What Bourbon did you Pass Up Today? Fall 2016

elmossle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

OK, you got me.  The tax is in the shelf tag price.  There's NO additional Sales Tax added at the registers.  Happy now?   [emoji38]

And I really like your avatar - does the Chinese character for "central" represent your location or bourbon preferences (or both?).  :huh:

But back on topic - passed last night on Angel's Envy Cask Strength bourbon @ $189.99.  YIKES!   [emoji33]

Thanks [emoji1]. It's actually the avatar from The Greatest American Hero. Though I suppose it could represent the fact that I live in Central Mass [emoji6].

Passed on AE Rye in favor of stuff for my own winter vatting at a 3rd of the price.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

46 minutes ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

It makes you wonder. There are a lot of recent entry's in the triple digit category but I'm uncertain as to how well they are selling. In my neck of the woods they seem to sit for a long time. 

Boss Hog has always been in the triple digits, although I believe this newest release is significantly higher than the previous two.  If you're actually seeing them in stores, and stay in stores when you go back then it is either not selling or just selling slowly.

Passed on RR10yr for 24.99.  I am opening the bottle in my bunker tonight to give me a reason to buy another.  Doesn't seem like the 10yr gets much love around here.  Is that because the single barrel is available or because it is a shell of the older RR101 10yr?

ETL for $99, ER10 for $45, CEHTSMB for $60. At another store AE Rye was on sale for $78. Also passed on Bowman Gingerbread Cocoa for $43 at the first place. I thought it was odd they didn't overprice it.

Passed on KC 2001 yet again. It has been sitting there for a few weeks at $160 and I've been tempted, but I think I'll spend the dough on some store picks of ER and 1792 that showed up recently.

1 hour ago, mosugoji64 said:

Passed on KC 2001 yet again. It has been sitting there for a few weeks at $160 and I've been tempted, but I think I'll spend the dough on some store picks of ER and 1792 that showed up recently.

Smart Idea!

If you try the KC 2001 at a bar, you'll realize its probably not worth the money.

4 hours ago, mosugoji64 said:

Pretty sure the only reason it's sitting on the shelf is the price. If Beam would just announce they are doubling  the price to $300 it sell out fast. 

There are a few stores I visit regularly that have BTAC and VW behind the counter at crazy prices and ETL for $60. I don't even consider them a pass anymore. On fairly priced products, I did pass on Stagg Jr. at $50, Pikesville 110 at $45, WSR at retail pricing and baby saz at $30. I am stocked on the Stagg, WSR and saz and the Pikesville is regularly available at that price when I need to reload. Many of my regular haunts have brought Booker's up to $60-70, so I guess I passed on that too, but I didn't even give it a thought at that price. 

7 hours ago, Golzee said:

Passed on RR10yr for 24.99.  I am opening the bottle in my bunker tonight to give me a reason to buy another.  Doesn't seem like the 10yr gets much love around here.  Is that because the single barrel is available or because it is a shell of the older RR101 10yr?

I happen to like RR10yr a lot, and for that price there's no way I could pass it up. Sure, it might not be their best product, but to me it's a keeper

Passed on a lot through KY this week most because of price but some because I'm pretty well stocked

Notables were 

ETL $80-$90

Rhetoric $190

WR Brandy Cask at around $90 and there was tons of it almost everywhere

KY Owl $600

Stagg Jr $90

Passed on a lot of "Rabbit Hole" which if I remember correctly was age stated at 2 MONTHS...

Also passed on Tom's Foolery - was interested but not enough to buy a bottle without tasting it first

Stores were pretty well stocked going into New Years on basics - lot's of BT on shelves and in cases - ER10/Blanton's - several store picks in KCSB, WR, 1792SB, and BT

Edited by Hop
added item

3 hours ago, Vosgar said:

I happen to like RR10yr a lot, and for that price there's no way I could pass it up. Sure, it might not be their best product, but to me it's a keeper

I agree vos, RR10yr was one of the first bourbons I tried other than JB or EW.  It remains a favorite. of mine

Handles of Knob Creek for $49.99.

I may rethink this pass over the weekend. It could change. Heck of a value.

B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, BFerguson said:

Handles of Knob Creek for $49.99.

I may rethink this pass over the weekend. It could change. Heck of a value.

