Liquor Store "Huh?" Moments

fenderbender4

2 hours ago, Clueby said:

Was in a small town liquor store. Only thing they had of any note was 1792 BIB....for $50!!?!  I mentioned they didn't even have any regular old Buffalo Trace. He told me that he can't get it anymore because they "aren't making it". ?

Of course they aren't making it.  Today is Saturday.  ?

• I like it 2

I suspect that liquor store owner meant to say he can’t get any because they aren’t making enough...yet. Every location is different of course, but regular BT is actually an allocated product in many areas including my area. It is seldom gone from all store shelves, especially the big stores since they get more than their fair share a lot of the time, but smaller stores do run out occasionally. And in some control states like Alabama, I know it can sometimes be missing from the shelves for weeks at a time. 

11 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

I suspect that liquor store owner meant to say he can’t get any because they aren’t making enough...yet. Every location is different of course, but regular BT is actually an allocated product in many areas including my area. It is seldom gone from all store shelves, especially the big stores since they get more than their fair share a lot of the time, but smaller stores do run out occasionally. And in some control states like Alabama, I know it can sometimes be missing from the shelves for weeks at a time. 

I'm not discounting that it is allocated in many areas. It occasionally is missing from shelves here, but usually not for long.  I wasn't even looking for any. I was just trying to make a little conversation with him and his attitude was very much like I mentioned Pappiez when I said he didn't even have BT. The only BT product I recall seeing was Booker's for $90. It was laying on its side on the top shelf.

Edited by Clueby

The only BT product I recall seeing was Booker's for $90. It was laying on its side on the top shelf.

???..............???......................?

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 2

5 hours ago, 0895 said:

"Forget it, he's rolling."  - "Boone" Schoenstein    ?

• I like it 2

6 hours ago, 0895 said:

1 hour ago, GeeTen said:

"Forget it, he's rolling."  - "Boone" Schoenstein    ?

“There are times that discretion is the better part of valor.”  In other words, thanks for pointing this out before I did. ?

Biba!  Joe

• I like it 1

35 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

“There are times that discretion is the better part of valor.”  In other words, thanks for pointing this out before I did. ?

Biba!  Joe

Beam, Buffalo Trace - they both start with a "B", no?  Booker's, Baker's too!   AND, they're both from the "Show Me" state.  ?

Edited by GeeTen

5 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Beam, Buffalo Trace - they both start with a "B", no?  Booker's, Baker's too!   AND, they're both from the "Show Me" state.  ?

DOH!! Ok...what can I say!?  I was well into my "Sunday Nigh Ritual".  I deserve every bit of ribbing I get for that one.

• I like it 1

DOH!! Ok...what can I say!?  I was well into my "Sunday Nigh Ritual".  I deserve every bit of ribbing I get for that one.

Feel free to make it up when we get together next February on my way to Mizzou for the SEC Championships. ?

• I like it 2

On 10/12/2020 at 2:24 PM, GeeTen said:

Feel free to make it up when we get together next February on my way to Mizzou for the SEC Championships. ?

Deal!  Maybe we should have an "SB Member's Huh? Moments" thread. At least I remember it was on its side. I logged in the next day after my post and I'm like, "why do I have so many notifications??" ?‍♂️

• I like it 1

On 10/14/2020 at 5:21 PM, Clueby said:

Deal!  Maybe we should have an "SB Member's Huh? Moments" thread. At least I remember it was on its side. I logged in the next day after my post and I'm like, "why do I have so many notifications??" ?‍♂️

LOL! Happens to all of us.

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Was talking to the lady at a ls she told me they had a thh in a couple day ago. She said they had it priced at 499 and it sold within 3 hours.

Local store had a tasting set up of Old Dominick. I know they had a bourbon and also a wheat whiskey.  The young  man at the table started his "spiel" about it. I asked him specifically..."Do they actually distill the whiskey themselves that is in that bottle?" He answered that oh yes they do and they've been doing it in Memphis since something like 1856 or whatever the story on the bottle says. I then picked it up, looked at the bottle and it says distilled in Lawrenceburg, IN. I told him that..no..it is made at MGP. I specifically asked because I am typically not a fan of MGP bourbons (I do like their rye). He continued to tell me how they also have their own facility in Indiana but it is their facility and they make it all themselves. At that point I just said no thanks and moved on. He came back by a few minutes later to find me to tell me he might have gotten that wrong and that it is distilled by contract just for them to their "exact specifications"  but they absolutely make their own wheat whiskey that he had a bottle of. Ummm...no..no they do not. ? "Crafted and bottled" does not mean distilled.

