What bourbon are you enjoying (spring 2017)

kcgumbohead
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Enjoying a very nice KC120 store pick. The balance is great on this one! Also, drinks well below it's proof.

Cheers,

Jeff

Cracked the CEHT 4G tonight. I like it a lot... I'd buy another if I could... :(

Nothing fancy ATM, a 4RSmB (still learning the acronyms, hope I got that right!).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Trying the OGD114/WSR blend.  I like it so far. It cuts the spice of the OGD down a lot although its still there on the finish. Get an up front sweetness from the WSR without that sometimes rough finish you get with it. It also hides the Beam funk. I tried them both alone SBS before blending and I agree the sum is better than the parts alone.

20170503_200259-756x1008.jpg

Had a nice pour of RY10 and now working on Old Fitz BiB.  When I opened this RY10 I was almost appalled by the overwhelming oak.  Here we are two months later and it's very enjoyable.  

My son opened his store pick of ER 10 Single Barrel, John O's Liquors.  Had a taste of it and we decided to do a SBS of it and the regular ER 10.  The winner, ER 10 Single Barrel.  Flavor profile of the SiB was more developed.  Sitting there beside the cabinet I decided to partake of some of the other bottles.  Started out with some Bulliet 10, moved on to the Johnny Drum, followed that up with some OGD 114 and finished off with a little bit of CEHT SmB.

3 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

My son opened his store pick of ER 10 Single Barrel, John O's Liquors.  Had a taste of it and we decided to do a SBS of it and the regular ER 10.  The winner, ER 10 Single Barrel.  Flavor profile of the SiB was more developed.  Sitting there beside the cabinet I decided to partake of some of the other bottles.  Started out with some Bulliet 10, moved on to the Johnny Drum, followed that up with some OGD 114 and finished off with a little bit of CEHT SmB.

The way I understand it is that the "standard" ER10 is still for all intents and purposes a single barrel.  They had to remove the SB designation from the label because of the new bottling line that could have possibly allowed the first bottling of one barrel have a small amount in the lines from the last barrel.  So the difference is really on barrel selection and not single barrel vs. batch.

The way I understand it is that the "standard" ER10 is still for all intents and purposes a single barrel.  They had to remove the SB designation from the label because of the new bottling line that could have possibly allowed the first bottling of one barrel have a small amount in the lines from the last barrel.  So the difference is really on barrel selection and not single barrel vs. batch.

What clueby said.

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

Trying the OGD114/WSR blend.  I like it so far. It cuts the spice of the OGD down a lot although its still there on the finish. Get an up front sweetness from the WSR without that sometimes rough finish you get with it. It also hides the Beam funk. I tried them both alone SBS before blending and I agree the sum is better than the parts alone.

20170503_200259-756x1008.jpg

I've been drinking this blend for a while now...have a blended bottle on my bar. They are definitely better blended together than they are separate except for the occasional good store pick of WSR. I like OGD114 on occasion, but like this blend much better. 

Going to the bars too much. If I had the crowd over to the house and didn't have to clean up that would work?

First 2016 ER17 I've seen so I had to get one. By the way $30 for a measured pour in Memphis. And it was excellent!

IMG_0746.thumb.JPG.e8f54503ea712d6c82161441d3748b9a.JPG

1 hour ago, FacePlant said:

Going to the bars too much. If I had the crowd over to the house and didn't have to clean up that would work?

First 2016 ER17 I've seen so I had to get one. By the way $30 for a measured pour in Memphis. And it was excellent!

As someone who loooves his newly-acquired first bottle of ER10, I'm curious to hear what the biggest taste difference between the 10 and the 17 (which I've never had) is. What do you think?

18 hours ago, clingman71 said:

My 93 y/o grandfather passed away the other day, so following the funeral it seemed very fitting to open an ETL Commemorative and share a pour with my dad. We followed that with some lot B, cigars, and telling stories.

Sorry for your lost.

2 hours ago, FacePlant said:

Quick! She's not looking, fill your glass!!!!

3 hours ago, Northern Bourbon said:

As someone who loooves his newly-acquired first bottle of ER10, I'm curious to hear what the biggest taste difference between the 10 and the 17 (which I've never had) is. What do you think?

Welcome Northern Bourbon.

The ER10 is one bourbon I'd vote for as "The Standard Measure" of what bourbon is, tastes likes, and should be replicated closely. It's always been my go to pour. BUT that's what makes the world go round. :)

The 2016 ER17 was bigger in flavor but much softer in finish. It went down like silk. And with an oz and a half I probably had five mouthfuls, each one building in taste and easing in finish. Granted the price would prevent most sane folks from sampling but it's a great splurge. Don't take it that the finish was not there or short in anyway, it was just so mellow and soft. Of interest, I followed that drink with a pour of WSR and I could barely get any taste from the Weller. And Weller is another go to for me. If I saw a bottle less than $300 I'd probably buy it.

6 hours ago, MTNBourbon said:

Sorry for your lost.

Thank you

23 hours ago, Hop said:

Doing another pour of the ER10 from last night.  Funny I opened this bottle in DC last week while at the hotel and don't recall liking it this much... wonder if it was because of those waxed paper cups that don't hold up well to bourbon?

Nah, it's the DC effect - everything gets soured. :lol:

Had the last pour from a bottle of JTS Brown BIB last night. That was my first pour since getting back from our get together in Bardstown. My taste buds seem to be back in working order, so after a good day at work today, it's Stagg Jr. tonight. Ahhhhhh. ^_^

Cheers! Joe

10 hours ago, FacePlant said:

What bar were you at? I might have to go have a pour myself...

5 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

What bar were you at? I might have to go have a pour myself...

Easy there Jeff. :lol:

Cheers! Joe

Easy there Jeff. :lol:

Cheers! Joe

[emoji482][emoji2]

Enjoying a Bourbon Crusaders PS Barrel Bourbon. It's an 8yr old Indiana distilled bourbon at about 117 proof. It has a definite 4R vibe to it though I can't say which recipe. It drinks very mellowly at full proof with a thick and oily mouthfeel. I'm always nervous about drinking too much at high proof (don't want to burn out the palate ya know) but this one doesn't seem to take water that well. A few drops of water last night really muted it. Trying only one drop tonight and it's much better but still not as good. I'm only on my second pour of it though so I need a bigger sample set to rule out temporary palate deficiencies.  

I've also been into the 1792 HR the past few nights. This one continues to impress me. Also had some Stagg Jr. (most recent batch) last night and wow was it ever bringing the cherry cola. Deceptively drinkable with a few drops.......dangerous!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.