What Bourbon did you Pass Up Today? Fall 2016

elmossle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 7:25 AM, ccleve23 said:

I bet I know where you went.

All of us around Ellicott City know where :).   It used to be a good place to shop.  It's a shame they had to start gouging. 

Passed on a bottle of AH Hirsch 16. Only $2,500. 

Also passed on a Parker's Heritage 24. Just 300 bucks.

On 11/11/2016 at 4:25 PM, JTaylor said:

Passed on a 1.75 OWA @ $52 since I have 3 750's bunkered and I see OWA pretty regularly. Grabbed a OGD 114 instead...

JTaylor would you happen to let me know where you are finding all of these Wellers? I am in Central Michigan and can't ever seem to find any. Weller 12 is my my favorite of all time!

I know most members don't like to give up their honey spots, but since you passed on the Wellers I thought you might be willing. Either way, thanks.

Passed on Van winkle lot b at $399 and rye at $1000 

Also passed on weller sr and antique at $40ea (I have plenty bunkered that I paid less for). 

Passed a Willett family reserve rye (something like 112 proof I think), an whistle pig something, and a ezra b 12 yr. Was tempted by the ezra b, but a quick search online didn't show very favorable reviews. And it would have been hard to get it home. I think he was asking 41 for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Michter's 10 yr, Michter's BP rye, JD Sinatra and JD's 150th anniversary.  Probably will end up with the rye before it's over with...:ph34r: 

Passed on some OWA even though it was the first I'd seen in a while, and I currently have none. Considering their asking price, I'd say they were pretty proud of them. 

Edited by Midwest101

2 hours ago, Paddy said:

Michter's 10 yr, Michter's BP rye, JD Sinatra and JD's 150th anniversary.  Probably will end up with the rye before it's over with...:ph34r: 

I love to hate on Michter's, but the BP rye is pretty dang good to my palate.

1 minute ago, flahute said:

Yeah, I pretty much resigned myself to being 'cursed' (to buy one), when you gave it your stamp of approval. 

Thanks for lifting the curtain of shame off!  You're such a team player.:P 

9 hours ago, flahute said:

It's good, but it's not $80 good to me. Michter's seems to know what they're doing with their pricing, though.

On 11/16/2016 at 1:30 PM, BeardedProf said:

JTaylor would you happen to let me know where you are finding all of these Wellers? I am in Central Michigan and can't ever seem to find any. Weller 12 is my my favorite of all time!

I know most members don't like to give up their honey spots, but since you passed on the Wellers I thought you might be willing. Either way, thanks.

I almost never see the stuff in Michigan either... I have a cousin who lives in KY and also happens to be an enthusiast so he brings stuff up every couple months and I make the trip down into Indiana on occasion and there are a couple places that once in a blue moon get OWA on the shelf, but it doesn't last long... I never see W12, last month a LS manager I've gotten acquainted with in IN got me a W12 and a THH, but those never hit the shelves. It has certainly become a treasure hunt for sure... 

6 hours ago, amg said:

It's good, but it's not $80 good to me. Michter's seems to know what they're doing with their pricing, though.

I purchased mine for $70 and that's the absolute max for me.

1 hour ago, flahute said:

I purchased mine for $70 and that's the absolute max for me.

Even at $70 it would be tough for me when I can get Pikesville for $40ish. Different strokes, though, of course.

I don't get the fascination with Micthers.  Just out of principle, eff them.  I read something on one of the FB groups yesterday, someone claiming he heard M20 had some S-W distillate.  Really?  How could anyone have possibly heard anything when Michters says nothing about its products on its good days and utter lies on its bad days?...

Edited by dcbt
typo

Re: Michter's...I visited the Pennsylvania distillery in the 80's sometime (prior to turning 21).  They claimed it was the oldest distillery in the country at the time.  They were also making their own charcoal onsite (a version of the Lincoln County process?  I don't remember).  It was a quaint place.  I assume they were actually MAKING whiskey there.  I even bought a bottle of their "original sour mash" at the gift shop.  I drank the whiskey but kept the bottle for a LONG time but I'm pretty sure it's gone now.  I still have the pamphlet from the visitor's center though.