• I like it 4

42 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Local store had a tasting set up of Old Dominick. I know they had a bourbon and also a wheat whiskey.  The young  man at the table started his "spiel" about it. I asked him specifically..."Do they actually distill the whiskey themselves that is in that bottle?" He answered that oh yes they do and they've been doing it in Memphis since something like 1856 or whatever the story on the bottle says. I then picked it up, looked at the bottle and it says distilled in Lawrenceburg, IN. I told him that..no..it is made at MGP. I specifically asked because I am typically not a fan of MGP bourbons (I do like their rye). He continued to tell me how they also have their own facility in Indiana but it is their facility and they make it all themselves. At that point I just said no thanks and moved on. He came back by a few minutes later to find me to tell me he might have gotten that wrong and that it is distilled by contract just for them to their "exact specifications"  but they absolutely make their own wheat whiskey that he had a bottle of. Ummm...no..no they do not. ? "Crafted and bottled" does not mean distilled.

? that’s fantastic.

I like MGP and you should note that I don’t own any of it.

10 hours ago, Clueby said:

Good for you on calling them out @Clueby!   Strike first, strike hard, no mercy!

11 hours ago, Clueby said:

Old Dominick currently has distilling contracts with MGP, and they produce one of the highest rye mashbill bourbons available on the market. The first product, Huling Station Straight Bourbon, bottled at 100 proof and at least 4 years old is actually pretty good if you like high rye bourbon, and the price is reasonable at around $35. They have been distilling their own product for several years now (still maturing in barrels) under the guidance of their Master Distiller, Alex Castle, who has a similar background to Marianne Eaves. She worked under the guidance of Jimmy and Eddie Russell at Wild Turkey before taking on her current role at Old Dominick.

They recently added the straight wheat whiskey and a blended whiskey, which is a blend of the wheat whiskey and their original bourbon. They also produce a line of vodkas at around $20, a gin that is very nice for around $25 and last, but not least a Memphis Toddy, which is a spiced liqueur that is probably more herbal than sweet. 

Obviously the person representing their products was not as knowledgeable as he should have been, but I like all of their products, and think their prices are very reasonable, especially when compared to just about any other “craft distillery“ these days. Of course I’m in Memphis, so I’m probably a little bit biased, but I think they are doing really good things, and look forward to trying the bourbon they actually distilled in the not too distant future. 

10 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Old Dominick currently has distilling contracts with MGP, and they produce one of the highest rye mashbill bourbons available on the market. The first product, Huling Station Straight Bourbon, bottled at 100 proof and at least 4 years old is actually pretty good if you like high rye bourbon, and the price is reasonable at around $35. They have been distilling their own product for several years now (still maturing in barrels) under the guidance of their Master Distiller, Alex Castle, who has a similar background to Marianne Eaves. She worked under the guidance of Jimmy and Eddie Russell at Wild Turkey before taking on her current role at Old Dominick.

They recently added the straight wheat whiskey and a blended whiskey, which is a blend of the wheat whiskey and their original bourbon. They also produce a line of vodkas at around $20, a gin that is very nice for around $25 and last, but not least a Memphis Toddy, which is a spiced liqueur that is probably more herbal than sweet. 

Obviously the person representing their products was not as knowledgeable as he should have been, but I like all of their products, and think their prices are very reasonable, especially when compared to just about any other “craft distillery“ these days. Of course I’m in Memphis, so I’m probably a little bit biased, but I think they are doing really good things, and look forward to trying the bourbon they actually distilled in the not too distant future. 

Yeah..I felt a little like "that guy" on the poor kid that was just doing what he was told and reading the back of the bottle.  I actually traded messages with someone from OD via their FB page.  They were pretty forthcoming about what's in their actual bottles.  Sounds like hopefully they are doing things right but I did make a point that consumers are tired of the "story" about what's in the bottle and just want a good product at a fair price.

