What bourbon are you enjoying (Winter 2016/17)?

Charlutz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The first pour during the Eagles Cowboys game was a healthy pour of Henry McKenna BiB.  It was followed by a lighter pour of Evan William SB2004.  At this moment, including bottle cost, I think I tend to lean more to the EWSB2004.  But there is quite a lot of the bottles left that could change my mind.  FRSB to round the night off while watching the Packers and Lions, and the Flyers and Ducks.

Last day of the NFL season and bourbon go so well together.  Actually, any day of the NFL season and bourbon go together.  KC 9 year is the selection tonight.  KC 9 year and EC NAS are my favorite two "available" pours right now.  I had the option for some barrel selects and LE's tonight and this was my preference.

SB.com Blend during and after watching the Pats toy with the Dolphins to have the best record in the NFL and set "home field advantage" throughout the AFC playoffs.  Any Bourbon drinkers in Houston?????   :D

Looking for a great friend with a bottle of Weller Centenial to do a SBS tasting with the SB.com Blend - some mighty nice juice there, my friends!   :wub:

15 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Actually, any day of the NFL season and bourbon go together. 

I live by this motto.

Being on the west coast, football starts at 10am so I'm still drinking coffee then. Usually not ready for bourbon until late in the second game but I for sure enjoy a couple pours during the night games. Watching the Packers/Lions right now with some Russell's Reserve SiB private barrel. The night is still young.

11 minutes ago, flahute said:

I live by this motto.

Being on the west coast, football starts at 10am so I'm still drinking coffee then. Usually not ready for bourbon until late in the second game but I for sure enjoy a couple pours during the night games. Watching the Packers/Lions right now with some Russell's Reserve SiB private barrel. The night is still young.

Watching the NFL on the west coast is the best. You basically get 3 full meals, breakfast, lunch, and dinner. And you can still sleep early for the dreadful Monday morning. 

Still recovering from last night but contemplating what to pour before dinner. 

1 hour ago, Three quarks said:

The last OWA I had was great, but a WSR purchased in DEC clearly needed more age. The $19 paid for the WSR was too much. OWA is much better.

I found 2 X W12s recently and still prefer the OWA by a wide margin. Would not pay much more than SRP for W12.

That's a shame.  OWA fell pretty sharply in quality a number of years back, but it's been on point since 2015 at the latest, if not before.  Was hoping that WSR might be climbing back out of the pit it fell into once BT started trying to stretch their supply of wheated mashbill bourbon just that little bit farther.

W12 isn't really distributed in Maryland, so I don't bother looking for it.  Anytime the odd case slips into the state, people either camp out or it goes for secondary prices.  And if I'm being honest, I haven't enjoyed it all that much the few times I've tried it.  My tastes change from time to time though, so that's something that requires periodic reexamination.

I  started out this evening with a 50/50 blend of OWA and OW12.  The OWA was a Party Source Private Selection for 2012 that never hit my taste buds.  The Weller 12 from 2013 seemed to be way over oaked.  I never could make a connection with either.  I vatted these about 2-3 years ago and finally decided I wanted to taste it.  

DAMN.  It was outstanding.  

I guess the moral of the story is to never give up on a bottle.

2 hours ago, Three quarks said:

The last OWA I had was great, but a WSR purchased in DEC clearly needed more age. The $19 paid for the WSR was too much. OWA is much better.

I found 2 X W12s recently and still prefer the OWA by a wide margin. Would not pay much more than SRP for W12.

Thank you !  Finally someone else who agrees with me on this... W12 does nothing for me.  Lot B is marginally better.  OWA, & ORVW are super nice.  I think I like higher proof on my wheaters, because MMCS is also a favorite.

In New Orleans to watch Oklahoma vs Auburn in the Sugar Bowl. Besides wine at dinner, started the night with s Sazerac coctail with Rittenhouse. Now I'm at the hotel bar in the French Quarter having a Blantons. Nice. 

A micro pour of RYSB10 this morning.  This bottle is getting better as it rests after being opened.  I'm starting to see the Weller Centennial comparisons.

A small pour from my 2014 Sazerac 18 that has been open for years now. Its down to around 1/4 left, better start enjoying it sooner than later. Followed by a nice pour of RR10SiB to cheer on the Packers to victory.

NYE I went with LotB, then finished the open bottle of 1792 High Rye and finished the bourbon for the evening with Blanton's Gold - had a couple of small glasses of Veuve Cliquot for the toast and believe it or not for the first time in forever woke with a headache - I think the champagne had to be the cause because I never have a headache from just bourbon - must be the sulfites

On 1/1/2017 at 8:13 AM, Old Dusty said:

And while nobody has claimed ownership it IS undisputed that the 60/40 blend of OWA to W12 was concocted on SB. That's not futile or pointless.

That's just silly.  "Undisputed"?   Maybe my great uncle blended OWA and W12 long before SB ever existed, but because it didn't happen on the internet, I guess that doesn't matter, right?   See... futile and pointless.

10 minutes ago, Kepler said:

That's just silly.  "Undisputed"?   Maybe my great uncle blended OWA and W12 long before SB ever existed, but because it didn't happen on the internet, I guess that doesn't matter, right?   See... futile and pointless.

Ummmm......his point was that the guy who made the term "poor man's pappy" popular admitted that he got the idea for the concoction here on the pages of SB where it had long been known as the SB blend. That is very much a relevant point. As has already been demonstrated, the concoction was never intended to emulate anything Pappy because the result of it isn't anything close to anything Pappy. This is why we don't like the term. It was created to perpetuate the hype and generate clicks.

28 minutes ago, Kepler said:

It is undisputed that the particular ratio of W12 and OWA (and only those brands in that specific ratio) was developed here for the express pourpose of emulating Weller Centennial. And it is undisputed that the Blend was "borrowed"  unchanged but for a catchy name and sent out into the viral wilds of the bourbon boom. If you have evidence (writings, photos, cave drawings, songlines) that your great uncle or Sammy Davis Jr. or anyone else in the world came up with it first then I'm all ears. Until then the SB archives provide the date stamped proof of origin. You are creating a dispute with a strawman.  Without the SB Blend there would be no Poor Man's Pappy and we wouldn't be having this discussion. 

Really sorry I posted this the other day, seems like it is taking on a life of it own.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, a small pour of Henry McKenna BiB as I settle in to watch the Rose Bowl.  Go Nits!

1 hour ago, Richdel said:

Really sorry I posted this the other day, seems like it is taking on a life of it own.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, a small pour of Henry McKenna BiB as I settle in to watch the Rose Bowl.  Go Nits!

By all means, no apology necessary. It's a discussion worth having. Lot's of newcomers don't know the history of the blend so it's good to get the story straight and back out there.

Don't feel bad.  You should see the thread where I posted that Ralfy (a popular YouTube reviewer) was off his d@mn rocker when it came to American whisky.

Whiskey menu at Smoke Signals Restaurant, Lake Placid NY. Pappy 23@ 2 oz for $30. All other pours $20IMG_1162.thumb.JPG.a2c62c7d68ebf74bf394d

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^I'd spring for the 23 at that price. Probably the cheapest you'll ever have an opportunity to taste it. 

No need to fret!  These things help to keep the facts straight over time.        And, that's a good thing!  

30 minutes ago, flahute said:

^^^I'd spring for the 23 at that price. Probably the cheapest you'll ever have an opportunity to taste it. 

Absolutely! Isn't the list on the 23 at $300? That's about $12 per ounce if you managed to find it at retail. $30 for 2 oz. is an easy decision. And I wouldn't stop there. :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.