What Bourbon did you Pass Up Today? Fall 2016

elmossle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Only if you want a pretty sweet dessert whiskey. In my experience this is an occasional novelty bottle, not a daily drinker 

I actually don't mind the occasional sweet dessert drink, just not sure about the price point.

59 minutes ago, BMartin42 said:

GTS 599.98

THH 349.99

Lot B 429.99

ORVW 10/107 379.99

Do people really pay these prices? I know they do because I've seen the secondary market on Facebook but these prices staring me in the face at a store makes me lose all hope I'll ever get any of these again. Glad I have at least 2 of each bunkered and the most I payed for any of it was 79.99 for GTS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well the fact that they're still there means not yet at least. 

I think the store knew they were likely to stay for a bit at that price and likes the idea that they're around. My guess is that even at those prices they're likely to sell them before next years allocation. 

6 hours ago, Thig said:

Passed on Angels Envy Finished Rye for 84.99, should I have jumped on it?

NO!

Just make yourself a pina colada and save yourself a lot of money. Tastes about the same. 

6 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Finishing of bourbons is becoming a new area to expand the bourbon experience.  You could say it's following the scotch model.  Brandy and cognac (eg SB. Com HHSS) have been some of the barrel finishes that have worked very well.  Barrel finishing is early in the learning curve for many distilleries, but offers great potential, IMO.

Shields are still strong. You're not gonna talk me into it.

Joking of course. Love the cognac finishes, just not as jazzed about the sherry and port finishes. 

Thankfully, I haven't gotten on the finished bourbon bandwagon. I realize there some really good flavorful stuff out there but to me it's just not bourbon. Of course I'm also one of the crazy' s who think that if it's not made in Kentucky it isn't bourbon either. One of the things I love about this hobby. There's so many variations for a person to go that there is no right or wrong way to go about it.  

1 hour ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

Thankfully, I haven't gotten on the finished bourbon bandwagon. I realize there some really good flavorful stuff out there but to me it's just not bourbon. Of course I'm also one of the crazy' s who think that if it's not made in Kentucky it isn't bourbon either. One of the things I love about this hobby. There's so many variations for a person to go that there is no right or wrong way to go about it.  

Indeed, there are many options for a person to explore, with as many opinions to go along with them.  But, thinking that a bourbon not made in Kentucky is not bourbon, is just plain wrong.  Respectfully, "opinions" are invalid, in this case.

11 hours ago, Thig said:

I actually don't mind the occasional sweet dessert drink, just not sure about the price point.

9 hours ago, flahute said:

NO!

Just make yourself a pina colada and save yourself a lot of money. Tastes about the same. 

I don't think the AE Rye tastes much like a piña colada. I think it tastes like french toast, maple syrup and pecans. I agree that it's a try it before you buy it bottle. Even if you love it though, it'll last you 6 months. A little bit goes a long way.

28 minutes ago, IncredulousNosco said:

I don't think the AE Rye tastes much like a piña colada. I think it tastes like french toast, maple syrup and pecans. I agree that it's a try it before you buy it bottle. Even if you love it though, it'll last you 6 months. A little bit goes a long way.

I guess the AE Rye is quite the enigma, as I get major gingerbread.  But I'll agree that I don't see the pina colada thing, but hey, different strokes for different folks.  And frankly, I am still working on my bottle of AE Rye from several years ago.  It was a novelty when it came out, it was very interesting albeit polarizing, I bought a second bottle of it that in retrospect I did not need to buy, and it is simply not one that I reach for often.  It was an interesting wintertime, holiday-time pour, that was majorly supplanted by HWMWND, which is much more refined and enjoyable to my palate.

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Indeed, there are many options for a person to explore, with as many opinions to go along with them.  But, thinking that a bourbon not made in Kentucky is not bourbon, is just plain wrong.  Respectfully, "opinions" are invalid, in this case.

I can't be the only one here that refuses to buy bourbon because it's made some where other than Kentucky. I really don't think of myself as some "snob" it's more of a only so much money to buy bourbon with so I focus on all things Kentucky. I even short change NDP's but I do buy some of those.  

1 minute ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

I can't be the only one here that refuses to buy bourbon because it's made some where other than Kentucky. I really don't think of myself as some "snob" it's more of a only so much money to buy bourbon with so I focus on all things Kentucky. I even short change NDP's but I do buy some of those.  

Well, you are of course entitled to spend your hard-earned $$ in the fashion you deem best; but, there are more than a few interesting offerings in the Bourbon universe coming from areas outside the Hallowed Ground of Kentucky.    Most of the brands we've known over the years have indeed been distilled, and aged in KY; but there are several made elsewhere that are definitely worth a taste, if you care to seek 'em out.    I don't find it 'snobbish' to stick with those made in KY, just unnecessarily limiting.    But, if the State of KY and it's offerings are your preference, there a certainly many made there, and most are worth tipping over for sure.   In any case Have FUN!!!    That's what it's all about.

