What bourbon are you enjoying (spring 2017)

kcgumbohead
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

51 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

Going with the Grandpa Weller's 4 Grain, 60% WSR-40% OGD114 after SBS tasting.  Conversion of 50-50 underway!  Will post pic of Hibiki decanter after mad chemist work finished.   Me likee muchly . . . . . . . .  :lol: 

Told a buddy to make the blend a few weeks ago because he had both bottles in his bunker. Finally got to try it last week. Was extremely impressed by how much was going on it. He did a 50/50. Guess Ill have to make a 60/40!

11 minutes ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

Told a buddy to make the blend a few weeks ago because he had both bottles in his bunker. Finally got to try it last week. Was extremely impressed by how much was going on it. He did a 50/50. Guess Ill have to make a 60/40!

I think this blend should be in a Weller bottle with an orange label and cap!

I think this blend should be in a Weller bottle with an orange label and cap!

If you want to bump the proof go with 50/50 blend, Grandpa's Weller Antique.

Glad I cleared the shelf on this one, compared to the bottle next to it the Old No 8 is clearly older and more complex, it is missing some of the sweetness of the more recent bottle but the choice between the two would be easy.  Hope these don't ruin modern WT101 for me.

WP_20170522_22_01_23_Pro.jpg

7 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

^Thats a great pic, gobble gobble.

Thanks WT owns the upper left hand corner of my "Liquor Cabinet" 

Finished the night with some OC8yr, this stuff is great no way in the current market would they have used these barrels for a bottom shelf bourbon.

Did a SBS with some Blanton's as I find them similar. OC8YR has a much better nose but the palate and finish is probably better on the Blanton's. That being said for my taste I might prefer the slightly rougher edges on the OC8YR.

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Well yours truly Smokinicanjinxthebravesatwilljoe missed most of the first two, but settled in yesterday for the finale.  You know what happened...:mellow:

Tonight while listening to Braves on radio through the intermittent showers, it's a pour from an old 7 yr paper label OWA.  What a handsome label.  Whiskey's not too bad either.  :D  Despite this, I never really felt there was any significant drop in my enjoyment of OWA through the age drop, label change, shortage, bottle change, etc.  This older one may have a bit more buttery brown sugar and touch more viscosity, but not so much that I pine for it.  I do miss the package, though.  The first change to the clear label and bulbous bottle was doable.  However, the new maroon dress is abysmal, IMO.

image.jpg

LOL at the jinx at will comment. That is so how I feel about my Reds. (Lifelong Reds fan - the why is a story for another day).

1000% agree on the beauty of this old label and the comparative blah of the following labels. Bottle shape is great too. I wish they'd go back to it or even the older ones. They ooze class.

After a long crappy day I finally got to sit down last night finished off a bottle on David Nicholson 1843.

I went looking for one of my favorites, W.L Weller, none available. I was talked into The DN1843, I thought it was pretty good, but a little pricey at $36.00+ a bottle.

After a long crappy day I finally got to sit down last night finished off a bottle on David Nicholson 1843.

I went looking for one of my favorites, W.L Weller, none available. I was talked into The DN1843, I thought it was pretty good, but a little pricey at $36.00+ a bottle.

Yeah, the DN1843 used to be bottom shelf stiff at $12 a bottle or so. I don't know what made them decide to triple the price, but it will probably sell just as much

image.thumb.jpg.de5ff540867c2b91655c9f8e04c95cce.jpg

What a great looking bottle bet the contents aren't bad either.

6 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

Yeah, the DN1843 used to be bottom shelf stiff at $12 a bottle or so. I don't know what made them decide to triple the price, but it will probably sell just as much

I recently saw a black label DN that was supposed to be a sourced higher rye rather than a wheated bourbon.  Not enough info to justify buying.

1 hour ago, PaulO said:

I recently saw a black label DN that was supposed to be a sourced higher rye rather than a wheated bourbon.  Not enough info to justify buying.

I expect that is the David Nicholson Reserve 100 proof bottle. It was the "Best Straight Bourbon" at the 2017 San Francisco Spirits Awards. Of course it is hard to know if the bourbon in the bottle they tasted is the same as what you get off the shelf, presuming you can find it, since it is sourced from an undisclosed source or sources. Heaven Hill is usually the primary guess for the source. Could be HHBIB 6yo for only 2.5 times the price for all anybody knows!

finishing off some Barrell bourbon 006, followed by 1792 single barrel, in an effort to clear some bottles.

Goal

Achieved!

Now I can open some new ones... :D

12 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

Ya I liked it well enough but not at that price point, but I don't see me buying another bottle. 

FR OBSK private selection from Ace Spirits. 

Even though it's only 35% rye the rye spice is really strong with this guy, if I had it blind I would probably guess it was a rye rather than a bourbon. That's okay with me though as I love rye, at 115 proof or so this is a delightful pour. Much better than the standard FR single barrel I picked up last year.

20170523_200514.jpg

Enjoying a nice pour of CEHTSmB this evening. It always satisfies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A small pour of Blanton's while watching Ottawa force a game 7!

I was watching it too. Good game!

IMG_3907.thumb.JPG.c3f9d5079fe49f40d4517b9708958e9a.JPG
Larceny isn't my favorite, but it never disappoints regardless how my palate is feeling. It's the perfect companion when grinding up steak trimmings to make burgers for grilling on the BGE. 

You are living the dream, sir.

Cheers!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

On the way to Nashville, on Midway Road in Kentucky. We're going to watch Bob Dylan Fest at the Ryman. My buddy is driving, so I covertly have some Heaven Hill BIB with Coke.
10de59acf40cf059da55063fc48d89a5.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Ahhh, Grandpa Weller's 4 Grain.

20170524_141742.thumb.jpg.dc44da99142a2bb21db35a5f5baffe68.jpg

OGD114 bottle heading to the Big Blue Bin today, too.  :rolleyes:

Edited by GeeTen
Re-sized photo. Bad photographer.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.