What Bourbon did you Pass Up Today? Fall 2016

elmossle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

34 minutes ago, Bbstout said:

Was just at that TW and an employee told me they got a case of OWA in the other day and it never hit the floor. He said there is a concierage service that gets notified of all the allocated stock. Said it is open to the general public but I've never heard of it.

Bizarre, never heard anything like this before

1 hour ago, BottledInBond said:

Bizarre, never heard anything like this before

There is a concierge service, but it is supposed to be for Grand Reserve members.  I've tried to use it but was disappointed.  According to TW, this was set up to cater to those that purchased wine.  They are supposed to have the program geared towards other things, but as of yet, I've not seen this.  I tried getting a couple different bottles only to be told to "talk to a store rep. to see if they can order it."  Pretty useless.

On 12/22/2016 at 10:46 AM, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

I can't be the only one here that refuses to buy bourbon because it's made some where other than Kentucky. I really don't think of myself as some "snob" it's more of a only so much money to buy bourbon with so I focus on all things Kentucky. I even short change NDP's but I do buy some of those.  

Well, I don't "refuse" to buy non-Kentucky bourbons, but don't feel bad, you are not the only one who prefers them. I personally prefer to focus on Kentucky distillers but I make exceptions if I am given ample reason to.  I generally prefer not to favor "johnnie come lately's" who just rush to the market when there is money to be made suddenly.  I have exceptions however. It's not a rule, just a strategy I guess.

One store had Michter's 10 year for $104.99 and a Parker Heritage 24yr for $234.99. Both were on the shelf. Not sure if the prices were good so I passed on them. Another store had TH Handy for $199.99   Never realized the best day for bourbon hunting is the day after Christmas. 

2 hours ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

One store had Michter's 10 year for $104.99 and a Parker Heritage 24yr for $234.99. Both were on the shelf. Not sure if the prices were good so I passed on them. Another store had TH Handy for $199.99   Never realized the best day for bourbon hunting is the day after Christmas. 

That's a good price on the Michter's, retail is $120.  I've had one pour from my 2016 bottle and it was delightful.  A store close to me had some Whistle Pig in the glass case today.  Boss Hog 14yr for $329....seems crazy to me for what it is.

Passed on a bottle of stagg jr today. It was priced for $70 and I just couldn't bring myself to commit that kind of money on a barrel proofer I've never had before. Especially with all the other barrel proof options out there at better price points....hope I'm not kicking myself for this one down the road. First time I've seen it in retail on shelves here in the Carolinas....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, bourbontiger9 said:

Passed on a bottle of stagg jr today. It was priced for $70 and I just couldn't bring myself to commit that kind of money on a barrel proofer I've never had before. Especially with all the other barrel proof options out there at better price points....hope I'm not kicking myself for this one down the road. First time I've seen it in retail on shelves here in the Carolinas....

I would have passed too. Stagg Jr is a pretty darned good bourbon, but not for that price. I've been able to find it fairly regularly from $39.99 to $49.99 in my area. 

If Stagg Jr was worth $70 than Jim Beam should try to sell Bookers for $100. Hey, wait a minute...........that's not funny

I pass on Stagg Jr when it's priced over $50, since I know that I can usually find all I want at that price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, bourbontiger9 said:

I thought the ABC stores in NC sold at MSRP? Guess not in this case.

Edited by FacePlant

I thought the ABC stores in NC sold at MSRP? Guess not in this case.

This particular Stagg Jr bottle was in a SC store but, to your point, I definitely don't think NC is MSRP. I saw KC NAS for $50 on one NC ABC store's shelf today which seemed insane...

7 hours ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

If Stagg Jr was worth $70 than Jim Beam should try to sell Bookers for $100. Hey, wait a minute...........that's not funny

I know it's a joke, but even at the same price I prefer Stagg jr to Bookers. 

35 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

StaggJr (130pf) is still $38.99 OTD - picked up 2 yesterday!   ;)

I know there are a bunch of poopy faced debbie downers busy lamenting the end of the bourbon world right now who don't want to listen, but holy crap how does @GeeTen's post not give you hope for a bright future for our favorite brown spirit?  Stagg Jr is a BP NAS brand introduced during the boom that is fairly available and high quality for a reasonable price.  Same for OF1920 and ECBP (AS for now and less available, but generally beloved by everyone but me).  

Edited by garbanzobean

2 hours ago, garbanzobean said:

I know there are a bunch of poopy faced debbie downers busy lamenting the end of the bourbon world right now who don't want to listen, but holy crap how does @GeeTen's post not give you hope for a bright future for our favorite brown spirit?  Stagg Jr is a BP NAS brand introduced during the boom that is fairly available and high quality for a reasonable price.  Same for OF1920 and ECBP (AS for now and less available, but generally beloved by everyone but me).  

