What Bourbon did you Pass Up Today? Fall 2016

elmossle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

40 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

Apparently Beam must be having problems selling their Signature Craft Harvest Collection. A large chain is having a HUGE sale on the Triticale Mash, Barley Mash, Soft Red Wheat Mash, High Rye Mashbill, Brown Rice Mash, and Whole Rolled Oat Mash. The 375's are regularly $49.99, on sale for $14.99.

Still won't buy any.

Whoa! That markdown is quite the indictment. I had the red wheat at a friend's house and thought it was pretty good. Not $100 good for 750ml though. I never bought one.

1 hour ago, Vosgar said:

Apparently Beam must be having problems selling their Signature Craft Harvest Collection. A large chain is having a HUGE sale on the Triticale Mash, Barley Mash, Soft Red Wheat Mash, High Rye Mashbill, Brown Rice Mash, and Whole Rolled Oat Mash. The 375's are regularly $49.99, on sale for $14.99.

Still won't buy any.

For $14.99 I'd probably try a couple. Most likely the wheat and the triticale.

Passed on Barrell 9yr, 13yr, and a new release: New Year (I think that is the name).   According to my whiskey monger, it is a blend of bourbons from TN, IN, and KY.  So Dickel, MGP, and ???

lots. curiously stopped at three places this week looking for SAOS rye. loaded up enough on everything else to not care about them.

I didn't pass on any bourbon today since retail alcohol sales are not legal in Indiana on Sundays.  However, I wanted to share that I passed on buying a new pillow at Kohl's with a MSRP of $179.99.  It was on sale for $89.99 and I did have some Kohl's cash so it would have been about $40 out-the-door.  I share this story because much like $300 bottles of bourbon, I never imagined almost $200 pillows in a store like Kohl's.  I realize no one ever pays the MSRP at Kohl's but it was still a mind blower.  What if MSRP for Booker's Rye was $300 but a retailer offered it for $150 would that make the price more reasonable?

To keep this on topic, I passed a lot of standard stuff at Wal-Mart yesterday.  I didn't check the prices.  I never do since I don't buy there.  :D

Edited by mbroo5880i

58 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I didn't pass on any bourbon today since retail alcohol sales are not legal in Indiana on Sundays.  However, I wanted to share that I passed on buying a new pillow at Kohl's with a MSRP of $179.99.  It was on sale for $89.99 and I did have some Kohl's cash so it would have been about $40 out-the-door.  I share this story because much like $300 bottles of bourbon, I never imagined almost $200 pillows in a store like Kohl's.  I realize no one ever pays the MSRP at Kohl's but it was still a mind blower.  What if MSRP for Booker's Rye was $300 but a retailer offered it for $150 would that make the price more reasonable?

To keep this on topic, I passed a lot of standard stuff at Wal-Mart yesterday.  I didn't check the prices.  I never do since I don't buy there.  :D

I love it. Well played. That must be one heck of a pillow.

I'd give Booker's Rye a whirl at $150.

I've passed on everything so far in January. I'm hoping to go the whole month without a purchase. We'll see. I tried to do the same last year and didn't make it.

14 hours ago, KrispinD said:

Came across a bottle of John E Fitzgerald 20 yr. Local wanted $5,000, so I picked up a Stagg Jr. instead.

Link to bottle info:
http://kybourbontrail.com/heaven-hill-offers-ultra-rare-john-e-fitzgerald-very-special-reserve-bourbon-release/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, wow. Those are 375ml bottles so they want a mere $10k equivalent for 750ml? Amazing, especially when it was a $300 MSRP bottle, and the reviews have not even been very good on average.....

Local liquor store chain has a few bottles of blanton's behind the glass for ... $190?!?!?

I kept looking at it to see if it was anything special, didn't seem like it.  That's just crazy.

Passed on WSR for $31 and a dusty bottle of Origine bourbon that has obviously been around for a while. Instead, picked up an older orange-capped OGD BIB. Seemed like the better choice.

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 3:26 PM, Vosgar said:

Still won't buy any.

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 4:12 PM, flahute said:

Whoa! That markdown is quite the indictment. I had the red wheat at a friend's house and thought it was pretty good. Not $100 good for 750ml though. I never bought one.

I would certainly buy at that price, and probably one of each, just to try them.

