What bourbon are you enjoying (spring 2017)

kcgumbohead
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I enjoy some Lost Prophet.

38b22dc44e5e97242c94e963d5c4d97e.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I now dance to Lord Huron while drinking Old Forester 1870 Original Batch

220383279b6acdbbea6c4f33869ffe87.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

CEHT Four Grain before dinner, and WR for the Derby. Picked this one up at the distillery on 9/17/2010

IMG_1675.JPG

704fcf3d459ad73a1c3c9ed5c039a379.jpg

Not my favorite bourbon but is tasting pretty good by the fire watching the kiddos run around and play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Hop said:

Just submitted an offer on a new home so I'm celebrating with a pour of OWA107

Oh, wow.  Congrats.  Your first house purchase?  Wvwn if not, congrats.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
EVEN not WVWN. Touch typing sucks. Just saying.

Oh, wow.  Congrats.  Your first house purchase?  Wvwn if not, congrats.

Oh no far from the first, I think this will be the seventh... we are on the downsizing path now. But thanks l'll still take the congrats. We are about as excited this time as we were the first time.

Thanks to OldFirtz and his pushing of the RR10 I bought a bottle. Finally opened it last night and really enjoying it.

I like it a lot more than my current pour which is CEHT small batch. I know it's popular and it's certainly not bad but I feel way overrated for what it is.

15 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Curious are you in Houston?

Forgot to answer you.  No I live in Oklahoma. Just travel to Dallas occasionally.

Of late, I've really been on a kick with KCSB, as we continue to be in a 'golden era' of fantasic PS barrels available around here. 

Today, I mixed it up a bit with some standard KC, and it didn't disappoint.  To finish up, I went with a nice pour of WT 101 in honor of Paul. 

Continuing with killing bottles so an 8yr age stated 1792 RR hits the bin tonight

30 miles on the bike followed by yard work so I think I deserve some of this. 

IMG_8282.JPG

On 5/5/2017 at 10:18 PM, mbroo5880i said:

I finished off a bottle of HMcK10 that may have been one of my favorites of the brand ever and I have had several bottles over the years.  I might need to pick up a few more bottles tomorrow.  

This post above is the reason I opened one of my stashed HMcK 10 YR BIB (Barrel 2498, 7-26-2005).  I have multiples - I liked the first from this barrel so much I searched half a dozen stores for 2498s and bought them all.  That was a few months ago, and this one is at least as good as the first.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
add "above" above

3 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

This post is the reason I opened one of my stashed HMcK 10 YR BIB (Barrel 2498, 7-26-2005).  I have multiples - I liked the first from this barrel so much I searched half a dozen stores for 2498s and bought them all.  That was a few months ago, and this one is at least as good as the first.

Ended up buying the last two bottles I could find yesterday (Barrel 3120).  I made the guy at the liquor store climb his ladder to get to the back of the shelf since they had bottles of a newer single barrel in front of them.  This store has a shelf to the ceiling. I was going to climb the shelf but thought better off it. :lol:

He understood why I ask but said that most people just buy the brand not the barrel, even though it is a single barrel.  I can't imagine.  The uninformed.  ;)

Did a 1:1 blend of Barrell Bourbon Batch 11 & ECBP Batch 11. It was actually pretty good. Still like them better on their own though. Separate. BB11 has a very nice nose, killer palete, & alright finish. ECBP hits every note in my book. Hands down ECBP is much better! I know I've said that a 100 times!

Cheers,

Jeff

Tried a sample of Barrel Bourbon batch 6 tonight provided by a generous SB'r. Was the first BB I've ever tried. Great nose. I picked up a lot of different things and had a bit of vanilla and floral thing going on in the nose that I didn't get on the palate. On the palate I got an initial dose of sweet and buttery popcorn, then followed with a bunch of (baking?) spices with a spicy but medium short finish. If I didn't know better I'd have thought this was a rye. I did enjoy it quite a bit. It had a thick oily mouthfeel as well. Still not sure if I'd drop $90 on it though.  Followed that up with some OGD114:WSR. That blend helped point out the quality of the BB even more.

2 minutes ago, Golzee said:

A couple fingers of a Binny's PS OWA to end the night.

The Binny's PS OWA I had (I have another unopened one) was close to being the best bourbon I've ever had.

Following the 4R I posted above - some 1792 HR. Just about at the end of this bottle. I'm telling ya', this is some great stuff. Followed that with some 116.8 WTRB. Just about at the end of that bottle too. I'm telling ya', this is also some great stuff.

I poured a nice taste of Old Fitz 12-year, and, though I did enjoy it, I again felt that it seemed to be right up against the edge of being over-aged.    I don't recall this impression from years ago; but the last couple bottles have seemed that way to me.   It's more than likely my palate has changed a little; but, in any case I decided to follow the 12 with a pour of Old Fitz BIB, which I also enjoyed; but, found a bit 'simple'... not a lot of depth, as I've generally found it. 

I said to myself; "Self... you need to blend these two together about 60-40 in favor of the 12, and let it rest a few days then try that."   So, that's what I did. 

I'll try that blend in a few days, and post here whether I determine that to have been time and Bourbon wasted, or a worthy experiment.

I have some good compagny tonight! Thanks to 4R for making those small batches, magic ones, specially this 2015. 

Cheers! 

IMG_8323.JPG

Much needed on this Monday evening... I'm really starting to get why some distilleries that for "Medicinal Purposes" were excepted during prohibition... :D

IMG_1678.JPG

Started with some 1792 HR (and killed the bottle), followed with some K&L 4R OESF. For whatever reason though, tonight, the best in show is the Stagg Jr. Batch (whatever is current). 

Drinking from one of the glasses from the SB.com gear shop. Fantastic glass from Villeroy & Boch. It focuses the nose far better than any other glass in my cupboard.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.