What bourbon are you enjoying (spring 2017)

kcgumbohead
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 3/30/2017 at 5:16 PM, BigRich said:

I'm sitting around the house this afternoon waiting on a chair to be delivered that I found out wasn't even put on the truck today so admittedly I'm a little cranky. Even still, as I sit here sipping a HH6 90 proof (thanks Gary) I'm left thinking that this is my height stick bourbon. Craft producers need to be at least this high to ride my ride. What I mean is that this is a solid serviceable bourbon that I enjoy that is $10 a bottle. Why the hell would I pay $50+ a bottle for "craft" shelf turds that aren't even this good? Crafties, you have been so warned. That is all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep.

OTOH, an occasional fling on the wild side does, once in a great while, result in a pleasantly memorable experience.  The latest releases from Tom's Foolery come to mind. 

EDIT - forgot about the thread topic - finished off the dregs of my chair-side OGD BIB when I heard the Nats RedSox game was cancelled and then finished off (as I type this) my SA Contradiction.  That's maybe 2 OZ. all told. (tolled?) (to'led which is a contraction for totalled? - We have any English majors out there?  What's the etymology of "all told"?)

Edited by Harry in WashDC
Oh, yeah - the thread topic: what I drinking

23 minutes ago, Government Beard said:

Gentlemen, start your engines.

unnamed.jpg

Earlier this year (I think it was, anyway - time flies when you're having fun), I found a honey barrel of HMcK BIB 10 yr -barrel #2498 bottled on 7-26-05.  I hit several stores and bunkered a half-dozen or so (all I could find).  Yours is 36 barrels away and about a week "younger".  ASmithBowman dumps 100+ barrels just for their Virginia Gentleman.  Could be that yours and mine were barreled and racked/ricked close to each other.  If you really like it, I'd suggest going back for more.  Frankly, this has encouraged me to go look for barrels 2499-2533; I  buy and taste HMcK BIB one at a time just in case it is "average", usually.  I may be a bit more aggressive here.

38 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

That's the best bourbon for the money right now 

Whole heartedly agree. This stuff is just freaking phenomenal on so many levels.

11 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Earlier this year (I think it was, anyway - time flies when you're having fun), I found a honey barrel of HMcK BIB 10 yr -barrel #2498 bottled on 7-26-05.  I hit several stores and bunkered a half-dozen or so (all I could find).  Yours is 36 barrels away and about a week "younger".  ASmithBowman dumps 100+ barrels just for their Virginia Gentleman.  Could be that yours and mine were barreled and racked/ricked close to each other.  If you really like it, I'd suggest going back for more.  Frankly, this has encouraged me to go look for barrels 2499-2533; I  buy and taste HMcK BIB one at a time just in case it is "average", usually.  I may be a bit more aggressive here.

Did you like yours? I am pretty much in love with this bottle/barrel-vicinity and it blows the doors off a lot of other more pricey bourbons I have bought in the last year or so; not even considering the cost of HMCK which is under $30. 

I am on the hunt for a few more for the bunker. Cheers!

2 minutes ago, Government Beard said:

Whole heartedly agree. This stuff is just freaking phenomenal on so many levels.

Did you like yours? I am pretty much in love with this bottle/barrel-vicinity and it blows the doors off a lot of other more pricey bourbons I have bought in the last year or so; not even considering the cost of HMCK which is under $30. 

I am on the hunt for a few more for the bunker. Cheers!

I liked it well enough to drive 40 miles one-way to pick up the last two bottles on a shelf.  And, I may have understated the number in the bunker.B)

Starting with some FC 6 probably will follow with some HM SB BIB to keep it in the family and drift on from there.

I know it's not as exiting as what's going on at Harry's, but I just decanted a crock of EW MDS and decided to reward my efforts with a three finger pour.

2 minutes ago, Paddy said:

I know it's not as exiting as what's going on at Harry's, but I just decanted a crock of EW MDS and decided to reward my efforts with a three finger pour.

I actually thought the crock I bought had some damn tasty bourbon in it, kind of wished I bought two.

