What bourbon are you enjoying? Summer 2016

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I continue to bounce between the ER10 and the 4R OBSF.  Just to keep a little balance, I'm probably going to turn to wheated expressions for the next few days...  Damn though, these two bottles have both been the gift that keeps on giving...

Joe?  :lol:

ER10 single barrel select has been my go to lately.

Just received word today that Four Roses Elliot's Select OESK will be in the rotation soon.

So many great bourbons!  Your going in the right direction Paddy!

Cheers

Edited by Louisiana
OESK. Sorry had a few drinks tonight.

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

I continue to bounce between the ER10 and the 4R OBSF.  Just to keep a little balance, I'm probably going to turn to wheated expressions for the next few days...  Damn though, these two bottles have both been the gift that keeps on giving...

Joe?  :lol:

Given your credentials as a standard bearer for the cult, your preference for the OBSF makes me proud to have been a part of selecting it.

On topic, I enjoyed two pours from an old bottle of Old Charter BIB 7 year age stated. Simply fantastic whiskey. Price tag on the bottle is 3.50. Jeeze Louise how many of these I'd buy at that price.

Living Belgium for a family trip in France for the weekend. Bringing with me two bottles. OGD114 and a SAOS SB cask strength 9 yo, you can't go wrong with those two. 

9 hours ago, flahute said:

Given your credentials as a standard bearer for the cult, your preference for the OBSF makes me proud to have been a part of selecting it.

On topic, I enjoyed two pours from an old bottle of Old Charter BIB 7 year age stated. Simply fantastic whiskey. Price tag on the bottle is 3.50. Jeeze Louise how many of these I'd buy at that price.

Those OC BIB 7's indeed are stellar, Steve. There was a ton of Charter being thrown in various OC labels in those days, that sat around for quite awhile.  But, I feel they were selecting the honey barrels for the BIB.  I have passed on a lot of dusty OC's over the years, but always dove on the BIB's.

Thunder and lightening storm in NJ.  Dog is totally freaked.  Gave him some puppy sedative and having a pour of Pinhole Bourbonize.  This was a gift.  Open for about a year.  My first impression was "bourbon lite" and I will stick with that.  Its an NDP, so little to no information available.  It is youngish, mildly sweet and smooth - at 90 proof no hint of alcohol - but with no character or depth of flavor.  The retailer that sold it to my friend pushes it as an alternative to Pappy - hard to find/collectible.  Humbug.  To anyone that knows anything - the only thing that the word collect can be used for in the same sentence is -  dust.

Poured a small, but adequate sample from the bottle I picked up yesterday of 1792 Full Proof.

THAT is  veeery nice pour.

If you're looking for a GTS substitute, you'll be disappointed. 

If however, you like Barton, and for sure, if you like 1792 Ridgemont Reserve (pardon my using the 'real' name of the brand), this will knock your sox off.    It is very definitely a Barton product, and certainly the spicier higher rye mashbill. 

It is a great expression of the cereal-forward, 'corny' style that all who know and love Barton's will appreciate.    It ain't complex, so don't look for that.   It IS however, a great pour, in it's own way.    I like it a great deal, and can see me putting this in the regular rotation right away.     I'm guessing that it will improve, though maybe not a great deal with some air in the bottle; but if doesn't, I won't be a bit disappointed.   ....And, it's not a bad deal, for the proof and quality.

I'm kicking off the holiday weekend with a generous pour of HH6BIB on ice, and it's really hitting the spot. Cheers!

Four Roses SB.  I haven't been drinking bourbon much over the past six months or so, but this is like coming home.  Absolutely my favorite standard release.  I like it better when I can get it on sale for $33, just sayin' . . . .

Last two pours of this bottle.  My wife, bless her heart, bought me those Artic Rocks for my libations.  Call me picky but I don't like the way it makes the whiskey look in the glass.  She'll never know though.

IMG_3496.jpg  IMG_3500.jpg

Having some EHTBP (135.4p). Very good tonight. Then going to have some NC 2001 B#2. 

The last of the glut whiskey on the market.

Classic.