B

Knob Creek 1.75s have handles???? Or is this a "term of art"???  J/K  - just finished my second Glencairn of WLW.  Mighty fine juice, I must say.  :D

Knob Creek 1.75s have handles???? Or is this a "term of art"???  J/K  - just finished my second Glencairn of WLW.  Mighty fine juice, I must say.  [emoji3]

Just slang for 1.75s. Not saying the KC doesn't have an actual handle.

On 12/28/2016 at 11:33 AM, GeeTen said:

Taxachusetts does NOT tax wine, spirits and beer (even though they make up for it on almost everything else except for food)!  Yes, we can get StaggJr for only $38.99 and ETL for only $23.99.  Not only does it depend on our distributors' costs to buy, but also the mark-up from the point-of-sale store.  Big Box stores tend to live with smaller mark-ups and also save by paying for their stocks on delivery, by check, and not using a 30-day float to manage cash flow.

But try to find an ECBP on the shelf - not a chance!  So, in the words of the immortal singer "Prince", party like it's 1999! 

:wub:

Interestingly I just moved to Boston and have been checking out a few of the local liquor stores. I have spotted a few harder-to-find bottles, maybe I was just in the right place at the right time but I did pass on 2 ECBP, on the shelf!, I thought the price was kind of high at $74.99. They were on the shelf though, so I recommend you get your dancing shoes on...

Knob Creek 1.75s have handles???? Or is this a "term of art"???  J/K  - just finished my second Glencairn of WLW.  Mighty fine juice, I must say.  [emoji3]

Yep, no handle.

Just the vernacular.

Mags and family size are often used as well.

Although, a actual handle would be a handy addition to help pour.

B

10 hours ago, Hop said:

Passed on a lot through KY this week most because of price but some because I'm pretty well stocked

Notables were 

ETL $80-$90

Rhetoric $190

WR Brandy Cask at around $90 and there was tons of it almost everywhere

KY Owl $600

Stagg Jr $90

Passed on a lot of "Rabbit Hole" which if I remember correctly was age stated at 2 MONTHS...

Also passed on Tom's Foolery - was interested but not enough to buy a bottle without tasting it first

Stores were pretty well stocked going into New Years on basics - lot's of BT on shelves and in cases - ER10/Blanton's - several store picks in KCSB, WR, 1792SB, and BT

Based on your other post, there was a lot that you didn't pass on!  :lol:  Let the Indy folks know the next time you are in KY and plan to pass through Indy on your way back to NC.  You might need to rent a U-Haul truck!  :lol:

Mrs. Vosgar and I are in Louisville for the weekend and stopped by the Jim Beam Urban Stillhouse. It's a block away from our hotel and I was curious about the 100 proof Stillhouse Select that's non-chill filtered and only available at the store. The sample they gave me nosed and tasted like Knob Creek....exactly like KC as a matter of fact. Supposedly it's aged 5-7 years, so for $44.99 it was a no-brainer to pass on.

Also found it interesting that the KC available for purchase there was still the age stated bottles.

Edited by Vosgar

Recently inquired with a local chain about some harder to find bottles.  Got an email this morning stating they had ECBS and a few other allocated bottles at their corporate store.  I drove down there and had a nice chat with the lady.  Proceeded to the checkout with my ECBS and RHF and that's where the fun stopped.  $99.99 and $64.99 :angry:

Walked out with empty hands and a lesson learned.  

3 minutes ago, Nm0369 said:

Recently inquired with a local chain about some harder to find bottles.  Got an email this morning stating they had ECBS and a few other allocated bottles at their corporate store.  I drove down there and had a nice chat with the lady.  Proceeded to the checkout with my ECBS and RHF and that's where the fun stopped.  $99.99 and $64.99 :angry:

The corporate store on South East St? We refer to them as "Paymore" on here. 

Edited by Old Dusty

3 minutes ago, Old Dusty said:

The corporate store on South East St? We refer to them as "Paymore" on here. 

Yep, that's the one.  I was pretty disgusted when I left there.  Scored ETL on the way home and that helped ease the pain.  

3 hours ago, Nm0369 said:

$64.99 for RHF seems to be reasonable. In fact I haven't seen it cheaper than that in more than 1 yr.  What is the MSRP nowadays?

Passed on Angels Envy CS @ $299, Michter's 10 @ $199, & CEHT BP @ $99

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.