What bourbon did you PASS up today-Spring 2017?

FacePlant
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Passed on mitchers 10 for 300 a blood oath for 160 and AECask strength for 500 ha

57 minutes ago, Jkersh said:

$299 and $300 EHT Four Grain in Albany NY

I would have have jumped all over it for $299, but $300 is way to much! :P

^^^^^ Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha!!!!!! :lol:  Well said, Louisiana!

Venture across the state line into SC today (which has privately owned stores) on an errand. My first stop my jaw nearly hit the floor. TWO bottles of ETL at $49. I was standing there debating whether to get them both (I paid $39 in NC, but it was a total fluke that I found it) when I realized I was completely missing the 1 at the front. Needless to say at $149 it was an easy pass. Also passed on CEHT Small Batch at $99, Single Barrel at $179, and Barterhouse at $250 (the latter at another store I tried). I hopped right back across the line to good old NC and picked up a Forged Oak for retail $70. Had it not been Bike Week in Myrtle, I might've continued hunting in SC (at least made a Costco run), but overall happy with my day.

^What the heck is wrong with these places people need to stop paying these kinda prices. I doubt I'd pay $49 for ETL.

I passed up the following today,

Over 10 bottles of EC12 with age statement on the back $30

OGD BiB old bottle handles

Hanncock's $54

2004 and 2005 EWSB

Blanton's $60

Booker's Noe's Secret at $68, saw really good reviews of this batch is it worth buying over $60 for the latest Tommy's Batch??

I passed up the following today,

Over 10 bottles of EC12 with age statement on the back $30

OGD BiB old bottle handles

Hanncock's $54

2004 and 2005 EWSB

Blanton's $60

Booker's Noe's Secret at $68, saw really good reviews of this batch is it worth buying over $60 for the latest Tommy's Batch??

[emoji15]
I would have been all over a few of those bottles of EC12 (one of my favorites) and a couple bottles of 2004 EWSB since I don't have any of that vintage.

Booker's Noe's Secret is one of the best of the named Booker's batches, but I have one open and several bunkered. Since you don't have it, I'd recommend it at that price...it's probably not going to get any cheaper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply.

I did get a bottle of 2004 EWSB if I like it I'll go back for the other 2005 and 2004. Have several EC12 and those bottles don't seem to be going anywhere.

I'll probably need to go through a few bottles before I make the plunge on the Booker's.

With bookers, you are only getting slight variations. It's pretty consistent between batches. There is much bigger differences in stuff like rare breed

22 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

^What the heck is wrong with these places people need to stop paying these kinda prices. 

Should this be in the False Dichotomy thread?  :D

Should this be in the False Dichotomy thread?  [emoji3]

Directions to the false dichotomy thread?

With bookers, you are only getting slight variations. It's pretty consistent between batches. There is much bigger differences in stuff like rare breed

Kinda my guess there's a place slightly outta my way that seems to have these for $55 I think I might make the trek there to get one.

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 10:47 PM, HoustonNit said:

^What the heck is wrong with these places people need to stop paying these kinda prices. I doubt I'd pay $49 for ETL.

I think $30 is a fair price any more than that and really I could care less. Even at $30 there are pours I like more.

I think $30 is a fair price any more than that and really I could care less. Even at $30 there are pours I like more.

I really like ETL, so given the relative prices of other products that are comparable, I think $30 to $35 is fair in my area. However, due to the scarcity, I'd probably be willing to pay a bit more.

2 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

I really like ETL, so given the relative prices of other products that are comparable, I think $30 to $35 is fair in my area. However, due to the scarcity, I'd probably be willing to pay a bit more.

I don't see why I would pay as much as RHF or Blanton's when both are better to me and not just by a little. I also tend to prefer other brands over BT in general. The QPR on WT and HH products are way more favorable sub $60 to me. The only real good values to me in the BT lineup are ER and OWA.

In a weird way I'm kinda glad ETL isn't $30 and readily available. If it was I would of passed on trying a lot different really good bourbon. If stuff like ETL and W12 was at traditional pricing and available it would've been game over and I would just drink those, boring. The one plus of the bourbon boom.

In a weird way I'm kinda glad ETL isn't $30 and readily available. If it was I would of passed on trying a lot different really good bourbon. If stuff like ETL and W12 was at traditional pricing and available it would've been game over and I would just drink those, boring. The one plus of the bourbon boom.

...at the same time, if W12 and ETL were cheap and plentiful, it would sit on the shelves like OGDBIB. My opinion: if HH was as hyped as BT is now, HM10 and Larceny would be the shiny objects instead of W12 and ETL.

1 minute ago, b1gcountry said:

My opinion: if HH was as hyped as BT is now, HM10 and Larceny would be the shiny objects instead of W12 and ETL.

Yup. And ECBP would be the BTAC.

1 minute ago, b1gcountry said:

...at the same time, if W12 and ETL were cheap and plentiful, it would sit on the shelves like OGDBIB. My opinion: if HH was as hyped as BT is now, HM10 and Larceny would be the shiny objects instead of W12 and ETL.

HM10 to me is a better product than any sub $50 BT bottle, so I agree here, it hasn't stopped me from buying other things either, I have shelves full of pours I like less but that doesn't mean I don't like the variety.

4 minutes ago, Louisiana said:

Yup. And ECBP would be the BTAC.

This is the truth, if I bought on QPR alone I would only buy ECBP, WTRB OWA and HM10. If I wanted a different flavor profile I would blend or add water.

Wait W12 is way overrated and overpriced right now but if it was cheap and plentiful or as cheap and plentiful as Larceny would anyone take Larceny over W12?

41 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

I don't believe you.

For most of us here, there was a time when both of the above were cheap and readily available and yet we drank both of them and all the others we still drink. Bourbon nerds want to try them all.

I don't see why I would pay as much as RHF or Blanton's when both are better to me and not just by a little. I also tend to prefer other brands over BT in general. The QPR on WT and HH products are way more favorable sub $60 to me. The only real good values to me in the BT lineup are ER and OWA.

I didn't say that I would pay as much as RHF or Blanton's for ETL. I think BT has several other real good values beside ER and OWA as long as you are able to get them at true retail...certainly W12 meets that criteria when you find it at retail of around $35. Of course finding it at retail is a challenge along with ETL. I agree that there a lot of other products that have a great QPR, especially from HH and also from Beam. I think KCSiB PS are one of the best values going, but EC, EWSB and Henry McKenna 10yr BIB are also hard to beat.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.