnewberg said:

Posted this in the wrong thread, ETL100 for $699 was an easy pass and grabbed a Stagg Jr for $55 from him instead.

Now THAT is a good deal!   Awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

LS owner covertly motioned me into the back room… saying “I know you like unusual stuff, I put something aside for you…"

WTF is Kentucky Strength Bourbon Whiskey? If that language, plus the Klingon pack wasn't “Huh?" enough-- we watched as the local Bourbon dudes cleared all four bottles in minutes for $269.99 each after I graciously passed.

IMG_5624.thumb.jpg.0a03d1bfe86e2b5135e57d0bac2a83ac.jpg

IMG_5622.thumb.jpg.7cada44f8c6e216124ecbb81b1fcfe3b.jpg

9 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

LS owner covertly motioned me into the back room… saying “I know you like unusual stuff, I put something aside for you…"

WTF is Kentucky Strength Bourbon Whiskey? If that language, plus the Klingon pack wasn't “Huh?" enough-- we watched as the local Bourbon dudes cleared all four bottles in minutes for $269.99 each after I graciously passed.

I’m not sure I’d go into the back room of a guy who covertly motioned to me and said, “I know you like unusual stuff...”. 
??

• I like it 10

19 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I’m not sure I’d go into the back room of a guy who covertly motioned to me and said, “I know you like unusual stuff...”. 
??

I guess it wouldn't help to tell you that my name and number are written on the wall in said room.

• I like it 5

33 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

No website, sketchy Facebook, and brought to you by the folks who bring you "Original Gangster" Brandy, Golden Submachine Gun Vodka, Femme Fatale Sparkling wine, and Tiger Tiger Jelly Shots. Their branding and packaging game is... something: https://www.aikoimporters.com/products?page=2

2 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Is it just me, or does that bottle look like a turd?

2 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

Is it just me, or does that bottle look like a turd?

You might need more fiber brother. 

• I like it 10

At a wine & spirits shop in an upscale town near me, I spied the following:

Hancock’s Reserve - $149.97

Stagg Jr Batch 14 - $199.97

This store runs a Buy 6 bottles and get 10% off special, EXCEPT for bottles with prices ending in 7.

?

4 hours ago, parksmart said:

This store runs a Buy 6 bottles and get 10% off special, EXCEPT for bottles with prices ending in 7.

?

Bastards.

11 hours ago, parksmart said:

?

I really feel bad for the poor guy that buys Hancock’s at that price, and actually drinks it.

I was at a chain liquor store. Grabbed a McKenna and 3 other bottles, went to check out:

cashier - “Where did you find the McKenna?”

me - “on the shelf over there. There were more if you were curious for yourself”

—— cashier stops checking me out to inform the manager that this situation has unfolded. I then observe her jump on the radio to ask the employees to go track down the rogue McKenna and get it off the shelf ASAP——-

cashier - “OK, it’s not supposed to be on the shelf, we’re supposed to keep that for raffles or other events. Our mistake though so we will let you buy this one still”

WTF? A couple bottles of McKenna being on a shelf in a liquor store was enough of an issue to distract not one, not two people, but the whole staff? I mean, would they have closed the store for the day if someone accidentally put some Blanton’s or god forbid a Weller product out? Honestly beyond thinking their reaction was ridiculous, and what that says about the current whiskey market, I was offended that they decided to stop my transaction and waste my time for this critical intervention. Any place with good customer service would take care of me first and then go chase their own tales over this stupidity. 

• I like it 7

17 minutes ago, 0895 said:

I really feel bad for the poor guy that buys Hancock’s at that price, and actually drinks it.

I had the exact same thought.  

On 12/14/2020 at 9:25 AM, Marekv8 said:

OK, you've outed us.  Kentucky Strength bourbon is specifically distilled for just us Kentuckians.  The rest of you, to paraphrase the immortal words of Colonel Nathan R. Jessup, "Can't handle it"!  Next time y'all are at my house I guess I'll have to let you try some . . . if you're man enough! :D

• I like it 3

13 hours ago, parksmart said:

?

Sounds like Jackson's?  Notorious gougers for anything that's in demand.  That's the place that had Dickel 13yr BiB in the glass case for $499.97 after it won some award...

13 minutes ago, fosmith said:

Sounds like Jackson's?  Notorious gougers for anything that's in demand.  That's the place that had Dickel 13yr BiB in the glass case for $499.97 after it won some award...

Indeed, ‘twas.  I didn’t even  other to look in their glass case.

Forgot to mention they had Blanton’s out on the floor for $99.97, with a sign saying something about holiday spirit and sharing, so limit of just 1 bottle per customer.

Least it wasn’t a wasted stop for me, as I was able to find a Buffalo Trace PS on the shelf of the nearby chain store, tucked behind a couple of regular BT bottles......?

• I like it 1