What Bourbon(s) Did You Purchase Today? Fall 2017 Edition.

OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

55 minutes ago, FacePlant said:

107.thumb.jpg.185f846a2699b43419666de11ca3dfea.jpg

Two SP barrels arrived this week in Memphis. I picked up a few from this display and drove down the street to get a few more from another barrel. I was able to give my opinion on the samples rec'd by the LS about 7 weeks ago. Interesting that one barrel yielded 14 cases and the other 17 cases. Once the 1.75 on the counter is done I'll open one of each and have myself a little taste test.

Here wishing all of us good hunting over the next 2 months. Great time of year to like BOURBON.  

Never seen that much OWA/WA107 in one spot..ever....much less a single barrel pick of it.  That would be like $13,000 worth of bourbon in the St. Louis market and sold out in about an hour.

I've been in a dozen liquor stores in 2 states in the last week and saw one bottle of OWA. $99 for a 750ml. 

Enjoy your riches, I'm sure jealous. 

11 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

I've been in a dozen liquor stores in 2 states in the last week and saw one bottle of OWA. $99 for a 750ml. 

Enjoy your riches, I'm sure jealous. 

Must be how GeETen feels all the time!

• I like it 1

The 107 Pictured was 26.99 + tax per bottle NO LIMITS. Spoke with the powers that be, and he stated the display was empty in 3hrs and many sells were cases. He did tip me to where another barrel was delivered.  I got on the phone, gave them my card #, and asked them to ring it up. When I picked up my order the clerk said they sold out an hour after my call.

A little off subject but I did suggest "next time" they order their barrels (and any other barrels where permissible) to do a NON-Chill Filter to give it some umpf. But I don't think most will notice or care and who can beat selling a barrel in a couple of hours. Great store and they do all they can to help geeks like me with an opportunity on the good stuff. :huh:

12 minutes ago, FacePlant said:

The 107 Pictured was 26.99 + tax per bottle NO LIMITS. Spoke with the powers that be, and he stated the display was empty in 3hrs and many sells were cases. He did tip me to where another barrel was delivered.  I got on the phone, gave them my card #, and asked them to ring it up. When I picked up my order the clerk said they sold out an hour after my call.

A little off subject but I did suggest "next time" they order their barrels (and any other barrels where permissible) to do a NON-Chill Filter to give it some umpf. But I don't think most will notice or care and who can beat selling a barrel in a couple of hours. Great store and they do all they can to help geeks like me with an opportunity on the good stuff. :huh:

Not sure BT much cares whether we want it to be non-chill filtered or not. They are likely to make it the way they make it, even if it is a store pick. Not like they are struggling for customers at the moment...

• I like it 1

16 minutes ago, FacePlant said:

Well this makes sense.  I would probably not have been able to resist a case.  Course a case is pretty hard to just nonchalantly walk by the wife with!  

I picked up 6 out of that barrel, and I now wish I had bought a case. I stopped by the other store too, but passed on more since their price was $3 higher...I wish I had bought a couple now for comparison.

Not sure BT much cares whether we want it to be non-chill filtered or not. They are likely to make it the way they make it, even if it is a store pick. Not like they are struggling for customers at the moment...

I was speaking with the one place that got a barrel of Antique. They where able to get it non chill filtered but he made it sound like it was a huge hassle. The way he explained it BT hates dealing with any deviation to there standard process.

It's nice to see 107 picks start to hit the streets.

Bunkers are filling, production ramp-up seems to be finally starting to reach the market. The next round that comes in, the guys who bought a case might only go for a bottle or two since they've still got ones left, and then next thing you know, it's on the shelf again.

Shelf Weller shall ride again!

1 hour ago, FacePlant said:

Once upon a time...... a certain entity did a ps OWA that was non-chill filtered. Supposedly all the bottles were spoken for, and none were ever supposed to see the light of day. Well, bottles from that selection somehow managed to find their way to a stores shelves. :huh: Word got back to BT, and from my understanding, Harlan Wheatley and/or Mark Brown were none too pleased. Since then, and until possibly somewhat recently, and probably in most cases, non chill filtering wasn't really an option because of this faux pa /f**k up. :angry: Disclaimer: supposedly, understanding, possibly, probably and most are the operative words here. Who knows for sure, and besides, there's exceptions with pretty much everything. <_< FWIW, my info comes from a fairly reliable source. ;) 

Cheers! Joe

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

...none were ever supposed to see the light of day.

