What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Summer 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 hours ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

I didn't ask.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

When they don't have it marked and you have to ask is typically a good sign that it's overpriced anyway. I found the Orlando area pretty overpriced in general when there in June. (The mouse probably has a lot to do with that) I did see one store with an ORVW10 and VWFR12....$400 and $500.

That's some solid advice right there. Thank you sir. 

I should clarify decent selection of bourbon. Not a place like NASA that has a great selection or places that carry overpriced stuff like Whistlepig but places that have more than just the Houston staples of WSR, Jack and JB. A place that'll have a stuff like Booker's, WT Rare Breed, EC, stuff like that. A place like that should get a case or half case of W12 when they are released.

The ABC in Alabama apparently got a decent amount of KC25th, Blood Oath and Harper15 as they are sitting on the shelves which is rare for "LE" releases. KC25 is 125, Blood Oath is 120 and IWH15 is 90. Passed on all of those. A lot of bottlings that are popping up in the last month or so have yet to make any appearances in AL far as I can tell. 

I travel to Alabama occasionally, and because Alabama is a control state, there is certainly a dearth of some things that are readily available to me in Tennessee, but it also has items that I rarely see, such as two of the items you mentioned. I never see IWH15, and seldom see Blood Oath. I actually picked up a bottle of IWH15 at an ABC store in Montgomery a month ago for $75. The price on KC 25th Anniversary, which I'm not interested in anyway, is also $150 around here. W12, ETL and RHF won't be released in Tennessee until this fall from what I've heard, even though the distributors received some recently...they want to wait until the fall release so they have a larger quantity to allocate to stores is the story.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Made a stop at a store I was driving by in NJ.  Noticed a bottle of Weller Antique on the top shelf, but the $99.99 price made it an easy pass.  

The locked glass case at the front of the shop had a bottle of EH Taylor small batch for $69.99 and the Single Barrel for $99.99.   Easy pass on those as well.  Crazy prices  Who buys this stuff at those prices???

Passed up Early Times new BIB Friday night. Doing some research today it seems I may want to go back and give it a try.

When they don't have it marked and you have to ask is typically a good sign that it's overpriced anyway. I found the Orlando area pretty overpriced in general when there in June. (The mouse probably has a lot to do with that) I did see one store with an ORVW10 and VWFR12....$400 and $500.

This place had Stagg Jr. for $100 and Jefferson's Reserve for $60 if that gives you any indication of price.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

On 8/3/2017 at 7:28 PM, Hop said:

I too passed on several Blood Oath Pact 3 today in NC at $119.99 ea

Good. I bought the #2 and wasn't impressed. Then recently bought the #3 and also wasn't impressed. Should have known better. At around $120 (plus tax where I live) it's a $60 at most bourbon being priced twice or more as high. Save your money.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by BourbonDude

I passed on these guys yesterday. I took a trip across the river to a small liquor store in West Virginia looking for things I can't get in Ohio (Ohio is a control state). Well I found some things I can't get in my area, but no way am I paying these prices for them.

IMG_7358.JPG

6 minutes ago, NEOSipper said:

I passed on these guys yesterday. I took a trip across the river to a small liquor store in West Virginia looking for things I can't get in Ohio (Ohio is a control state). Well I found some things I can't get in my area, but no way am I paying these prices for them.

IMG_7358.JPG

The Sazerac and WSR would've been in my shopping cart.

1 minute ago, DCFan said:

I hear you. I was hoping to find those three bottles, among others, but not at those prices. I put it to Twitter for opinions on the pricing and the consensus was theyre outrageously overpriced...like $30 overpriced according to some store owners and shoppers. I get that the Wellers in particularly are delicious and increasingly popular/rare, but come on.

23 minutes ago, DCFan said:

The baby saz can actually be found in VA ABC (and for $30). 

7 minutes ago, NEOSipper said:

I hear you. I was hoping to find those three bottles, among others, but not at those prices. I put it to Twitter for opinions on the pricing and the consensus was theyre outrageously overpriced...like $30 overpriced according to some store owners and shoppers. I get that the Wellers in particularly are delicious and increasingly popular/rare, but come on.

Like you I have somewhat "easy" access to border states, DC and Maryland in my case, where I have a greater chance of buying those 3 products than in my own ABC state. So when you're there and the goods are there and the funds are there then it's an easy buy in my case. 

11 minutes ago, JoeTerp said:

I thought about that after posting and did a search. Once again "my store" had zero on hand but other nearby stores had some in stock. 

Yeah, it's readily available for $30 or less around me and WSR is also readily available most of the year for $25 or less.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just went into Outlet Liquors in Rehoboth Beach Del where I passed on a baby Saz for $49.99 (since it's readily available at home for $30). :D  I saw a lot of stuff I don't normally see such as Penn bourbons and passed on. Unfortunately I didn't see any ETL, Wellers, RHF, or EC12 (only the NAS).

Elijah Craig barrel select with an 11 year age statement. I decided to get a 1792 Barrel Select Barrel Proof and a Four Roses Single Barrel Select Barrel Proof OBSV.

15 hours ago, DCFan said:

... WSR would've been in my shopping cart.

And this is why we have the current bourbon boom.  The willingness to spend $50 on a $20 product.

And this is why we have the current bourbon boom.  The willingness to spend $50 on a $20 product.

$50 seems crazy for WSR but not everyone lives in Houston. Heck last Friday I paid almost half for W12 off the shelf. I'm still amazed how hard WSR is to find in other markets where in Houston it's probably the third most common bourbon on the shelf. I've been in a number of liquor stores where WSR is the only bourbon they sell.

15 hours ago, DCFan said:

I thought about that after posting and did a search. Once again "my store" had zero on hand but other nearby stores had some in stock. 

It definitely has periods where it's dry and you can't find it, but this one comes around often enough and with enough quantity that you can actually get it relatively easily (I would just keep tabs on the online inventory if you wanted one).

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

I'm sorry but your quoting prices from 2012. It was a steal back then for that price or lower. Compared to scotch, are you telling me it isn't worth $30-$50? Granted, OWA is a much better value for $5 more but once again we are talking about what is available.

Edited by Bbstout

6 hours ago, Kepler said:

When you have a limited supply of something and boomers with plenty of disposable income you have the current boom.

I'm sorry but your quoting prices from 2012. It was a steal back then for that price or lower. Compared to scotch, are you telling me it isn't worth $30-$50? Granted, OWA is a much better value for $5 more but once again we are talking about what is available.

Around $20 is the current price in Houston and on the shelf everywhere except Total Wine.

9 hours ago, Bbstout said:

if I can find it, it's still around $20 near me.  but really, it's more hype than anything else, I find it to be thin and unremarkable.  last time I saw it for $23 I passed on it, it's just meh to me.

if I can find it, it's still around $20 near me.  but really, it's more hype than anything else, I find it to be thin and unremarkable.  last time I saw it for $23 I passed on it, it's just meh to me.

I agree with your sentiments regarding WSR. It's just too young these days compared to what it used to be. Perhaps as the current production increase eases supply pressures, we'll start to see it get a bit more age on it again. Not long ago it was at least 7 yrs old, but it tastes like it's barely 4 yrs old these days. The only reason that I buy it now is to blend with OGD114 to make Grandpa Weller's Four Grain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.