Empty Bottle Support Group 2017

Tennessee Dave
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm interested to hear why ETL seems like a better version to you?

I've never had it so don't know from my own experience. From what I understand very comparable to Blanton's but it's generally older barrels than Blanton's and even though Elmer T. Lee has passed and no longer selects barrels they do make a point of bottling there better barrels.

Also I'm a cheapo and in theory I find if something is supposed to be similar something else but retails for 60% less I find it appealing.

Very curious on someone like yours opinion though.

A large part of me is just done with everything BT puts out, and I'll just start paying attention to them again in 8 years when they can actually stock their products on shelves.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I personally really like ER10 and basic BT which can be found without much difficulty. Also OWA can be found around here with a little bit of hunting and is also fantastic.

I'll ask around for ETL in a few weeks as it's suppose to release in April but not going to kill myself trying to get a bottle and will never pay a secondary market price or anything over $45.

16 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

I've never had it so don't know from my own experience. From what I understand very comparable to Blanton's but it's generally older barrels than Blanton's and even though Elmer T. Lee has passed and no longer selects barrels they do make a point of bottling there better barrels.

They are both of course NAS but they are likely similar in age. They are different based on the profile that has been established for each brand resulting mostly from the effects of aging (such as the barrel, warehouse location). It is all the same distillate of course.

The notion that Elmer T. Lee selected every barrel (right up to and including the day he died!) is a common misconception but not true. Maybe early on (as in the mid 80's before he retired) he was involved in picking many or even most of the barrels and he reportedly continued to be engaged in the many years since. But most ETL was selected by other for many years.

No doubt they were (and are) still selected based on a profile that he developed but you aren't missing out if you think a bottle from before his death was hand selected by Elmer himself! B)

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:49 PM, HoustonNit said:

I went a bit overboard though, and have 5.5 bottles of 750ML and a handle.

Don't fret, around here, we call that building your bunker.

I typically prefer ETL to Blanton's. Sometimes I'm in the mood for the elegance of Blanton's but a lot of times I find it a bit boring. ETL has more flavor to me. RHF is currently hard in my wheelhouse though. It's my favorite of the regular BT#2 bourbons and one of my favorites over all. Now that I've had Blanton's SFTB, I might have to decide whether I like that better than RHF. Or I don't have to decide. I can just enjoy them all. 

Killed off one of these. Once opened they go fast. I passed on picking up another one today. I'm rethinking that decision even though I have two onhand.

20170314_212458-756x1008.jpg

d91e3b6458f5a7f644a75e41c7540229.jpg

My first bottle of OWA is gone. Fortunately after a few pours, I started picking up backups.

9 hours ago, KrispinD said:

d91e3b6458f5a7f644a75e41c7540229.jpg

My first bottle of OWA is gone. Fortunately after a few pours, I started picking up backups.

It lived a good life.  Let us celebrate and not despair . . . especially since we have more bottles. :D

It lived a good life.  Let us celebrate and not despair . . . especially since we have more bottles. [emoji3]

Not all of us have more bottles.
[emoji85]
I like OWA so much more than WSR.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

On 3/13/2017 at 11:50 PM, HoustonNit said:

Also I'm a cheapo and in theory I find if something is supposed to be similar something else but retails for 60% less I find it appealing.

Very curious on someone like yours opinion though.

My taster strongly prefers Blantons, now to be fair I have had two bottles of ETL one which is from last year and one which was from the notoriously bad batch.  That being said in my area if ETL is on the shelves there are only 1 or 2 places that price it anywhere near retail, I paid $55 and $45 for the two bottles I have had and would not spend that much on a bottle again.

^Ok if ETL is selling at the same price as Blanton's it kind defeats a lot my reasoning for preferring it.

Total Wine has this priced at $30 vs. $50 however actually getting one of these from them I'm assuming is going to be very difficult.

6 hours ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

Not all of us have more bottles.
emoji85.png
I like OWA so much more than WSR.

Ah but some of us have 2 bottles of OWA, 2 bottles of WSR and 1 handle of WSR.  Now if I could only add a couple of W12 to the bunker I would be one happy camper.

47 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Ah but some of us have 2 bottles of OWA, 2 bottles of WSR and 1 handle of WSR.  Now if I could only add a couple of W12 to the bunker I would be one happy camper.

I just checked. Seven bottles of OWA in a bunker box and five more in the bar cabinet plus one handle. One of the ones in the bar is open and another is a PS. Two bottles of W12, one open 750 and one full liter, and two full WSR. I think there is some WSR in a decanter too. I think I like my Weller. Now if I could only find some WLW.

20170315_202548-756x1008.jpg

38 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I just checked. Seven bottles of OWA in a bunker box and five more in the bar cabinet plus one handle. One of the ones in the bar is open and another is a PS. Two bottles of W12, one open 750 and one full liter, and two full WSR. I think there is some WSR in a decanter too. I think I like my Weller. Now if I could only find some WLW.

20170315_202548-756x1008.jpg

If we all could only find some WLW . . . . ah but that's what dreams are made of.

If we all could only find some WLW . . . . ah but that's what dreams are made of.

I think Buffalo Trace send Jim Murray about 2 cases a year.

Enjoying the final pour of this Booker's with my buddy Forrest.  They aren't kidding with the "uncut and unfiltered"...there was definitely some crud in the bottom of the bottle.

IMG_0552.thumb.JPG.f2374f3e70e69173f61a711773816880.JPG

I finish off this delicious bottle tonight and gave the last ounce or so to my Solera bottle.

I will open another bottle of Russell's Reserve soon and plan to buy a case soon.

3b0d3e7727a49c4962c113987b15a1df.jpg

On 3/16/2017 at 9:04 PM, Nm0369 said:

Enjoying the final pour of this Booker's with my buddy Forrest.  They aren't kidding with the "uncut and unfiltered"...there was definitely some crud in the bottom of the bottle.

IMG_0552.thumb.JPG.f2374f3e70e69173f61a711773816880.JPG

If you paid retail you're a big winner!    Normally those 'solids' are acquired only with a premium being added to retail!   :lol:

Incidentally Forrest is a good lookin' pooch.    In this shot he loox really interested in tasting that pour.    So, maybe a he's pretty smart too eh?

I finish off this delicious bottle tonight and gave the last ounce or so to my Solera bottle.

I will open another bottle of Russell's Reserve soon and plan to buy a case soon.

3b0d3e7727a49c4962c113987b15a1df.jpg

Interesting choice for the solera bottle. I have issues with the ec12 corks getting loose and not sealing.

Interesting choice for the solera bottle. I have issues with the ec12 corks getting loose and not sealing.

I love the look of the bottle, but will move my Solera mix to a decanter when I find one that I want to buy.

Hibiki hits the bottom!  She served us well.   :)

20170317_190058_resized.thumb.jpg.0a8b20d8c685c4eed379ee678efe73d4.jpg

Guess who's next???????   :lol:

20170319_232048.jpg
1792 FP hits the bin tonight. Good while it lasted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.