What Bourbon did you Pass Up Today? Fall 2016

elmossle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4 hours ago, emr454 said:

Stagg Jr. for $90, ETL for $65, FRSB for $47, too many to list really

Another store had Stagg Jr. for $70, thats quite a deal :rolleyes:

W12 - $349.99

ORVW - $499.99

Lot B - $599.99

PVW 15 - $1299.99

PVW 20 - $1999.99

PVW 23 - $2799.99

But it's in the cabinet - there's no lottery!   :P

I would have had to pick up the SAOS 10 since they're discontinuing it... 

Discontinuing SAOS 10?? Was just enjoying some tonight and thinking I need to pick up some more.

I'm kicking myself for skipping a Rebel Yell 10yr before I heard anything about how great it is. Went back...gone.

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 5:12 PM, Nm0369 said:

Yep, that's the one.  I was pretty disgusted when I left there.  Scored ETL on the way home and that helped ease the pain.  

Don't give up on Liz and Payless (or Paymore) yet!  Although they consistently have ECBP, EHTBP, and seemingly random others at pretty high prices, I've also found some really great stuff there over the years at prices similar to BRL or retail.  Its always worth a stop when you're driving in that area.  Payless often seems to be doing tastings and events as well with right to purchase raffles spread throughout the year.

One time I showed up on a random Saturday right after they opened and found a THH and 4Roses Ltd Sm Ba at basically retail ~100 each sitting on the shelf.  This was in like June of 2015?

I'm more loyal to BRL, well since its the only thing in Bloomington and they have taken good care of me, but their prices on some limited/allocated releases have crept up quite a bit over MSRP.

Passed on all these bottom shelf ones today - literally they were sitting on the bottom shelf...

Parkers 24yr @ $349

Parkers Malt @ $159

ECSB @ $80

Stagg Jr @ $70

Booker's @ $100 but it was on the top shelf so that must have been why... :) 

I've bought some HTF bottles at this store previously at slight markup like $25 on a $300 bottle but not like these markups...

Still in Ft Meyers, & couldn't believe prices. ETL at $90. VW10 for $400. But what really got me was ER10 for $90. Really? I can find it at one of my local grocery stores at home for $32 almost any day. These were mom/pops, obviously trying what get what they can. Stopped by an ABC, prices reasonable, but nothing special on shelves. 

Passed up Barrel Bourbon Batch #009 for $95 + tax.  Did I miss out on a great deal for that product?

On 1/4/2017 at 10:40 PM, GeeTen said:

W12 - $349.99

Wait, this can't be serious... can it???  I just checked one of my shelves and those $25 - $27 bottles I have stashed are now worth a couple grand!?!?!?!?!?  My tastebuds and my friends are going to think they're royalty now.

"Hey everyone, want to try some $350 a bottle juice?"  HAHA! 

Sorry, it's just THAT ridiculous.

To stay on topic I passed on a Midwinter Night's Dram Act 4 release 5 i think it was @ $89. But I'll probably go back today and remedy that.

8 hours ago, kwshannon said:

Passed up Barrel Bourbon Batch #009 for $95 + tax.  Did I miss out on a great deal for that product?

I don't know if that is a particularly "great deal" but it is about what a lot of people do pay for the various Barrell Bourbon releases. A lot of people have praised some of their batches, especially #6. Batch 9 is actually a much older release than their previous offerings, at 13 years. It is extremely likely that this is once again sourced from Dickel. So it might be worth a try at that price if you're a Dickel profile fan. I suspect that I will probably pick up #9, but it hasn't made its way to my area yet.

http://www.barrellbourbon.com/batch009

9 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Michter's Celebration Sour Mash - $3,599.99

20170105_145216_1483675200409.jpg

I do enjoy the occasional Michter's but everything about that bottling makes me gag a little. 

9 hours ago, kwshannon said:

The price is in line with what I see here in NC - we are 89.50 + tax - i bought batch 5 and didn't care for it but I've been in the minority on this one - I do see batches 5,6,8,9 sitting on shelves around here though...

1 hour ago, beasled said:

I do enjoy the occasional Michter's but everything about that bottling makes me gag a little. 

Ha, ha.  Guess someone thinks there's a market for that stuff here in Beantown.  Rumors of an $18,000 bottle of Hardy (?!?) cognas coming are rampant, too.   :wacko:

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 10:40 PM, GeeTen said:

W12 - $349.99

ORVW - $499.99

Lot B - $599.99

PVW 15 - $1299.99

PVW 20 - $1999.99

PVW 23 - $2799.99

But it's in the cabinet - there's no lottery!   :P

Holy Sh*t!! Where was this just so I can avoid the place

Passed on a bottle of ECBP Batch #11 at $ 89.99.

I knew I was in trouble when he reached under the counter instead of behind him.

8 hours ago, Gerry M said:

Holy Sh*t!! Where was this just so I can avoid the place

Sperry's in Wayland!   :o

22 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Michter's Celebration Sour Mash - $3,599.99

20170105_145216_1483675200409.jpg

Very good price on the Macallan Rare Cask though. Around here it's close to $300

4 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Very good price on the Macallan Rare Cask though. Around here it's close to $300

And the price on the Johnnie Blue (if you're into that sort of thing) on the other side is $169.99 for the 750ml, no extra sales tax.  :D

Edited by GeeTen
No coffee, yet.

23 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

I don't know if that is a particularly "great deal" but it is about what a lot of people do pay for the various Barrell Bourbon releases. A lot of people have praised some of their batches, especially #6. Batch 9 is actually a much older release than their previous offerings, at 13 years. It is extremely likely that this is once again sourced from Dickel. So it might be worth a try at that price if you're a Dickel profile fan. I suspect that I will probably pick up #9, but it hasn't made its way to my area yet.

http://www.barrellbourbon.com/batch009

Thanks for the information.  I enjoy Dickel and recommend it often, but not sure about this one.

Still able to resist 'Lusty Claw' Bourbon, as of yesterday.    Trying to stay strong.   HA!

Apparently Beam must be having problems selling their Signature Craft Harvest Collection. A large chain is having a HUGE sale on the Triticale Mash, Barley Mash, Soft Red Wheat Mash, High Rye Mashbill, Brown Rice Mash, and Whole Rolled Oat Mash. The 375's are regularly $49.99, on sale for $14.99.

Still won't buy any.

33 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

Apparently Beam must be having problems selling their Signature Craft Harvest Collection. A large chain is having a HUGE sale on the Triticale Mash, Barley Mash, Soft Red Wheat Mash, High Rye Mashbill, Brown Rice Mash, and Whole Rolled Oat Mash. The 375's are regularly $49.99, on sale for $14.99.

Still won't buy any.

Though I appreciated the effort, I always felt this line was awkwardly presented.  Pricing was prohibitive for sure.  At that price, however, the wheat is worth a try, IMO.  It was decent whiskey, as I remember.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.