I agree that are great bourbons and bargains to be had.  I can easily pick out 5 to 10 bourbons or ryes for close to $50 or less that would be fine if they were all that is available.  The list of quality and affordable bourbons and ryes introduced since 2010 is quite extensive.

The thing I pick out of a post like @GeeTen's is curiosity why some seemingly allocated bourbons are plentiful and cheap in some areas.  I understand variability of state taxes, etc.  but Indiana is not one of the higher taxed states, at least from a retail perspective.  This leads me to believe a significantly higher wholesale cost in Indiana for products.  I can only assume this is due to the distributors charging more.  Stagg Jr. has never sold for less than the upper $40s in Indiana.  ETL available and for $23.99?  What is this 2012?  ECBP sitting on the shelves?  

38 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

The thing I pick out of a post like @GeeTen's is curiosity why some seemingly allocated bourbons are plentiful and cheap in some areas.  I understand variability of state taxes, etc.  but Indiana is not one of the higher taxed states, at least from a retail perspective.  This leads me to believe a significantly higher wholesale cost in Indiana for products.  I can only assume this is due to the distributors charging more.  Stagg Jr. has never sold for less than the upper $40s in Indiana.  ETL available and for $23.99?  What is this 2012?  ECBP sitting on the shelves?  

Taxachusetts does NOT tax wine, spirits and beer (even though they make up for it on almost everything else except for food)!  Yes, we can get StaggJr for only $38.99 and ETL for only $23.99.  Not only does it depend on our distributors' costs to buy, but also the mark-up from the point-of-sale store.  Big Box stores tend to live with smaller mark-ups and also save by paying for their stocks on delivery, by check, and not using a 30-day float to manage cash flow.

But try to find an ECBP on the shelf - not a chance!  So, in the words of the immortal singer "Prince", party like it's 1999! 

:wub:

Edited by GeeTen
The usual spelling and grammar corrections.

In miami for several days visiting wifes family, went out for a run this morning & passed a mom/pop shop. I was obilged to take a look inside. They had a bottle of Lot B in their glass case; I asked the proprieter how much. He said $699. I gasped.

He did have in that glass case, however, a bottle of 1994 vintage Knappogue Castle for $99. The only time I've actually seen one. May have to go back.

19 hours ago, bourbontiger9 said:

Hmmm, sometimes it's easier to just pay the extra if you think you won't get another chance. If it is the 132.5 or 132.2 proof I'd suggest getting it. The 129 proof I didn't like quite as much, it started off rather hot, but did calm down with some airtime. If you see the OF 1920 in the 50-60$ range think about getting one. I did a recent SBS of that and some others and it showed very well against some of the big boys.

Taxachusetts does NOT tax wine, spirits and beer (even though they make up for it on almost everything else except for food)!  

Oh sure they do. They just couldn't get away with the added sales tax when they tried a few years ago.

http://www.mass.gov/dor/businesses/help-and-resources/legal-library/administrative-procedures/ap-115-alcoholic-beverage-excise-tax-gl-c.html

Had an Age Stated Knob Creek for $42 in my hand (it would've given me a 2nd one for the bunker) but I put it Back and purchased a 4 Roses Single Barrel instead. On sale for $38. Looking forward to opening it tonight. I haven't had this one in a long time. 

Hmmm, sometimes it's easier to just pay the extra if you think you won't get another chance. If it is the 132.5 or 132.2 proof I'd suggest getting it. The 129 proof I didn't like quite as much, it started off rather hot, but did calm down with some airtime. If you see the OF 1920 in the 50-60$ range think about getting one. I did a recent SBS of that and some others and it showed very well against some of the big boys.

Thanks for the info/recommendations on the stagg jr. I have been able to find OF 1920 in that price range and snagged a bottle based on the recommendations on here and the reviews I read online. Definitely an interesting pour. I've only had 2 pours from my bottle and hoping the flavors of the bottle become pronounced with some airtime. I agree that this one doesn't drink like it's proof but the flavor on it is awesome. Definitely unique.

16 hours ago, upStomp said:

Oh sure they do. They just couldn't get away with the added sales tax when they tried a few years ago.

http://www.mass.gov/dor/businesses/help-and-resources/legal-library/administrative-procedures/ap-115-alcoholic-beverage-excise-tax-gl-c.html

OK, you got me.  The tax is in the shelf tag price.  There's NO additional Sales Tax added at the registers.  Happy now?   :lol:

And I really like your avatar - does the Chinese character for "central" represent your location or bourbon preferences (or both?).  :huh:

But back on topic - passed last night on Angel's Envy Cask Strength bourbon @ $189.99.  YIKES!   :o

Edited by GeeTen
Same same

1 hour ago, Nm0369 said:

I've seen Whistlepig Boss Hog at three different stores this week.  Do people really pay $320+ for this stuff?

It makes you wonder. There are a lot of recent entry's in the triple digit category but I'm uncertain as to how well they are selling. In my neck of the woods they seem to sit for a long time. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.