Presuming I had not already bought them... :huh:

I passed on Colville 5 yr old for $19.99 and Calumet Farms for $44.95. I don't know anything about either and I'm tired of buying unknowns that I end up feeling like I over paid or just plain don't like them. The CF calls itself bourbon whiskey and says it's a product of Kentucky which is odd enough to make me think something is fishy about it.  

10 minutes ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

I passed on Colville 5 yr old for $19.99 and Calumet Farms for $44.95. I don't know anything about either and I'm tired of buying unknowns that I end up feeling like I over paid or just plain don't like them. The CF calls itself bourbon whiskey and says it's a product of Kentucky which is odd enough to make me think something is fishy about it.  

Calumet Farms?    I heard, since the namesake is a well-known thoroughbred stable, that each barrel has a small amount of horse-piss added to each batch before bottling, gathered from an acclaimed stakes winner (The horse can't be named, of course due to ownership royalty agreements).    But, so unique due to this additive that the upcharge is well worth it.     ...I'm told.      ...Just sayin'.....

Passed on a few things today, most notable was EH Taylor Rye for $65.  I was tempted, but, I'm not a huge rye fan yet...

23 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I can't be the only person now dreaming about Kohls opening a bourbon section.

Would gladly go shopping with the wife if that ever happened!

The other day I went to a mom/pop in the boonies I've never been to before.  had some interesting stuff.  Had like 5-6 bottles of rockhill farms.  I have never seen it before here.  it was 64.99

I might not have even realized what it was, but I had just earlier that day saw someone's bunker photo that had like 10 bottles of RHF and I wasn't aware of what it even was.  This store also had a dusty handle of EC12 so I grabbed that, but I just noted to check the prices later of RHF (it didn't feel like it was in any danger at this store).

I searched around and saw some people comparing it to hancock's reserve.  I haven't tried that yet because it is always in stock at totalwine here, although I plan to some day.  

is RHF worth grabbing at 64.99? from what I gathered searching around, that's not a super great price and opinions seemed to be either totally in love with it or just meh

I'm in the minority on the board but I dislike HPR. It does not taste to me like the same mashbill as RHF, Blanton's or ETL even though it is. I love RHF and ETL and like Blanton's a lot though not as much as the other two. I'd buy RHF all day but try to get it under $60. If I couldn't, I'd buy at $65. My next taste of HPR will come from someone else's bottle to see if I like it, but I won't buy it again until I have a chance to revisit on someone else's purchase. 

47 minutes ago, Charlutz said:

I'm in the minority on the board but I dislike HPR. It does not taste to me like the same mashbill as RHF, Blanton's or ETL even though it is. I love RHF and ETL and like Blanton's a lot though not as much as the other two. I'd buy RHF all day but try to get it under $60. If I couldn't, I'd buy at $65. My next taste of HPR will come from someone else's bottle to see if I like it, but I won't buy it again until I have a chance to revisit on someone else's purchase. 

I had one bottle a couple years ago. I remember liking it, but not loving it. The 88.9 proof seemed kinda goofy to me along with the fact that BT doesn't mention it on their website... I just bought another in November, a PS from Liquor Barn. I haven't opened it yet, but I'm looking forward to revisiting it as a PS. I have a difficult time with that proof at $40 tho...

16 hours ago, Golzee said:

Passed on a few things today, most notable was EH Taylor Rye for $65.  I was tempted, but, I'm not a huge rye fan yet...

that's actually a decent price for the rye, usually I see it at $70 to $80.  that said, I dunno if I wanna pay that much for Rye just yet either...

On 1/7/2017 at 1:26 PM, Thig said:

ECBP for $159, good luck selling that one.

I actually saw one at $200 the other day.  Glad I found a few at msrp last fall.  Crazy folks out there!

Passed on Stagg Jr at $48.99 only because I was more focused on the OGD 114. ECBP was out of stock but the sign said $48.99. First time I've seen either of these bourbons at a reasonable price. I hope to find them both there next time I can get back to that store

Passed on CEHTSMB at $35. That's a decent price but I already have two of them. Also passed on AERye  I'm going to want to try that one in a bar or restaurant first I think.

14 hours ago, Clueby said:

Passed on CEHTSMB at $35.

I usually pass on all CEHT's (except a BP); however, I had a CEHTSiB that was particularly good over the holidays--now I can't find any Colonel Taylors.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.