What Bourbon(s) Did You Purchase Today? Fall 2017 Edition.

OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 minute ago, FacePlant said:

Bout $75 now, up from $50 last year.

At that rate maybe $125 in 2018?

:o

Just now, kevinbrink said:

Varies, in the two markets I shop in NJ around $50, NY around $65.

Thanks guys! I just saw one for $65 (saw one for $115 at another LS near me) I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the $65 bottle. I've never even tried it tho, I just don't know if I'll see it at this price again.

Cheers!

4 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Varies, in the two markets I shop in NJ around $50, NY around $65.

Whatever it is, it's too much. I haven't had any I've cared for yet.

• I like it 1

Just now, Clueby said:

Whatever it is, it's too much. I haven't had any I've cared for yet.

Really? Can you elaborate? 

Much appreciated!

Cheers

2 minutes ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

Really? Can you elaborate? 

Much appreciated!

Cheers

The highly anticipated bottle that I got in the first release was a hot mess. Everyone was going on and on about the caramel sweetness, etc. and all I got was alcohol and a REALLY bitter oaky finish with no sweetness whatsoever. I tried another SBrs bottle and it was only marginally better to me. The oak was more balanced and there was a hint of sweetness that perhaps some water might have coaxed out. My bottle/barrel didn't benefit from water at all. Just made it a thinner, less hot mess.

Being a single barrel I'm sure there are variations but I'm once bitten..

My opinion doesn't seem to correspond to others on here though.

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, Clueby said:

The highly anticipated bottle that I got in the first release was a hot mess. Everyone was going on and on about the caramel sweetness, etc. and all I got was alcohol and a REALLY bitter oaky finish with no sweetness whatsoever. I tried another SBrs bottle and it was only marginally better to me. The oak was more balanced and there was a hint of sweetness that perhaps some water might have coaxed out. My bottle/barrel didn't benefit from water at all. Just made it a thinner, less hot mess.

Being a single barrel I'm sure there are variations but I'm once bitten..

My opinion doesn't seem to correspond to others on here though.

Your opinion is definitely accepted from me. I like to hear both sides when contemplating a purchase.

I'm not convinced I should buy this... I'm at a really crappy hole in the wall place, so I don't think anyone will find it (knock on wood) and hopefully I can pick it up another time.

Cheers!

1 hour ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

Does anyone know of a typical retail price for RY10?

Cheers!

It's been around $60 here, when it's available.

13 hours ago, Gorzo said:

Not a purchase, but got the hookup from family at Thanksgiving for taking them to Norte Dame last weekend. They have no clue how cool of a gift this was.

IMG_1045.JPG

13 hours ago, Clueby said:

I need better family!!

No kidding.  I'm happy to just get anything that's NOT a total wine generic brand from my family.

So, uh.... when's the party, Gorzo? 

Oh, and don't put 'em on that shelf again...:P

Edited by 0895

2 hours ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

Does anyone know of a typical retail price for RY10?

Cheers!

All the bottles I have picked up were around $50. It's a single barrel product and I have heard some varying opinions but I have really enjoyed the two different bottles I opened and 10 year wheaters aren't very common.

5 hours ago, Paddy said:

Not a purchase, but a pretty swell birthday gift from my awesome kids.

image.jpeg

Fantastic!

After passing on ECBP Batch B for $99 in my hometown in middle Georgia, found same bottle for $54.99 in an ABC Store while visiting my daughter in NC. At that price, I couldn’t resist .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I like it 2

Picked up this bad boy! Pretty excited to try it out! They had a few more cases left, so if I like it, I'll go get another (or 4) to bunker...   

IMG_1423.thumb.JPG.f5146be9da96f0877d7004d4d8347f94.JPG

Cheers!

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, 0895 said:

No kidding.  I'm happy to just get anything that's NOT a total wine generic brand from my family.

So, uh.... when's the party, Gorzo? 

Oh, and don't put 'em on that shelf again...:P

Still have nightmares about that shelf. Family in Chicago bought me a couple of nice bottles of wine in the past, but they got tired of me pouring it in a solo cup with ice.  As far as a tasting party count me in.