32d4a255d85e04fa487b81e90c987abc.jpg

B

Sent from my iPhone

8 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Poured a small, but adequate sample from the bottle I picked up yesterday of 1792 Full Proof.

THAT is  veeery nice pour.

If you're looking for a GTS substitute, you'll be disappointed. 

If however, you like Barton, and for sure, if you like 1792 Ridgemont Reserve (pardon my using the 'real' name of the brand), this will knock your sox off.    It is very definitely a Barton product, and certainly the spicier higher rye mashbill. 

It is a great expression of the cereal-forward, 'corny' style that all who know and love Barton's will appreciate.    It ain't complex, so don't look for that.   It IS however, a great pour, in it's own way.    I like it a great deal, and can see me putting this in the regular rotation right away.     I'm guessing that it will improve, though maybe not a great deal with some air in the bottle; but if doesn't, I won't be a bit disappointed.   ....And, it's not a bad deal, for the proof and quality.

thanks for the insight, love the regular 1792 and the store picks I've had so will definitely have to try this out.  

as for me, I joined the cult tonight with an PS of OBSO, really good stuff

46 minutes ago, DonutsNBourbon said:

as for me, I joined the cult tonight with an PS of OBSO, really good stuff

We welcome you.

Some age stated OWA this morning.  Life is good.

Family in town with the MIL staying with us indefinitely already and a visit from a BIL and his 4 boys under the age of 12 and so for the drinks it's been ECBP and while I don't normally add water I do have some Limestone Mixing Water on the shelf and since the BIL used it I tried it as well - have to say it was pretty darn good and handy so its been a continuation so far this week.  Some supplementation by Blanton's SFTB and finishing off a bottle of Yellowstone 105 to clear space.  

Since my kids are 21 and 19 I've forgotten what its like to have that many young ones in the house at the same time and clearly my patience isn't what it used to be...  Love em but glad it's on the short term!

1 hour ago, Hop said:

Family in town with the MIL staying with us indefinitely already and a visit from a BIL and his 4 boys under the age of 12 and so for the drinks it's been ECBP and while I don't normally add water I do have some Limestone Mixing Water on the shelf and since the BIL used it I tried it as well - have to say it was pretty darn good and handy so its been a continuation so far this week.  Some supplementation by Blanton's SFTB and finishing off a bottle of Yellowstone 105 to clear space.  

Since my kids are 21 and 19 I've forgotten what its like to have that many young ones in the house at the same time and clearly my patience isn't what it used to be...  Love em but glad it's on the short term!

Heehee!  I look at these challenges in life as opportunities at earning a higher place in Heaven. :D

Or, at least you're accumulating chits with MrsHop!  ;)

On 7/1/2016 at 7:53 AM, smokinjoe said:

Those OC BIB 7's indeed are stellar, Steve. There was a ton of Charter being thrown in various OC labels in those days, that sat around for quite awhile.  But, I feel they were selecting the honey barrels for the BIB.  I have passed on a lot of dusty OC's over the years, but always dove on the BIB's.

I was surprised how good it was Joe. I had just come back from Whisky Live where I tried a ton of dusties that I didn't much care for so I had low expectations with this one.

The bottle is too old to have any kind of laser code that would help to date it. Do you recall the general range of time this label was available? 

Makers mark....to kick off the carnival cruise. Not a lot of options on board bourbon wise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Having some 1816 Chattanooga Cask Strength Whiskey. 113.6 proof. This stuff started nice and just kept getting better and better as I worked through the bottle. I probably have 2 more pours left in this bottle unfortunately. But all is not lost, as I have 4 more bottles in the bunker. :D Excellent whiskey for about $40 a bottle.

Enjoying a nice pour of Weller Centennial (Louisville) this morning.  What a delightful earlily morning pour.

On 7/1/2016 at 5:21 PM, amg said:

I'm kicking off the holiday weekend with a generous pour of HH6BIB on ice, and it's really hitting the spot. Cheers!

Yeah, me too.  I did just a little shopping and came home with two of these.  It's really nice after the odd ball stuff from the bunker.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.