As another SB'r pointed out however, almost ALL bourbon is about "the story", even the big names.  One of the reasons I like Weller is that (other than WLW) there is no story on the bottle, just "The Original Wheated Bourbon".  I guess that is kind of a story and likely up for debate as well.

Re: the Huling Station, they stated that  it is: 44% rye mash bill (52% corn). This is contract distilled in IN, but is our recipe, yeast, Memphis water, and barrels. 

You mentioned you liked it, but I've  heard some conflicting reviews.

Good luck to them in the crowded bourbon/rye market.

I stopped by one of my semi regular liquor stores today because they almost always have a bunch of baby saz out on the shelf. Today was no different. I grabbed one like normal and went to the checkout. The proprietor scanned it and it came up $48. Now I already thought it was a touch high at $30, but the convenience was worth it. I asked him why the price jumped to $48, to which he responded, "it is a very popular item". I just left it on the counter and walked out the door. It's about to become less popular now, not like it was ever in short supply... 

• I like it 4

Reminded me of that Yogi Berra quote, "That restaurant's so busy nobody goes there any more"

• I like it 1

On 11/2/2020 at 5:08 PM, Mattk said:

I stopped by one of my semi regular liquor stores today because they almost always have a bunch of baby saz out on the shelf. Today was no different. I grabbed one like normal and went to the checkout. The proprietor scanned it and it came up $48. Now I already thought it was a touch high at $30, but the convenience was worth it. I asked him why the price jumped to $48, to which he responded, "it is a very popular item". I just left it on the counter and walked out the door. It's about to become less popular now, not like it was ever in short supply... 

I wonder if this is becoming common, especially as we navigate thru covid-19. Many distillers were shutdown and pumping out sanitizers for months on end. Maybe some are making corrections in their ledger. 

On 11/2/2020 at 11:46 AM, Clueby said:

Yeah..I felt a little like "that guy" on the poor kid that was just doing what he was told and reading the back of the bottle.  I actually traded messages with someone from OD via their FB page.  They were pretty forthcoming about what's in their actual bottles.  Sounds like hopefully they are doing things right but I did make a point that consumers are tired of the "story" about what's in the bottle and just want a good product at a fair price.

As another SB'r pointed out however, almost ALL bourbon is about "the story", even the big names.  One of the reasons I like Weller is that (other than WLW) there is no story on the bottle, just "The Original Wheated Bourbon".  I guess that is kind of a story and likely up for debate as well.

Re: the Huling Station, they stated that  it is: 44% rye mash bill (52% corn). This is contract distilled in IN, but is our recipe, yeast, Memphis water, and barrels. 

You mentioned you liked it, but I've  heard some conflicting reviews.

Good luck to them in the crowded bourbon/rye market.

The enjoyment of bourbon is an emotional experience, and the "story" behind the bottle is part of that.    Still, the story is best helped by authenticity,  and ultimately is in service to the product itself, which stands or falls on taste alone.  And the one thing that can influence a taste experience, at least IMO, is solid information about a whiskey's provenance.  

Not a liquor store, but radio advertisements -

Total Wine is advertising on Indianapolis radio station.  Their closest store is in Louisville.  That's more than 200 miles away.  No shipping allowed here either.

I also heard repeatedly an add for Elijah Craig - distilled, aged, and bottled in Bardstown Kentucky.

(Is there a 24 year old version coming out.)

5 hours ago, PaulO said:

I also heard repeatedly an add for Elijah Craig - distilled, aged, and bottled in Bardstown Kentucky.

Say what now?

10 hours ago, PaulO said:

Not a liquor store, but radio advertisements -

Total Wine is advertising on Indianapolis radio station.  Their closest store is in Louisville.  That's more than 200 miles away.  No shipping allowed here either.

(Is there a 24 year old version coming out.)

They just opened a store on 86th in Indianapolis

58 minutes ago, geclbxf said:

They just opened a store on 86th in Indianapolis

Darn. I used to live near there. Thirty three years ago. <_<

Biba! Joe