What bourbon did you purchase today? (Spring 2017)

Charlutz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Through some kindness from a fellow SBer was able to help his friend off load some nice bottles at retail.

ETL, RY10yrSB and SAOS SB store pick.

Also through my own dusty hunting was able to get some OC8yr older bottle with handle and some WT101 Austin Nicole bottle.

0ba23d744451151f314d1eb6aa0757e2.jpg

Is there a thread for what bourbon did you stash from the wife today, because you ran out of cabinet space?

5d59296b4f818d924e4842577b12481d.jpg

Had the day off today so ran a few errands and went to a few stores that are somewhat secluded. Ran into some wax tops and an older Rare Breed.

Huzzah.

58e80b5fd3f64_TheGoods.thumb.jpg.9bab36207a58b1d6a678ac1621d8cc50.jpg

Grabbed these three remaining OC8 handles for $64 otd.  Looking forward to trying various blends with this stuff.IMG_0581.thumb.JPG.2f19b92fc23a2286fb51bba8cf064219.JPG

6 hours ago, MTNBourbon said:

What is that?

As a Louisville Cardinal fan my response would be "A waste of good money"!:D

1 hour ago, Louisiana said:

Bought 4 ECBP's today. All Batch 11. For some reason I went 4 months without buying anything & bought 10 bottles this week. They were quality bottles though, so whatever. C'est La Vie!

I am similar. Was able to work my bunker down from 100ish bottles to high 80s from xmas to march. Now i'm back over 100 thx to just the past few weeks. Guess I fell off the whiskey nerviosa bandwagon. Or is it back on the wagon? Whatever. Not cured.

Edited by dcbt

21 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Something told me I should stop by the store this afternoon.  I haven't seen any of this until today.  People usually are giving it pretty good reviews so now it is sitting in my cabinet.

OLD%20GRANDAD_zpscu7vpseq.jpeg

is that old stock, or proof that Beam is re-releasing OGD114?

1 minute ago, Whiskey Dick said:

is that old stock, or proof that Beam is re-releasing OGD114?

https://thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-styles/bourbon/old-grand-dad-114-gets-renewed-lease-life-now/

"Shipments from the distillery were stopped for a few months due to supply constraints while the number-crunchers worked out whether or not it made sense to continue the product going forward.

They decided that it does.

Shipments will resume shortly and availability should improve in the second quarter.

Nothing is forever, of course. They’ll probably look at it again in a year or so. Supply will be a prime consideration. The high-rye recipe used for Old Grand-Dad is also used for Basil Hayden."

Why these producers continue to dick around their customers is beyond me.

1 minute ago, Government Beard said:

https://thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-styles/bourbon/old-grand-dad-114-gets-renewed-lease-life-now/

"Shipments from the distillery were stopped for a few months due to supply constraints while the number-crunchers worked out whether or not it made sense to continue the product going forward.

They decided that it does.

Shipments will resume shortly and availability should improve in the second quarter.

Nothing is forever, of course. They’ll probably look at it again in a year or so. Supply will be a prime consideration. The high-rye recipe used for Old Grand-Dad is also used for Basil Hayden."

Why these producers continue to dick around their customers is beyond me.

yip. I know one friend who buys basil hayden, and several who buy OGD114. Obviously BH is more profitable at it's proof/price ratio, but most of us don't even buy it. If doing away with OGD114, at least offer a BH114. That actually might sell at $50.

6 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Purchased this bottle for a friend on the Left Coast who's a big WR fan.

20170407_101508_resized.jpg

She's a Julio's Loch & K(e)y selection to honor Master Distiller Chris Morris' entry into the Whiskey Hall of Fame last year.  It was a L&K group effort to pick two (2) special barrels for a "microbatch" bottling to commemorate the very special occasion.  The 1L bottling is 90.4pf - delicious nose of caramel with a hint of spice that smoothly delivers the same on the palate.  Wonderful long warm finish with a touch of oak as it wanders down the throat.  Great stuff!!!!!   :)

That's a nice thing for you to do.  Thanks for the notes, too.

