What bourbon are you enjoying (spring 2017)

kcgumbohead
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Ah.  Samples sent?  Perhaps, samples sent from rejected barrels from previous selections might explain it.   Good on your group to not take something you're not happy with.

Yes to this. Much respect to a store that refuses to choose from a group of subpar barrels. Good to know they have standards and won't take any old barrel just to have one.

Watched the Cats smack the Bruins with a couple of pours of WT101.  The force was strong with the 101 tonight! 

Watched the Cats smack the Bruins with a couple of pours of WT101.  The force was strong with the 101 tonight! 

Absolutely! And since you posted this at almost 3 a.m., I take it that you watched Florida make it three teams in the Elite Eight from the lowly SEC. Fox was unbelievable last night. I drank Russell's Reserve during the game.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Yes to this. Much respect to a store that refuses to choose from a group of subpar barrels. Good to know they have standards and won't take any old barrel just to have one.

I wonder of that means they won't get to choose any more barrels

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Exactly this ^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 3/23/2017 at 3:26 PM, flahute said:

Welcome back.

Thanks Steve its great to be back!! So much so that a 4R Smb followed last night ????

On 3/23/2017 at 9:27 PM, BFerguson said:

Nice pour, but surely, tell us about some of the beverages from across the pond! Anything interesting?

B

Well it was a figurative vs literal trip ( took that one in 2015) on that trip enjoyed some Midleton very rare, a Jameson cask strength at the Dublin location (the old distillery) a Teeling i really enjoyed, Glendalough And Green spot which were both good. This past March was the end of a Redbreast  standard proof That to my taste was never great and several times the cost of an OGD BIB that I would have thoroughly enjoyed. That led to the opening of a Teeling single malt to be my March pour for the next couple years, so far so good on that one. Back on topic a 4R SMB was the chosen pour last night and it was excellent. While fun to explore the Irish style my palate is firmly attuned to the good ole USA. I always appreciate my favorite bourbons but when I take a break the return simply reaffirms how much I love the flavors of our native spirit and its still a screaming deal to boot!! A win-win in my book.

On 3/23/2017 at 10:30 PM, flahute said:

First pour from this Private Selection bottle of 10yr OESV. Wow. This is better than I remember from the pick. This is the spiciest E yeast I've ever had. There's a fair amount of barrel influence here as well (in a very, very good way). It was a short barrel - only 78 bottles - and clocks in at 125.4 proof. 

IMG_7348.JPG

The color looks amazing and delicious, cheers!! I have been surprised by several  "E" recipes and their spice level vs. "B"s. I took the 4R descriptions at their face before trying the various recipes but nothing beats compiling one own tasting notes as a guide. Its taking awhile and i am enjoying every sip ( except for that outlier OBSQ, YIKES!! ) but one day several years down the road I will have a nice spreadsheet with notes across several examples of each recipe. Ah the joys of culthood ???? 

Took a bottle of OWA and some Stagg Jr. to a wake for my brother in law yesterday. I forget that really only bourbon geeks know much beyond Jim, Jack, and Crown. NO one had ever even HEARD of either of them. Bud Light and Bloody Marys were the choice of drink being consumed.

3 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

I wonder of that means they won't get to choose any more barrels

It does not.

1 hour ago, kcgumbohead said:

While fun to explore the Irish style my palate is firmly attuned to the good ole USA. I always appreciate my favorite bourbons but when I take a break the return simply reaffirms how much I love the flavors of our native spirit and its still a screaming deal to boot!! A win-win in my book.

I had the same experience around St. Patty's Day. I drank nothing but Irish for a few days and when I returned to bourbon my plate seemed to appreciate it more.

1 hour ago, kcgumbohead said:

The color looks amazing and delicious, cheers!! I have been surprised by several  "E" recipes and their spice level vs. "B"s. I took the 4R descriptions at their face before trying the various recipes but nothing beats compiling one own tasting notes as a guide. Its taking awhile and i am enjoying every sip ( except for that outlier OBSQ, YIKES!! ) but one day several years down the road I will have a nice spreadsheet with notes across several examples of each recipe. Ah the joys of culthood ???? 

This one is ridiculously dark. I held it up and compared it to some other PS bottles at the same age and this one is 3-4 shades darker. It's flavor is completely unique as 4R goes.

Last night poured some older ORVW 107.  Just simply delicious.  I typically lean more towards rye than wheat, but I find this to be perhaps my favorite wheater - the age and proof right in my wheelhouse.  

I was in the mood for something smooth so I grabbed my Welker 12 bottle, just what I needed. 

Cheers ! 

Will.

Last ounce of a 2016 Michter's 10 YO.  Naysayers will be critical of the price, but this particular batch - 16B200 - really offered a fine combination of aroma, flavor, intensity and balance.  Two more in the bunker, I am happy to say.

Revisiting WR Double Oaked. Nice smooth start. Very heavy vanilla and molasses. The oak is behind those flavors with plum and berry. Can't believe it's been since the holidays since I've had a pour.

Edited by FacePlant

Vanilla and molasses is a good way of putting it. I was describing it more like cappuccino wood stout

This OFBIB along with the Ducks vs.Kan 1st half is almost too much. #NCAA

A little George T. while watching Gonazaga (on the DVR) before heading out for the evening.

Vanilla and molasses is a good way of putting it. I was describing it more like cappuccino wood stout

Yes! Stout. I tasted it but couldn't pull it up. Perfect description.

Watched the Dubai Classic with a couple pours of Baby Saz to sip upon.     Good dram, great horse race. 

GREAT Winner: Arrowgate; maybe the best horse of the last several decades.      Did NOT Start At All... Didn't matter... Ran 'em all down anyway.

Well it was last night but I didn't have a chance to post until now but I had another pour from one of my KC Single Barrels last night and all I can say is . . . damn this is some fine bourbon.

Small pour of Blanton's Gold earlier today, but needed a large pour for the NCAA games this evening and went with some EC12. Going to be really sad when I finally run out of age stated EC. Hopefully that is 5 or 6 years from now based on current consumption.

Yes! Stout. I tasted it but couldn't pull it up. Perfect description.

Well then I'm glad I'm not the only one to think it tasted that way!

It was definitely different.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.