Passed on Michters 10yr for $129.99, EC18 for $179.99, and  Van Winkle Family Reserve lot b at $249.

Just didn't have the coin, so it wasn't a hard choice.

Edited by Richdel

3 hours ago, dcbt said:

I don't get the fascination with Micthers.  Just out of principle, eff them.  I read something on one of the FB groups yesterday, someone claiming he heard M20 had some S-W distillate.  Really?  How could anyone have possibly heard anything when Michters says nothing about its products on its good days and utter lies on its bad days?...

By taste and rumor not by anything official. Some of the earlier 20 yr pretty clearly had at least some S-W in the mix.  At least the taste and nose hallmarks were there. The 2016 did not have the same profile. At all. 

7 minutes ago, Old Dusty said:

By taste and rumor not by anything official. Some of the earlier 20 yr pretty clearly had at least some S-W in the mix.  At least the taste and nose hallmarks were there. The 2016 did not have the same profile. At all. 

I don't understand the " in the mix" comment, or any suggestions that there is "some S-w" in it. It is clearly labeled a single barrel product, so it shouldn't be a blend. That is of course unless Michter's is lying about it being a single barrel product, which is totally possible given that they are scummbags all around. I could see them blending and re- barreling the blend for one day and then dumping that barrel and slapping a single-barrel label on it or some crap. Maybe that is giving them too much credit and it is more old fashioned straight lies. 

1 hour ago, BottledInBond said:

I don't understand the " in the mix" comment, or any suggestions that there is "some S-w" in it. It is clearly labeled a single barrel product, so it shouldn't be a blend. That is of course unless Michter's is lying about it being a single barrel product, which is totally possible given that they are scummbags all around. I could see them blending and re- barreling the blend for one day and then dumping that barrel and slapping a single-barrel label on it or some crap. Maybe that is giving them too much credit and it is more old fashioned straight lies. 

Hedging my bets w the "in the mix". I'm with you that I have no confidence that they are following the label. Maybe they are single barrel but awfully high yields for a 20 yr product. Maybe they rebarreled bulk or mixed bulk and then dumped those "single barrels" Who knows. The older 20's do taste really good though-putting aside questions of price and provenance.  But to my palate they have run out of the good stuff as of the last release. 

7 hours ago, amg said:

Even at $70 it would be tough for me when I can get Pikesville for $40ish. Different strokes, though, of course.

Can't fault you for that as Pikesville is the much better value. They taste different enough to me that I'm willing to spring for it. I'd never try to talk anyone into it though. It just works for me.

I haven't passed on anything because its so hard to get anything different here in Ohio. Anyone know where in the Cleveland area might have something nice hidden away? Willing to drive even for something not found at every store being state run.... I found a local guy selling a 2015 angels envy cask for 350 but that is steep though I love the stuff.

Passed on ORVW10 ($300), VWSR12 ($500), PVWFR15 ($1000), PVWFR20 (1500), PVWFR23 ($2500) - all at my local liquor store.  Simply can't bring myself to pay that much for brown water - no matter how delicious.

Edited by starhopper

Didn't pass up so much as missed out: Most of the major lotteries in the area for LE fall release bourbons have concluded, and I appear to have completely struck out this year.

It's sort of disappointing, but not enough to make me actually go back on the active hunt or whatever it is you have to do now to get stuff.

I don't know of any stores locally that we're doing an open Lottery this year. Everything was going to established customer lists or closed lotteries for select customers only.

1 hour ago, garbanzobean said:

Didn't pass up so much as missed out: Most of the major lotteries in the area for LE fall release bourbons have concluded, and I appear to have completely struck out this year.

It's sort of disappointing, but not enough to make me actually go back on the active hunt or whatever it is you have to do now to get stuff.

Me too, as well as my two Thirsty Thursday regular bourbon buddies. All missed. MoCo released way less than they did last year. I think I remember that they had about 300 bottles of BTAC for 1500 lottery participants last year. This year there were 3000+ participants and it looked like well under 100 bottles. Oh well.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.