1 hour ago, HoustonNit said:

Is there a thread for what bourbon did you stash from the wife today, because you ran out of cabinet space?

5d59296b4f818d924e4842577b12481d.jpg

yeah, it's in the "soon to be in counseling" forum.

These two came home today. Found the WSR out of town on the shelf all by itself with no price tag. Took it to the counter... $15.99.  I told myself before I got to the counter I would only buy it if it was under $18.99.

20170407_173723-756x1008.jpg

9 minutes ago, Whiskey Dick said:

yeah, it's in the "soon to be in counseling" forum.

Uh, if HoustonNit needs some professional advice, I know a dozen places to stash where she never thinks to look.  Just saying . . .

EDIT - Well, I don't THINK she's thought to look there and there and there and over here.  And, no, I don't have that nervosa thing.  I am just fine, considering.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
another thought upon reflection

16 minutes ago, Clueby said:

These two came home today. Found the WSR out of town on the shelf all by itself with no price tag. Took it to the counter... $15.99.  I told myself before I got to the counter I would only buy it if it was under $18.99.

20170407_173723-756x1008.jpg

Winning 

15 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Uh, if HoustonNit needs some professional advice, I know a dozen places to stash where she never thinks to look.  Just saying . . .

EDIT - Well, I don't THINK she's thought to look there and there and there and over here.  And, no, I don't have that nervosa thing.  I am just fine, considering.

I was doing good with an office stash but we remodeled over Christmas so I was forced to bring it home.

IMG_0728.thumb.JPG.5f32e4ed5b08c6bcef4c68fc1a629d4c.JPG

Paid too much for the RY10 but the 107 was regular retail. I just hope the RY10 is as good as the 2005 barrels.

You do appear to be a pro.

Haven't been able to find ECBP for anything less than $100 lately, when I could find it at all.  After work today I stopped by my local Kroger and there was the store manager's pick

ECBP_zpsyfmau83n.jpeg

sitting right there.  Grabbed a bottle at $60.49.  I like it that they aren't trying to gouge us on the price.  And you can definitely tell that it is 127 proof. :blink:

Edited by CardsandBourbon

3 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I know a dozen places to stash where she never thinks to look.  Just saying . . .

Harry my friend, you're a guy...

MrsHarryinWashDC is a woman....

She had you figured out long ago...

It's what they do...

They just let us live with our little fantasies... ;)

Picked up another RY10yr SiB, my first OWA in the new packaging, and yet another ETL

9 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Harry my friend, you're a guy...

MrsHarryinWashDC is a woman....

She had you figured out long ago...

It's what they do...

They just let us live with our little fantasies... ;)

As Chief Ten Bears says in The Outlaw Josey Wales movie, "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death."  The words of smokinjoe, carries the same iron.    :)

1 hour ago, GeeTen said:

As Chief Ten Bears says in The Outlaw Josey Wales movie, "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death."  The words of smokinjoe, carries the same iron.    :)

I reckon so... (Spit).   ;)

15 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Through some kindness from a fellow SBer was able to help his friend off load some nice bottles at retail.

ETL, RY10yrSB and SAOS SB store pick.

Also through my own dusty hunting was able to get some OC8yr older bottle with handle and some WT101 Austin Nicole bottle.

0ba23d744451151f314d1eb6aa0757e2.jpg

As usual, people posting pictures of stuff that I can't even find (RY10SiB, ETL).  GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! :angry:

59 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

As usual, people posting pictures of stuff that I can't even find (RY10SiB, ETL).  GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! :angry:

It's a give-and-take situation.  I have some of both those bottles in the bunker, but can't find SAOS single barrel anywhere in IN.  Last time I was in Kentucky I found some in the first store I stopped at.  :o

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.