What Dram Are You Pouring Tonight? Fall/Winter 2016-2017

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

That is really cool and a 14y cask strength NCF Arran sounds good.

It's is really good. I was not in on selecting the barrel but the tasters did a fantastic job.

Haven't dived into Irish whiskey but giving it a go tonight. Dubliner bourbon cask aged. Decent enough. 

3 hours ago, oke&coke said:

Switched to a Dalmore 15. First time trying any Dalmore. Very nice. 

Dalmore makes a quality sherried dram but their prices keep me from having buying it very often.  I was lucky to find a couple on deep discount.

Old Pulteney 1989 in the glass tonight. Hitting the spot today, more so than it has in the past. Cheers!

Hakushu 12 for me tonight.  I really enjoy this one.  To me, it seems very similar to the Clynelish 14, with just a hint of peat and nice balance of bourbon and sherry influences. 

On 3/1/2017 at 4:31 AM, oke&coke said:

Haven't dived into Irish whiskey but giving it a go tonight. Dubliner bourbon cask aged. Decent enough. 

If you are going to dive in to Irish Whiskey head for deep end! Consider trying Redbreast as an intro to Irish whiskey. Or better yet Redbreast cask strength!

Dubliner is is probably harmless enough but it is a soft NDP blended whiskey of essentially unknown origin. Kind of the Jefferson's of Ireland. Except of course that there are a lot of Jefferson type whiskies in Ireland at present.

40 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

If you are going to dive in to Irish Whiskey head for deep end! Consider trying Redbreast as an intro to Irish whiskey. Or better yet Redbreast cask strength!

Dubliner is is probably harmless enough but it is a soft NDP blended whiskey of essentially unknown origin. Kind of the Jefferson's of Ireland. Except of course that there are a lot of Jefferson type whiskies in Ireland at present.

Yeah, I just needed something to compliment my cigar that night. At $5 a pour it wasn't a huge gamble. Will look at the Redbreast next time I am there. 

Started with a 28yr Strathclyde - which I'm not loving neat (nose is more alcohol than much else), but with a fair amount of water it really opens up nicely (much more on the palate than the nose).  This is only the second bottle of grain whiskey I own, but thinking I like my other (25 yr Port Dundas) better.  Me thinks a blind SBS is in order at some point.

Continued with a nice pour of a 28yr Glenturret, which is really hitting the spot.  Just a rich, creamy, well balanced dram.  

EDIT:  Okay - now finishing up with a Laphroaig PX Cask

Edited by GaryT

16 hours ago, GaryT said:

Started with a 28yr Strathclyde - which I'm not loving neat (nose is more alcohol than much else), but with a fair amount of water it really opens up nicely (much more on the palate than the nose).  This is only the second bottle of grain whiskey I own, but thinking I like my other (25 yr Port Dundas) better.  Me thinks a blind SBS is in order at some point.

Continued with a nice pour of a 28yr Glenturret, which is really hitting the spot.  Just a rich, creamy, well balanced dram.  

EDIT:  Okay - now finishing up with a Laphroaig PX Cask

No Compass Box Hedonism or Quindecimus? Both are all blended grain whisky, just nota  single grain like the Strathclyde. Hedonism Maximus is probably my favorite blended grain whisky of all time. Heck maybe my favorite whisky of all time. Certainly up there on the list.

No Compass Box Hedonism or Quindecimus? Both are all blended grain whisky, just nota  single grain like the Strathclyde. Hedonism Maximus is probably my favorite blended grain whisky of all time. Heck maybe my favorite whisky of all time. Certainly up there on the list.

I'll remember that when I stumble onto the next bottle. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Nope - despite being a Compass Box fan, have never owned a Hedonism or Quindecimus (had a chance to buy the Quindecimus, but never pulled the trigger).  But will have to keep my eye out for the Maximus! 

Had a Springbank 16 Local Barley and some Laphroaig 16 Sherry CS from TWE last night. Both were delicious.

Opened up the Compass Box Hedonism Quindecimus yesterday with some GBSers.  Absolutely wonderful whiskey, and a fantastic complement to the AB Prensado.   Going with a pour this afternoon after yard work, and it is continuing its greatness that I remember from yesterday.  Great label design is a thing of beauty, and the whiskey actually is even better.  Heather, honey, with a nice caramel early on.  Very juicy to start, with nice barrel notes late.  John Glaser does a lot of great blends, but this has jumped up to be my favorite. 

image.jpg

Opened up the Compass Box Hedonism Quindecimus yesterday with some GBSers.  Absolutely wonderful whiskey, and a fantastic complement to the AB Prensado.   Going with a pour this afternoon after yard work, and it is continuing its greatness that I remember from yesterday.  Great label design is a thing of beauty, and the whiskey actually is even better.  Heather, honey, with a nice caramel early on.  Very juicy to start, with nice barrel notes late.  John Glaser does a lot of great blends, but this has jumped up to be my favorite. 
image.thumb.jpg.8a4d846b23323a61c30bb0e39cc0f767.jpg

I can't remember if I have had this one but if it tastes better than the label looks, maybe it's time o tracked one down.

Finishing off the night with a 20 year Imperial SV from Vine & Table.

Enjoyed some Arran 14 CS and some Cohibas with a good friend just a little bit ago.

Amrut intermediate sherry 2016.  This is really tasty.  Getting a lot of brine tonight.  Glen Scotia-ish.  Weird, but man this is good.  I'll probably grab another.  Serge gave it a 91!

Speaking of highly rated malts, I closed my night out with a glass of Kilkerran 12.  This one has opened up and has become a tasty easy drinker, but I still find myself wishing it were entirely ex-bourbon OR more heavily sherried.  I just don't think the sherry influence as is does much for it.

Last night was Bushmills Steamship Sherry Cask

2 hours ago, BigRich said:

Last night was Bushmills Steamship Sherry Cask

How was that?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.