Stagg Jr.

doubleblank
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It makes me chuckle that people are complaining about its lack of availability before it's even been released.

At what point will a distillery put a turd in a bottle, label it special and sell it for $75? How long after that do you think it will be on the BX for double the price?

Woodford Reserve has this covered. Second question, immediately.

That's a ridiculous analogy and very crude assessment of the mentality of both the distillers and the buying public. You should be ashamed of yourself. Clearly a turd-in-bottle would only sell if said turd was of the wheated variety ( perhaps wheat thins or shredded wheat in the "mash") laid to rest in Stitzel-Weller barrels in 1991 and bottled in an appropriately antique looking package. At that point $75 would be a steal.

Ha! Well played sir, well played. I might add though, if you put it in a special cardboard tube, you might get $80 for it.

Ha! Well played sir, well played. I might add though, if you put it in a special cardboard tube, you might get $80 for it.

That is the scotch industry's strategy.

I would love that. If that bottle is indeed what the bottle will be, it will have to be 750ml because that is the only size on the COLA.

While the pictured bottle seems to me to have the proportions of a 750ml, they could release a 375ml under the same COLA, because the TTB allows changes to the "net contents statement" and use of a proportionally smaller label without re-applying.

http://www.ttb.gov/labeling/allowable_revisions.shtml

As far as the whiskey goes, well, I'll snag one as soon as I see one. Yum!

IIRC, the fifth mashbill is for Rain Vodka.

BT has five mashbills, one for rye, one for wheated Bourbon and three for traditional Bourbon. Presumably CEHT is one of the three but with different warehouse(s), selected barrels and Master Blenders I expect it will be it's own thing.

Sent from my Windows Phone 7 using Board Express

A few pages back I set the line at 64.98. I'm pleasantly surprised to be wrong on the over guess, as I'm sure Josh, MyOldKyDram, petrel and Squire are (squire changed his vote mid-game).

Congrats to SFS, berto, HP12, Dolph and Qman on guessing the under and for Trey and TComp on being one penny off msrp.

Your prizes are a Julios private selection Weller from hectic's cellar, a whiskey proverb from squire, and an internet flogging from Chuck.

Got an email today from BT confirming the upcoming release of Stagg Jr. Check out the Industry News forum for more info.

Joe

First, EC12 goes barrel proof, now BT goes barrel proof. $10 price bump for calling it Stagg. Hmmm.

I'm pleasantly surprised to be wrong on the over guess, as I'm sure Josh, MyOldKyDram, petrel and Squire are (squire changed his vote mid-game).

First, EC12 goes barrel proof, now BT goes barrel proof. $10 price bump for calling it Stagg. Hmmm.

Lucky it wasn't more for calling it Stagg.

it's all the same when it goes in the barrel.

In the end, the label determines whether its going to be a $20 bottle or a $$$ bottle.

B

It's all good, at my age just waking up in the morning makes me cheerful about most thingsl

IIRC, the fifth mashbill is for Rain Vodka.

Sent from my Windows Phone 7 using Board Express

Rain vodka is no more. The ingredients to call it organic proved too costly. (Actually I would bet lack of sales were its doom).

From a retailers pov, vodka is about price and/or marketing. Get it into rap songs and videos and it will sell for a premium. Everything else is price point. Burnetts and UV sell because they are Cheap. Ciroc and grey goose sell because of product placement and marketing.

It's my understanding the majors can buy vodka from MGP cheaper than they can make it themselves.

Stagg has definitley slipped over the last couple of years (I am currently using my 2012 bottle to make BBQ glazes) and I would have already been inclined to call it Jr. Don't you think this new release should have been called Stagg Jr Jr?

Edited by LostBottle

I would agree with you to some extent Will,last years GTS was a flop,dry and rather one note indeed.I did find 09-11 to all be rather good though and the '11 in particular to be a standout for me with deep and rich black cherry notes all through the mid-palate which I found to add a nice bit of much needed sweetness and complexity.I see variance in every year but will fully agree that last years release was a true letdown and we aren't the only ones on here to take notice to this very fact.

I think you are spot on in regards to the '09 and '10 bottlings, those were a couple knockouts. I really hope they can pull it back to that level, but with the push to get more bottles to meet demand, I am not terribly hopeful.

Edited by LostBottle

Rain vodka is no more. The ingredients to call it organic proved too costly. (Actually I would bet lack of sales were its doom).

Funny, the facebook page is still active as of 2 weeks ago...

Funny, the facebook page is still active as of 2 weeks ago...

It is still active for the time being. But will be discontinued in the near future. Or at least calling it organic will be a thing of the past.

Stagg has definitley slipped over the last couple of years (I am currently using my 2012 bottle to make BBQ glazes) and I would have already been inclined to call it Jr. Don't you think this new release should have been called Stagg Jr Jr?

I think it should be called George T. Stagg III...or Trey Stagg.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.