Empty Bottle Support Group 2017

Tennessee Dave
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

^Ok thanks I'd say no rush on the Larceny especially since I'm not too much of a fan of WSR.

I really think they must do some Barrel selection for the OWA and don't just take random Weller barrels and bottle at a higher proof.

If I could find OWA I'd probably buy cases of the stuff. As it is now I have a little over a case of it but it was acquired 2 or 3 bottles a year. There is ALWAYS one open on my bar.

If I could find OWA I'd probably buy cases of the stuff. As it is now I have a little over a case of it but it was acquired 2 or 3 bottles a year. There is ALWAYS one open on my bar.

One of the benefits of living in Houston, TX I do have a couple of places within 15 minutes with bottles of OWA on the shelf. Can't score a case and there sitting on the shelf because there $5-$10 more than the costs at other places where there gone in a couple of days.

If you find them on the shelf here they are $70-$100. That's not a typo!  A few times a year I'll find a bottle in the $20's.

If you find them on the shelf here they are $70-$100. That's not a typo!  A few times a year I'll find a bottle in the $20's.

Why would anyone buy OWA for $70-$100? The places with high prices where they sit on the shelf is $30 for a fifth and $70 for a handle around here.

At $70-$100 prices I'd start exploring other spirits, wine and craft beers.

This is coming from someone who puts OWA towards the top of there list and the only reason why I don't I have more than a case on hand is I know I can get more easily.

9 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Why would you buy OWA for $70-$100? The places with high prices where they sit on the shelf is $30 for a fifth and $70 for a handle.

At those prices I'd start exploring other spirits, wine and craft beers.

I WOULDN'T buy it for that..I wait for the $20s. Apparently SOMEONE does though. I saw some just this weekend. One store was $99.99 and the other was $69.99.  I'd probably be in at $30.

Sorry you replied before I could fix my post I know you wouldn't but why would anyone buy OWA at more than $30 or so a fifth?

Just curious what part of the country are you in?

It's hard to find in Missouri. BT in general doesn't get here very much. Even eagle rare was missing for about a year in 2014-2015.

I like larceny a lot more than you guys. Way better than mm. I avoid the Wellers.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I really like the wheated bourbons.  MM to me is so so.  The Maker's 46 is a step up.  I got a bottle of Maker's 46 Private Select this past weekend (with the 5 French Mocha staves) and it is awesome.  I have WSR and OWA in the cabinet and they are two of my favorites.  You can pick up Larceny at LB right now for $21.  For a 92 proof wheated bourbon I think that's a steal.  I do notice some acetone but once it airs out I enjoy it.  I do have a bottle of OFBIB and even though I enjoy it, on my palate it is a bit rougher around the edges than the MM, Weller & Larceny.

My cache of "new" WA107 Loch & K(e)y Society/Julio's store pick was $27.99/750ml ea. OTD.  I understand that the barrel sold out in less than 24 hours, BTW!  Had some last night again at the Whiskey Den (private home) after a tasting (and purchase) of the new Compass Box Rivals (a joint store pick bottling between Julio's and Astor Wine & Spirits in NYC - Rivals, get it???).   ;)

•     

compass-box-rivals-us.jpg

The WA107 was still fantastic for the money and the Rivals was just amazingly great, too!   :D

Back on topic - I also finished off an OWA107 when I got home last night.  All in all, another wonderful Whiskey Wednesday.   :rolleyes:

Edited by GeeTen
Spelling and layout changes.

7 hours ago, Golferpimp1 said:

8c53bb4d9ffeb190efba17e1317a994c.jpg
My 1st ETL bites the dust....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

WOW - what self control to have your ETL last this long!   Congrats.   ;)

Maybe I should start an empty bottle minus support thread.

Bought this a while back before I knew any better. I couldn't really tell much difference between this and the bonded OGD except I preferred OGD.

Bottle has been hanging around for a while and I now have more shelf space for the good stuff.

131581d46dce1aad54f68634a9bddbd8.jpg

Finished off another bottle of EC12 tonight. It will get washed so a handle of EC12 can now take its place on the shelf.

On 3/30/2017 at 0:35 AM, HoustonNit said:

Why would anyone buy OWA for $70-$100?

Because for some of us the only time we see OWA is in a picture. Consider yourself lucky that you live where it is easily attainable and at reasonable prices.

Yes it's only a 50ml bottle but it's still empty darnit!! :(  But on the bright side it's opening day tomorrow! :)

IMG_0591.JPG

Thankfully I bunkered several of these when they were on sale for $9.99 each.

20170402_132423.jpg

6 hours ago, kwshannon said:

Thankfully I bunkered several of these when they were on sale for $9.99 each.

20170402_132423.jpg

What kind of store put them on sale for $9.99?  That's a heck of a price. 

27 minutes ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

What kind of store put them on sale for $9.99?  That's a heck of a price. 

Local store passes on discounts when they get a good deal from distributor.  They have done it on several items.  I've thanked him for doing that - verbally and with my purchases.

Clearing out some more room. This one never did grow on me. It got marginally better towards the end but remained a hot mess. I would not purchase another one unless I could try some from the same barrel first.

20170403_230004-756x1008.jpg

Clearing out some more room. This one never did grow on me. It got marginally better towards the end but remained a hot mess. I would not purchase another one unless I could try some from the same barrel first.
20170403_230004-756x1008.thumb.jpg.c14059ca26e62a121f7d4442b4366e49.jpg

That's not good to hear. Tried this recently at a restaurant and loved it. However maybe it was a good barrel. If you have any bottles left maybe we can trade for some OWA.

2 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

That's not good to hear. Tried this recently at a restaurant and loved it. However maybe it was a good barrel. If you have any bottles left maybe we can trade for some OWA.

Was/is my only bottle.  Was actually a present from my wofe for Christmas. Paid a premium for it from an out of state retailer. Have yet to see any in Missouri. Some have said its not "approved" for sale in MO and others have said they've seen it in very limited numbers. I don't know for sure. I just know that I won't be hunting this one.

It's Spring already, right?  

20170404_091408_resized.jpg

Finished off a High West MidWinter's Night's Dram, Act 4, Scene 1 last night - gonna' save the HWMWND 4.3 for next winter in case I can't find another.  She was an excellent companion for the cold nights of late, but thinking warm summer bourbons now .   Little Yeti is in the freezer . . . . . .   :rolleyes:

Edited by GeeTen
Layout and spelling, again!

My favorite Tennessee bourbon bit the dust last night - 8yr Old Forge Reserve SiB Cask Strength (133pf) store select from McScrooge's in Knoxville, TN (Thanks for the "heads up," knoxdocs).

20170407_113308_resized.jpg

Good thing I have my re-supply coming up later this month for a wedding in Beantown.    :D

Edited by GeeTen
Photo add and correct spelling for ackowledgements

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.