Stagg Jr.

doubleblank
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Based on what I've read thus far, I stand by my "try before I buy" strategy. This strategy will hold firmly in place . . . until I see one before I've had a chance to try one and lose my @#$% mind :)

Based on what I've read thus far, I stand by my "try before I buy" strategy. This strategy will hold firmly in place . . . until I see one before I've had a chance to try one and lose my @#$% mind :)

I didn't think the review was that bad. It was being compared to two stalwart barrel proofs both of which are difficult to find. It provides another option which is a good thing. I can't help but wonder if opting to call it Stagg Jr. instead of BT Barrel Proof might prove to be more of a hindrance than helpful. The name creates a different level of expectations. In the end, it probably won't matter as they will probably sell more than they can make.

I didn't think the review was that bad. It was being compared to two stalwart barrel proofs both of which are difficult to find. It provides another option which is a good thing. I can't help but wonder if opting to call it Stagg Jr. instead of BT Barrel Proof might prove to be more of a hindrance than helpful. The name creates a different level of expectations. In the end, it probably won't matter as they will probably sell more than they can make.

Personally I will buy one or two right out of the gate. Not everyone likes the same thing so I will give it a thorough inspection of my own. It is hard work but someone has to do it.

This is not meant to cut down GTS Jr (especially since I haven't tasted it) but ECBP is going to be tough to beat and as established as it already is, it is also a new expression this year.

This is not meant to cut down GTS Jr (especially since I haven't tasted it) but ECBP is going to be tough to beat and as established as it already is, it is also a new expression this year.

ECBP has been around awhile in the Gift Shop version although it is clearly a different creature from the retail ECBP.

Stagg Jr. "Because quality takes a backseat to super high proof and cool ass horns on the bottle!"

Edited by LostBottle

I am with you. I am on the waiting list for both. I know that I might not get either which would be disappointing but ok since there are plenty other options to choose from. However, I am expecting ECBP to be a better bourbon and better value.

I think had I not had ECBP, the Stagg Jr might be an automatic buy for me. But the guys/gals at HH have raised the stakes on what to expect for $40-$50. And it doesn't sound like many who've tried both think Stagg Jr made it over the bar.

I think had I not had ECBP, the Stagg Jr might be an automatic buy for me. But the guys/gals at HH have raised the stakes on what to expect for $40-$50. And it doesn't sound like many who've tried both think Stagg Jr made it over the bar.

I am in this beautiful, reckless exploration phase so I will try anything! I am a sucker for barrel strength at the moment too. My only problem is that I am convinced some kind of gremlin is raiding my liquor closet every night and drinking my bottles down. I can't find any other explanation for the rate of depletion.

I'm afraid Stagg Jr. isn't on my acquisition list though ECBP is should I ever come across one.

The wind has really come out of my sails for this one. I'm sure a bottle will hit the Gazebo, perhaps that will change my mind.

:lol:

I'm thankful to have exited that phase (although it was a helluva lot of fun). I bought anything/everything I could find at barrel proof, and while I didn't hate any of it - I had buyers remorse on a few that had I tried prior, I would not have bought (not that they were bad, but that I would have spent that money on something I would have enjoyed more). I do like variety, so it isn't just about value/enjoyment - but I've gotten loads of variety now :D

So far I have met exactly one barrel strength I didn't like and it is the Dry Fly Washington Wheat Whiskey. It is a ghastly young thing that isn't even suitable for mixing.

It is a ghastly young thing that isn't even suitable for mixing.

That's one of the most witheringly sentences I've ever read describing a whisky.

So far I have met exactly one barrel strength I didn't like and it is the Dry Fly Washington Wheat Whiskey. It is a ghastly young thing that isn't even suitable for mixing.

I was disappointed in the CEHT Barrel Proof. For about the same price as GTS, I'd take ECBP or even Bookers over it. I thought it was hot without much else going for it (obviously, others like it - so it just doesn't hit my wheelhouse). I loved CEHT Tornado, and expected to love the barrel proof. Sadly - twas not to be.

Here a blogger, there a blogger, everywhere a bloger bloger, Old McBlogger had a blog.

Yeah I really don't have a lot of respect for too many others opinions. I just wait till it's at the bar and try it before I buy it.

The wind has really come out of my sails for this one. I'm sure a bottle will hit the Gazebo, perhaps that will change my mind.
I wouldn't say you'll have to wait that long as I'm sure a sample from said tasting panel will send one your way and you can decide from there.:skep:

I am not surprised..frankly I think the success of BTAC and PVW has gone to their heads at Buffalo Trace. I don't do Twitter and Facebook but my BIL does and many of the posts of Julian Van Winkle are very elitist and in your face about how PVW has become unobtanium. I have decided that I will no longer buy BT products myself. Maker's and MM46 along with Larceny fill my wheater needs and I like other ryed bourbons better than anything BT makes. I guess I will need to change my nickname..??

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.