What bourbon are you enjoying (spring 2017)

kcgumbohead
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4RSiB for me tonight. Been probably over 6 months since I've tried this.....dang, shouldn't have waited so long.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

On May 3, 2017 at 9:44 PM, Clueby said:

The way I understand it is that the "standard" ER10 is still for all intents and purposes a single barrel.  They had to remove the SB designation from the label because of the new bottling line that could have possibly allowed the first bottling of one barrel have a small amount in the lines from the last barrel.  So the difference is really on barrel selection and not single barrel vs. batch.

I'm always skeptical of rumors that come out in the bourbon world, but I heard some info regarding ER 10 during Sampler weekend that may change our understanding of ER.  One, was that ER has now gone beyond the accepted explanation Clueby states above.  A good source reports that ER is now a dump of several  barrels, and just not the "leftover in the lines" explanation.  Also, there may be BT Mashbill #2 whiskey in it.  Though I do give credence to this info because of its source and insistence of its accuracy after several vetting questions, I still am not totally convinced.  

Edited by smokinjoe

May the 4th be with you.  Celebrating International Star Wars Day watching "The Force Awakens" with a pour of Larceny followed by MM46 PS with the 5 French Mocha Staves.

Started with some Stagg Jr. 130.0p, this Is a good batch. Better then the last 2 (IMO). Now on to some SAOS

On 5/3/2017 at 9:09 PM, Clueby said:

Trying the OGD114/WSR blend.  I like it so far. It cuts the spice of the OGD down a lot although its still there on the finish. Get an up front sweetness from the WSR without that sometimes rough finish you get with it. It also hides the Beam funk. I tried them both alone SBS before blending and I agree the sum is better than the parts alone.

20170503_200259-756x1008.jpg

Incredible mix! Thank you! 

11 minutes ago, spectre said:

Incredible mix! Thank you! 

Don't thank me. Wasn't my idea. I'm having some more of it tonight.  It is my new favorite.

ECBP release 13 is good. Based on feedback here other releases where far superior, can only imagine as the 13 is fantastic.

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I'm always skeptical of rumors that come out in the bourbon world, but I heard some info regarding ER 10 during Sampler weekend that may change our understanding of ER.  One, was that ER has now gone beyond the accepted explanation Clueby states above.  A good source reports that ER is now a dump of several  barrels, and just not the "leftover in the lines" explanation.  Also, there may be BT Mashbill #2 whiskey in it.  Though I do give credence to this info because of its source and insistence of its accuracy after several vetting questions, I still am not totally convinced.  

Well.......that's interesting. Thanks for the report. Clearly I didn't talk to you enough that weekend otherwise this info would have come out!

16 hours ago, FacePlant said:

Welcome Northern Bourbon.

The ER10 is one bourbon I'd vote for as "The Standard Measure" of what bourbon is, tastes likes, and should be replicated closely. It's always been my go to pour. BUT that's what makes the world go round. :)

The 2016 ER17 was bigger in flavor but much softer in finish. It went down like silk. And with an oz and a half I probably had five mouthfuls, each one building in taste and easing in finish. Granted the price would prevent most sane folks from sampling but it's a great splurge. Don't take it that the finish was not there or short in anyway, it was just so mellow and soft. Of interest, I followed that drink with a pour of WSR and I could barely get any taste from the Weller. And Weller is another go to for me. If I saw a bottle less than $300 I'd probably buy it.

Thank you!

Wow! It sounds like an amazing experience! The subtle finish seems interesting. I hope to one day have the pleasure!

Edited by Northern Bourbon

Went to my local BBQ and bourbon bar last night and found that they had ECBP two ounce pours on the menu for a nice value price of 8 bucks. Had a beer and a couple of those two ounce ECBP's with some bread pudding. It was the 139.8 proof batch 8 version and delicious. 

11 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

This reminds me of a post from awhile ago that left many of us scratching our heads.  I won't even try to find it, and the details are sketchy in my mind, but the gist of it was that if a batch of, say, ETL comes out of the barrel tasting more like ER10, BT will go ahead and bottle it as ER10 (or vice versa, and assuming age statements are met, etc).  