12 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Starting with some FC 6 probably will follow with some HM SB BIB to keep it in the family and drift on from there.

Changed plans went with HH 6 bib after the FC 6, pretty different birds despite the similar pedigree, all puns intended, HM SB BIB next

17 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Changed plans went with HH 6 bib after the FC 6, pretty different birds despite the similar pedigree, all puns intended, HM SB BIB next

I know of a handle and a fifth of the FC 6 waiting for me to scoop up. Opinion

After a year or so of holding out, I had to bring out the EC12. Oh how I missed thee. Thank goodness I have another in the bunker. 

IMG_0175.JPG

Just now, bourbon4all said:

I'm a fan, a bit more cinnamon on the taste buds then HH BIB or EW BIB if you haven't had the HH. I'm a HH fan in general though, if I had to describe it I would say it splits the difference between HH BIB and HM BIB in terms of oak influence but with more spice then either typically has. These are uhm... up to the minute tasting notes.

WP_20170331_21_03_13_Pro.jpg

FR PS OESO, 12yr, 2mo Oregon Bartender's Guild selection tonight, with a bit of water.  The oak is strong with this one. =)

16 minutes ago, kyrocklover said:

After a year or so of holding out, I had to bring out the EC12. Oh how I missed thee. Thank goodness I have another in the bunker. 

IMG_0175.JPG

Just had some of that too!  Forgot how I love it!

I actually thought the crock I bought had some damn tasty bourbon in it, kind of wished I bought two.

I've bought several of the crocks over the years and enjoyed every darn one of them. $20 or less and it's good juice. Just finished one this week in fact

After the KY Tavern and BT I went with WSR and enjoyed it so I've gone with W12 for the final pour of the evening

This one's hitting the spot tonight. I'm hoping the rest of the bottle hits all the same notes it's hitting tonight. It's been playing tricks on my palate since I first cracked it open.

image.jpeg

35 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

I'm a fan, a bit more cinnamon on the taste buds then HH BIB or EW BIB if you haven't had the HH. I'm a HH fan in general though, if I had to describe it I would say it splits the difference between HH BIB and HM BIB in terms of oak influence but with more spice then either typically has. These are uhm... up to the minute tasting notes.

WP_20170331_21_03_13_Pro.jpg

thanks. I'm a heaven hill fan through and through. So hence my desire to scoop em up. Haven't had the pleasure of HH BIB

Just now, bourbon4all said:

thanks. I'm a heaven hill fan through and through. So hence my desire to scoop em up. Haven't had the pleasure of HH BIB

For the price you can't go wrong, the HH is from a trip to KY but here EW BIB is $17.99 as is FC and HM BIB is between $27 and $30. I would say that the current NAS FC is to my recollection less spicy/oaky but honestly I have not done a side by side.

2 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

For the price you can't go wrong, the HH is from a trip to KY but here EW BIB is $17.99 as is FC and HM BIB is between $27 and $30. I would say that the current NAS FC is to my recollection less spicy/oaky but honestly I have not done a side by side.

Everyday prices are pretty much identical.

10 minutes ago, DeepCover said:

This one's hitting the spot tonight. I'm hoping the rest of the bottle hits all the same notes it's hitting tonight. It's been playing tricks on my palate since I first cracked it open.

image.jpeg

Impressive! Can't Find these around here.

1 hour ago, bourbon4all said:

I would snap them up. I am a fan of FC 6 though I do add a couple drops of water which is not my usual M.O.  I find FC really responds and more dramatically than many others with a couple drops added. The change has always been very positive and at 103 there is room to take it down a notch (100ish). Once there, to my taste it really sings, its just a great full flavored pour.

Edited by kcgumbohead

Killing off the Calumet that everybody loves to laugh about. Luckily mine was half off so all things considering for my bottle. Tasting pretty good.

9 minutes ago, bourbon4all said:

Everyday prices are pretty much identical.

Well at that price age stated FC is a strong buy from me. I'm buying any bottle I came across at this point.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.