What Dram Are You Pouring Tonight? Fall/Winter 2016-2017

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Midday tasting since I'm working at home and the day has been unusually slow..

Kilkerran 12 year vs Kilkerran WIP 7 Bourbon - in general, 12 year has more minerality and stronger barrel and fruit acidity. WIP 7 is more overt oak shavings, spice, and vanilla undertones. WIP 7 has an obviously thicker feel and longer finish, albeit a bit harsh. Both have the Campbeltown 'tang' (sweet and sour) in an obvious way. Both are excellent. 12 year holds its own despite 8% ABV gap. I don't think WIP 7 is a completely better pour... I think they're intended for different situations and it's worth keeping each of them in the bunker. 

Now I should add some Springer 12 cask strength...

Not going to buy those 1L bottles of whiskers at duty free, they last too long!

Still working through a bottomless bottles of Glenlivet 18.

On 2/15/2017 at 4:37 AM, GaryT said:

Enjoyed some Laphroaig PX after dinner last night.  May need to find a cheap international flight for an excuse to get another :) 

Might be worth it as now you can pick up two others as well:

Four Oak,  http://www.laphroaig.com/whiskies/four-oak.aspx

The 1815, http://www.laphroaig.com/whiskies/the-1815-legacy-edition.aspx

I guess you will need to travel with someone else to get all three.  It's a max of 2L per person right?

9 hours ago, meadeweber said:

I guess you will need to travel with someone else to get all three.  It's a max of 2L per person right?

It is in fact a limit of 1 liter of alcohol that is duty free (Another link to information). Which is ridiculously low in my opinion! You can bring more but it will be subject to a payment of the duty or tax (which is not that much, usually 2 to 3 dollars per bottle). If you declare it in the first place of course. That said I don't ever recall being bothered when bringing back 2 bottles.

I have declared more bottles than that on more than one occasion and customs did not bother with the duty charge but that is up to them.

Also the law was changed where duty free bottles purchased overseas that are in a specific sealed bag can now be carried in the airport when you get back to the US. used to be if you were connecting to another city from your first point of entry you had to put it in your checked luggage for the rest of the trip or you would have it taken away by TSA which can be a giant pain not to mention a bit risky to the bottle and your luggage!

The new rule is a step, a small step but a step all the same, in the right direction.

Edited by tanstaafl2

Polished off a Signatory bottling of Benrinnes 17yo tonight. It was a delicious bourbon cask malt with lots of malty and candied lemon peel flavors, and it will be missed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, meadeweber said:

Might be worth it as now you can pick up two others as well:

Four Oak,  http://www.laphroaig.com/whiskies/four-oak.aspx

The 1815, http://www.laphroaig.com/whiskies/the-1815-legacy-edition.aspx

Ugh - I really really hate that they're offering these new things only in Travel Retail.  I get having something special for that channel, but of the 15 labels they list on their site - 5 of them are Travel Retail.  That's absurd

Thankfully Laphroaig's "wood treatment instead of traditional maturation" policy has made my purchasing decisions that much simpler.

1 hour ago, garbanzobean said:

Thankfully Laphroaig's "wood treatment instead of traditional maturation" policy has made my purchasing decisions that much simpler.

You are right Eric, that quote does not sound good but I'm still a Laphroaig fanboy...at least for now.

Cracked the Talisker Storm and did a blind sbs with the standard 10yr.  Found I liked the 10yr better, but - any given day - will repeat later.  Not a big difference, but seemed to me that Storm was actually more muted than the 10yr - the opposite of what I expected.  On a bright note - I also tried some 10yr I had "enhanced" with half a Time & Oak stick that I had soaked in port before drying back out.  REALLY loving what that did to the 10yr, and will be making a larger bottle of that!

I posted this find earlier in the dusty thread, appears to be bottled in 1977.  Couldn't resist cracking it open :D.  I'm a complete scotch newb.  Lots of floral on the pallet...reminds me of the Hibiki 12yr Japanese whisky I have.  

