What bourbon are you enjoying (Winter 2016/17)?

Charlutz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Got one of those for Christmas.  Haven't cracked it open yet.

You should, i was not a big fan of the regular MM but this one is good, it was the first pour of the bottle, so it needs to open up a little bit.

3 minutes ago, Masset1982 said:

You should, i was not a big fan of the regular MM but this one is good, it was the first pour of the bottle, so it needs to open up a little bit.

I might just have to do that tonight!  The regular MM is typically my "wedding reception last resort" pour when it's either that or JD.  I think the M46 is decent also.  Haven't tried M46 Cask Strength.

If you do so, let me know what are you think about it. Never tried M46CS either, not available in Europe.

Cheers!

Small pours thus far of BirdDog 10 yr, SAOS American Whiskey, and a slightly larger pour of Blade & Bow 22yr

Jim Beam Double Oak. Honestly I wasn't thrilled with it at first, but tonight it's hitting all the right notes for me.

In emptying a couple of bottles last week, I vatted the last small remnants of a Lot B and an Old Rip 10 into a 200 ml. That be what I'm pouring tonight. Just like Campbell's Soup. "Mmmm Mmmm Good." :)

Cheers! Joe

IMG_0453.JPG

Cracked this bottle of Old Fitz BiB and I'm working on pour #2.  This is nice for a $15 bottle, it's dated 2009.  I had a false alarm the other day when I found this bottle.  Fairly seedy store with deep rows of the BiB and Prime.....bottom shelf and relatively dusty.  I literally never see any Fitz so it caught me off guard.  Everything was from the 2000's though, no SW for me.  :huh:

20 hours ago, flahute said:

For no good reason I declared it to be a wheater night. Starting with RR10yr SiB and I have a good barrel here. 2 drops of water really makes it sing. I will follow with the old standby, OWA.

Is the RR10yr SiB a wheater? I don't see it listed on my wheated bourbons chart. Also, is the SiB a 10yr? I don't see an age statement on the label.

The reason I'm asking, is I have a bottle of RR10yr, that isn't a SiB, and is 90 proof, and am wondering if it's a wheater.

Thanks,

Dean

Edited by Queball
Clarification of question

18 minutes ago, Queball said:

Is the RR10yr SiB a wheater? I don't see it listed on my wheated bourbons chart. Also, is the SiB a 10yr? I don't see an age statement on the label.

The reason I'm asking, is I have a bottle of RR10yr, that isn't a SiB, and is 90 proof, and am wondering if it's a wheater.

Thanks,

Dean

To answer your questions, no and no. The confusion is a small typo in Steve's post. I'm sure he meant RY10 which is wheated and single barrel. Turkey makes no wheated bourbon. 

7 hours ago, Masset1982 said:

My first bottle of MMCS, I'll not be the last, pretty tasty. 

Cheers! 

IMG_8052.JPG

MMCS is under appreciated in my humble opinion. Reasonable price, good viscosity, flavors. 

I dig it

11 minutes ago, Old Dusty said:

To answer your questions, no and no. The confusion is a small typo in Steve's post. I'm sure he meant RY10 which is wheated and single barrel. Turkey makes no wheated bourbon. 

Thanks, Dusty!

Dean

Edited by Queball

32 minutes ago, Queball said:

Thanks,

Dean

11 minutes ago, Old Dusty said:

Well shoot. Dusty is correct. I meant Rebel Yell. I guess I've been drinking so much Russell's 10yr lately that I developed muscle memory in my typing.

Apologies!

Recently purchased a bottle of Town Branch.  Getting ready to un cork it to celebrate my U of L Card's 106 - 51 drubbing of the Pitt Panthers.

31 minutes ago, Queball said:

Is the RR10yr SiB a wheater? I don't see it listed on my wheated bourbons chart.

Thanks,

Dean

My guess it is a typo.  Probably fat fingers... :lol:  Intended RY10yr SiB (Rebel Yell 10yr SiB), I'm sure.

15 minutes ago, flahute said:

Well shoot. Dusty is correct. I meant Rebel Yell. I guess I've been drinking so much Russell's 10yr lately that I developed muscle memory in my typing.

Apologies!

Glad you got a good barrel of the Reb! 

6 hours ago, Masset1982 said:

Like most wheater's, it definitely gets better as it opens up.

I bought a case of 750's last year when a store had them on sale for $36

:)

Still working on this bottle, Colonel E.H. Taylor Jr. Single Barrel BIB (100 Proof).

JW Dant BIB.  Have no idea why I'm "slumming".  Guess it is because I like it.B)

Edited by Harry in WashDC
added the quotes & the smiley to show I'm woofing.

Just finished a glass of that Town Branch.  Not bad.  Probably better as a mixer.  Enjoyed it but really doesn't stand as tall as some recent pours.

A few of us Maryland SB'ers met a local BBQ joint and had a great time tonight.  If you count the whole table, we had GTS, THH, ORVW, Lot B, ETL, RHF, W12 and probably a few others that I didn't see. Plus beers and food. Pic is dark but left front going clockwise around the table is garbanzobean (Eric), meadeweber (Jason), jfw (Joe) and then back right working to front is stoopsie (Howie), his buddy Kevin, Charlutz (Charlie) and mdbourbon (Scott). We had a great time and it was good to put faces to names. Thanks fellas!

PS -  pic was just before we left, thus the high incidence of water and lack of whiskey (we drank it all).

IMG_2539.JPG

Edited by Charlutz

8 hours ago, Masset1982 said:

If you do so, let me know what are you think about it. Never tried M46CS either, not available in Europe.

Cheers!

I did try it (MMCS) tonight. Got a heavy acetone like smell on the nose at first. It dissipated a bit was still there some after a while. Other than that I get some sweet smell and then a spiciness (curry?). I dont really get any oak. The mouthfeel is very syrupy and the dominant taste is sweetness. At the end i get a bit of spice and then finally the oak as it fades out. The finish is the most balanced of the whole experience with sweet, spice, and oak all together for a short bit but the palate is so syrupy sweet that its really one dimensional. Way sweeter than i expected. My experience may have been compromised by having some Stagg Jr. just before this.

1 hour ago, Charlutz said:

A few of us Maryland SB'ers met a local BBQ joint and had a great time tonight.  If you count the whole table, we had GTS, THH, ORVW, Lot B, ETL, RHF, W12 and probably a few others that I didn't see. Plus beers and food. Pic is dark but left front going clockwise around the table is garbanzobean (Eric), meadeweber (Jason), jfw (Joe) and then back right working to front is stoopsie (Howie), his buddy Kevin, Charlutz (Charlie) and mdbourbon (Scott). We had a great time and it was good to put faces to names. Thanks fellas!

PS -  pic was just before we left, thus the high incidence of water and lack of whiskey (we drank it all).

IMG_2539.JPG

Nice! Good work there fellas!

OGD 114. Bought a few bottles recently, opened one tonight, and am really enjoying it.  Pairs nicely with the Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey tobacco I bought on a nostalgia whim. I smoked it in college and have not tried it since, some  35 years later. Slainte!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.