Why was having non-filtered bottles on the shelf a problem for BT exactly?

1 hour ago, Kane said:

Perhaps they wouldn't want a bottle that, as a private pick, might be off profile and done differently than the routine bottling at a random store if it wasn't clearly selected and identified as being from that store. Plus if the group selecting it were asked not to do so by BT/Sazerac and they did otherwise I would certainly see how they could take it as an affront no matter how it came to pass.

No non-chill filtered OWA for you! Or you or you or you... 

<_<

30 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Just picked up 3 W12 bottles. 2 of my friends are gonna be very happy.

Howdy friend! :P

• I like it 1

Just got a "slightly used" Lot B via a trade. Turns out a co-worker who preferred Scotch was gifted a bottle and didn't enjoy it. I offered him my slightly used Yamazaki 12 (bought from a grocery store for $45, those were the days [of course I disclosed this info to him, which he didn't mind]). We both walked away happy.

8 hours ago, Kane said:

A non-chill filtered bourbon will get a little cloudy when ice or water is added. BT didn't want their average customer thinking there was a quality issue. I'm guessing that BT figured that folks picking their own private non-chill filtered barrel knew and understood what was going on. That's why the non-chill filtered bottlings were only available as private selections back then. I apologize for being a bit vague when I said that none were supposed to see the light of day. All the bottles were supposed to have been allocated so that none would ever see a store shelf. As I understood it, that was part of the agreement. Also and FWIW, this was quite a few years ago, back in the old paper label days.

Cheers! Joe

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, Kane said:

The very reason chill filtration is done in the first place is that if they DON'T chill filter, people who don't understand non-filtered whiskey will complain that their whiskey is "cloudy", and assume that it is of lower quality. This happens most often when ice is added to whiskey, as lower temperatures cause the flavour oils to congeal.

Distilleries actually get bottles returned as defective due to this cloudiness, and even if they aren't returned, the drinker may talk amongst his friends and run down the whiskey's quality. A tour guide once told me this was particularly a problem at restaurants.

Rather than educate the public, which really isn't possible because the majority of the drinking public doesn't want to learn or know, it is easier for them just to chill filter their product, and no cloudiness will occur when ice is added, etc.

I suspect this is why distilleries don't want non-chill filtered bottles out in the public. It ends up a huge headache for them.

• I like it 2

Got a message from my favorite little hometown liquor store today that they got this in. I left 2 more EC18s on the shelf. I also left 4 ECBP A117 on the shelf (after all my bitching yesterday lol). Still looking for a B517. 

20171012_165542-1008x756.jpg

Edited by Clueby
  • I like it 2

1 hour ago, The Black Tot said:

^^^Joe beat me to it!

Every once in a while.......:D You did add some good stuff though Paul.

Cheers! Joe

• I like it 1

Got a message from my favorite little hometown liquor store today that they got this in. I left 2 more EC18s on the shelf. I also left 4 ECBP A117 on the shelf (after all my bitching yesterday lol). Still looking for a B517. 
20171012_165542-1008x756.thumb.jpg.3ceb58f080a34f11aaf85040e5cb0b8d.jpg

After all that whining yesterday about not being to find any ECBP, and then you leave them behind and come home with three bottles that I've actually never even seen in the wild! [emoji15]????‍♂️
  • I like it 1

1 minute ago, lcpfratn said:

After all that whining yesterday about not being to find any ECBP, and then you leave them behind and come home with three bottles that I've actually never even seen in the wild! emoji15.png????‍♂️

AND he's in a K+L ship state!!!!

I think I'm going to whine now. It clearly gets results!

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

A non-chill filtered bourbon will get a little cloudy when ice or water is added. BT didn't want their average customer thinking there was a quality issue. I'm guessing that BT figured that folks picking their own private non-chill filtered barrel knew and understood what was going on. That's why the non-chill filtered bottlings were only available as private selections back then. I apologize for being a bit vague when I said that none were supposed to see the light of day. All the bottles were supposed to have been allocated so that none would ever see a store shelf. As I understood it, that was part of the agreement. Also and FWIW, this was quite a few years ago, back in the old paper label days.

Cheers! Joe

Interesting, I knew about this but it never occurred to me that aesthetics would be the reason. But I suppose it made sense in the olden days when chill filtration wasn't all that well understood by the common folk.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.