IMG_0497.thumb.JPG.1622a2156f3ec1a1f5db91d5bdad7af2.JPG

35 minutes ago, Nm0369 said:

I posted this find earlier in the dusty thread, appears to be bottled in 1977.  Couldn't resist cracking it open :D.  I'm a complete scotch newb.  Lots of floral on the pallet...reminds me of the Hibiki 12yr Japanese whisky I have.  

IMG_0497.thumb.JPG.1622a2156f3ec1a1f5db91d5bdad7af2.JPG

Nice find! I love seeing pics of these old bottles. Must be like going back in time when you crack open and sip from dusties.

Had a couple glasses of Bunnahabhain 12 last night.  Nice sherry, some coastal notes, and banana pudding in spades.  It's nippier than the 18, but still very very good.  Whiskies such as this give me hope for the future of single malts.

Had a glass of Exclusive Malts Bowmore 12 yr last night.  I don't know what kind of sherry butt it went into, but I think it might have actually been used to age sherry for drinking.  Pretty different from most sherried malts these days.  The cost was fairly high (around $120 I think), but it really was a good purchase.  If it were slightly cheaper, I'd definitely replace it.  As it is, I still might.

The Exlusive Malts 1985 Longmorn. This was a gift from my wife. 28 years old, aged in oak casks, distilled in May 1985 and bottled in September of 2013. Nose is all honey and light lemon. On the palate straight out of the bottle there is honey, caramel, tobacco, chocolate nougat. This is so lush and smooth. There is just a hint of smoky wood which surprises me given how long it aged in wood. Adding a few drops of water brings out baked apple and some baking spices. The finish is long. I have tasted enough malts over the years to rarely be surprised. This one really surprised me with its overall deliciousness. Just a superb malt in every way. I would easily give this between 93 and 95 points. Just excellent. Unfortunately there were only238 bottles so I am going to enjoy every dram of this one.

IMG_4970.jpg.4e32587843b114cc085dd1f5fdd4924b.jpg  IMG_4980.jpg.d9d40f7d3c02afc2e72566dc3b0724d2.jpg

A couple to kick off a beautiful afternoon at Happily Everafter on a beautiful spring-like day here in Eastern Tennessee

IMG_4988.jpg.e5c7acd03e305291b797244e7f69c77d.jpg IMG_5011.jpg.c8e71e89fa85c1462c314857c430f177.jpg

Edited by Tennessee Dave
wrong photo

Had a pour of Bunnahabhain 12 last night.  Winner winner chicken dinner.  I think this is going to become a default recommendation for anyone who getting into malts.

7 minutes ago, garbanzobean said:

Had a pour of Bunnahabhain 12 last night.  Winner winner chicken dinner.  I think this is going to become a default recommendation for anyone who getting into malts.

Have you tried the 13 yr Marsala cask finished? Saw it by me recently and was curious. 

3 minutes ago, Old Dusty said:

Have you tried the 13 yr Marsala cask finished? Saw it by me recently and was curious. 

No but I would love it try it.  I think it was pretty limited.

I may give it a run but it's an $80 flyer and that's holding me back unless I can taste it first. I almost always prefer wine matured or finished vs ex bourbon......unless there is peat involved. 

5 minutes ago, Old Dusty said:

I may give it a run but it's an $80 flyer and that's holding me back unless I can taste it first. I almost always prefer wine matured or finished vs ex bourbon......unless there is peat involved. 

That's a lot of $.  I'd probably spring for it just because I like Bunnahabhain's low/unpeated standard lineup so much, but it's likely that this would turn into an Ardbeg situation.  I end up liking the standard lineup way better than the LEs.

On 2/25/2017 at 8:00 PM, whiskeyagonzo said:

Some Arran of Grievances. efca1a6a829c5f061e422697fe43cf1c.jpg

That is really cool and a 14y cask strength NCF Arran sounds good.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.