31 minutes ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

With as many options as there are, ain't nothing wrong at all with establishing filters, limits, etc. I for one will not buy an NDP if I don't know where it's actually from. That one is absolute. I also hardly ever buy anything less than 90 proof, though there are exceptions (very few, though, but 1792 Port is one, but IIRC it's 88.9 proof so just a hair short).

I'm not saying that your decision to not buy non-Kentucky produced bourbon is flawed or wrong.  I fully respect your position.  I only refer to your statement that "...if it's not made in Kentucky it isn't bourbon..." is a total falsehood that goes beyond opinion.  

Perhaps this isn't the thread to belabor this, but I can't even think of a reason to limit my selection of bourbon to only Kentucky. 

2 hours ago, IncredulousNosco said:

I'd like it a lot more if I got what you did out of it.

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I'm not saying that your decision to not buy non-Kentucky produced bourbon is flawed or wrong.  I fully respect your position.  I only refer to your statement that "...if it's not made in Kentucky it isn't bourbon..." is a total falsehood that goes beyond opinion.  

I don't think that is what he was saying Joe.  Just 'sayin!  ;)

Speaking of, I can think of several reasons to limit my selections of bourbon to only Kentucky produced.  I don't choose to do this, but if I did, with the selection this here commonwealth has to offer... I wouldn't be hurting too bad!  :lol:

17 hours ago, Thig said:

15 hours ago, flahute said:

NO!

Steve and I will differ a bit on this one as I like to experiment with finished bourbon and whiskies. That said, this seems to be close to the price point for the AE rye of late in the Atlanta area (maybe $80 but I haven't looked closely of late). Very different and maybe one you would want to try first if you can but I do think it is slightly better than even a "well made" (which in and of itself is a bit difficult to do... :D) Pina Colada.

You want Pina Colada you need Stiggins Rum. Indeed, a Pina Colada would be so much better if it was JUST Stiggins rum!

Hmm, maybe there is a drink idea in there with both AE Rye and Stiggins rum.

Edited by tanstaafl2
'cause I just thought of the Stiggins!

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

Speaking of, I can think of several reasons to limit my selections of bourbon to only Kentucky produced.  I don't choose to do this, but if I did, with the selection this here commonwealth has to offer... I wouldn't be hurting too bad!  :lol:

Thanks. I was trying my darnedest to point out that my opinion of what's bourbon is different than the actual definition of bourbon but sometimes the words just don't come out the way I hoped. 

2 hours ago, Paddy said:

Did so. :P

22 hours ago, Nm0369 said:

First post, forgive my lack of abbreviations.  Hit a few stores today that I don't usually frequent.  Passed on Angel's Envy Cask Strength $175 and Wild Turkey Diamond Anniversary $135.  Did end up with a dusty Booker's "Dot's batch" for $55.

Welcome to SB. Don't feel obligated to communicate exclusively in acronyms! I think a lot of folks on here are familiar with a lot of them, but there are plenty that make a lot of us have to think as well. Enjoy the Booker's. If that is one of your favorite pours you'll probably be glad you grabbed one now, before the price hike.

WR Master's collection brandy cask finish -there were 4 of them on the shelf - $99.99, what's with all these brandy cask finish's anyway?

Had a half pour of this today at the local shop.

One of the better WR Masters releases, but that is not saying much, as most of them had been more of a miss than hit.

Not worth the coin in my book.

B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Passed on a PHC10 at $500. I still regret not buying more PHC4 back in the day but I guess I can say that about a lot of bottles. 

19 hours ago, RocAFella1 said:

Passed on a PHC10 at $500. I still regret not buying more PHC4 back in the day but I guess I can say that about a lot of bottles. 

So true atout PHC4.  That is one great great bourbon.

I went to a local liquor store to buy an additional PHC4 to discover that they added about $20 to the minimum state price.  I thought what nerve and passed.  How could I have been so short sighted?

ECBP at $100. The most I have paid is $70 and that was too much considering all you guys who get it for $45-$50.

1 hour ago, Bbstout said:

ECBP at $100. The most I have paid is $70 and that was too much considering all you guys who get it for $45-$50.

The cheapest I see it in our area anymore is $65 when it makes an appearance at TW. The Stagg Jr still just sits there at $46 all day tho

3 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

The cheapest I see it in our area anymore is $65 when it makes an appearance at TW. The Stagg Jr still just sits there at $46 all day tho

Was just at that TW and an employee told me they got a case of OWA in the other day and it never hit the floor. He said there is a concierage service that gets notified of all the allocated stock. Said it is open to the general public but I've never heard of it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.