2 hours ago, dcbt said:

This reminds me of a post from awhile ago that left many of us scratching our heads.  I won't even try to find it, and the details are sketchy in my mind, but the gist of it was that if a batch of, say, ETL comes out of the barrel tasting more like ER10, BT will go ahead and bottle it as ER10 (or vice versa, and assuming age statements are met, etc).  

Based on the limits of my palate I'd agree from the taste is more small batch. I'm finding a more consistent profile than would be expected from single barrels. Bottle after bottle I'm not finding small ups and downs like there was 4 or 5 years ago or more. Never ever had a bad bottle but on occasion you might find an angel. Other than a SP in my stash, haven't found any angel bottles in a long time.

By the way the ER17 was at Grisanti's in the Embassy Suites (and yes that's Amanda). :)

While trying to stay dry at the Kentucky Oaks have enjoyed a couple of overpriced pours of Woodford Reserve. Of course that's all they serve at Churchill Downs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G750A using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Having been privy to this exchange I can confirm the source was both reliable and quite insistent about the lack of "single barrel-ness" of ER10 these days and the fact that mashbill #2 (the age international mashbill) was used in at least some ER10. Is nothing sacred???? B)

This also shattered my prior notion that mashbill #2 was the BT mashbill and that the AI mashbill was mashbill #1 which is the slightly higher rye mashbill (not that either are particularly high in rye percentage). After all the AI mashbill was created first!

I was crushed... :blink:

...By the way the ER17 was at Grisanti's in the Embassy Suites (and yes that's Amanda). [emoji4]

Good to know. I haven't been in since all the remodeling was done. This will give me an additional excuse to go visit. [emoji106][emoji3]

Just arrived in Gatlinburg with the wife for a long weekend.  Made a detour in Knoxville and went by McScrooge's.  I was hoping for SAOS single barrel....no dice.  Grabbed up this KCSB and having a pour before we go out for dinner.  Cheers

IMG_0641.thumb.JPG.da87c7b11fd8028988142060b3626711.JPG

Enjoying a very nice KC120 store pick. The balance is great on this one! Also, drinks well below it's proof.

Cheers,
Jeff

I'm a big fan of the 120 store picks knob Creek single barrels. Easy to drink them neat. But very dangerous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a big fan of the 120 store picks knob Creek single barrels. Easy to drink them neat. But very dangerous

+1...I've got quite a few different ones in my bunker and I rarely have to add water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+1...I've got quite a few different ones in my bunker and I rarely have to add water.

Best bang for your buck right now I believe . Did they or are they taking the 9 yr age statement of this bottle?
If they are I am running to get a case

Best bang for your buck right now I believe . Did they or are they taking the 9 yr age statement of this bottle?

I'm not aware that they are removing the age statement from KCSB, but you know how that can change in an instant. Having said that, I still doubt it since this product is priced appropriately, and most store picks are at least 11 years old and many are 12 to 13 years old even though the bottle will still only carry the nine year age statement. That tells me they still have plenty of well aged stock for this product...and I agree with you that this is one of the best bangs for the buck right now. Previously, I would have said EC12 was the best bang for the buck, but we know what happened to that.

1 hour ago, BigPapa said:

In addition to this - http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2016/09/another-one-bites-dust.html

Someplace here on SB, I posted SBS pictures of the old and the new labels.  And, yeah, I'd already bunkered a bunch of the "old" last year when I could get it, regularly, at $22 a 750 plus tax.  So, the change had no real affect on me.B)

In addition to this - http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2016/09/another-one-bites-dust.html

Someplace here on SB, I posted SBS pictures of the old and the new labels.  And, yeah, I'd already bunkered a bunch of the "old" last year when I could get it, regularly, at $22 a 750 plus tax.  So, the change had no real affect on me.B)

The OP you were responding to was asking about any potential loss of the age statement on the Single Barrel not the Small Batch. I'm not aware of any indications that the Single Barrel is losing the age statement.

It's KCSB Store Pick tonight as I get back to killing open bottles prior to moving

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.