Picking up my 2017 GTS and a "new" L&K pick of WA107 at the "Fun Unicorn" tasting at Julio's Liquors later today - hopefully near MSRP.  We'll be trying almost all of the 2017 Pappy/BTACs - ORVW10, 12yr Lot B, PVW15, PVW20, PVW23, WLW, GTS, Saz18, and ER17.  Don't know if or why the VWFFR (oh yeah, not shipped this year!) or THH is not included, tho' - I'll have to check.   :ph34r:

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, Kane said:

I know, I know :)

Here's my reasoning: Even with no backups in 6-7 years, and 10-15 bottles open at any given time, there are tons of bottles waiting in my stash to be enjoyed. Most of these I have never tasted, ever! (see OF1920, FRSB BP private picks, Foursquare Rums, more Scotch than I can count...). I want to get to them at some point, so no repeat purchases for me to delay that process. Meanwhile, I enjoy my faves at bars instead.

I think my one and only repeat purchase was the HW Midwinter's. Also LEs from different years don't count, I see'em I grab'em.

I am in awe that someone else gets it. < applause and cheers > :D

5 hours ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

Picked up this bad boy! Pretty excited to try it out! They had a few more cases left, so if I like it, I'll go get another (or 4) to bunker...   

IMG_1423.thumb.JPG.f5146be9da96f0877d7004d4d8347f94.JPG

Cheers!

You don’t see 10 year barrels like you used to

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Picking up my 2017 GTS and a "new" L&K pick of WA107 at the "Fun Unicorn" tasting at Julio's Liquors later today - hopefully near MSRP.  We'll be trying almost all of the 2017 Pappy/BTACs - ORVW10, 12yr Lot B, PVW15, PVW20, PVW23, WLW, GTS, Saz18, and ER17.  Don't know if or why the VWFFR (oh yeah, not shipped this year!) or THH is not included, tho' - I'll have to check.   :ph34r:

Not too long after I first joined SB, and over the course of a couple of years after that, I was able to purchase a few ps's from Julio's. They were all great. Since then, I've alway wanted to stop in and see their store. Not having the time to visit Julio's was about the only disappointment I had on our vacation to the Boston area back in 2014. :mellow:  

I hope you have a great time today Gee. Don't put too big a strain on your wallet. ;)  Please post later on about your experience.

Sláinte! Joe

Grabbed this about an hour ago in KY. Hope its worth sitting out in the cold for a couple hours. If not at least I got to meet and converse withe a few other bourbon enthusiasts for a while. 

IMG_1046.JPG

• I like it 2

42 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Not too long after I first joined SB, and over the course of a couple of years after that, I was able to purchase a few ps's from Julio's. They were all great. Since then, I've alway wanted to stop in and see their store. Not having the time to visit Julio's was about the only disappointment I had on our vacation to the Boston area back in 2014. :mellow:  

I hope you have a great time today Gee. Don't put too big a strain on your wallet. ;)  Please post later on about your experience.

Sláinte! Joe

Joe,

You're always welcome in our home and only 20 minutes from Julio's.  Just got back from Mr. Toad's Wild Ride back from NJ - SWMBO was driving the Mustang GT 5.0 and I'm decompressing from the re-entry.   :lol:

Will post the tasting notes with pics later tonite - have to head over to Pappy's Whiskey Den in Southborough after the tasting.  :ph34r:

4 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

Joe,

You're always welcome in our home and only 20 minutes from Julio's.  Just got back from Mr. Toad's Wild Ride back from NJ - SWMBO was driving the Mustang GT 5.0 and I'm decompressing from the re-entry.   :lol:

Will post the tasting notes with pics later tonite - have to head over to Pappy's Whiskey Den in Southborough after the tasting.  :ph34r:

Thanks for the offer Gee. Much appreciated.

Mustang GT 5.0 huh? Cool. We have a Kia Sedona. Tons of room, very comfy, and the ride is really smooth. Speed aint' so much a factor.  -_- I have no problem decompressing from re-entry when my wife is driving. Where is a yawn emoji when you need one? :lol:

Looking forward to your notes and pics.

Sláinte! Joe

The WTKS says it was bottled 12-7. Would that be 2007 or December 7? I’m guessing 2007 since there’s nothing following the 7. 

The ECBP B517 $41.95 :D. All the prices on HH products at this place are phenomenal. 

6175AFFF-DFFD-4389-8C15-DE5457E58BCE.jpeg

• I like it 1

4 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

The WTKS says it was bottled 12-7. Would that be 2007 or December 7? I’m guessing 2007 since there’s nothing following the 7. 

The ECBP B517 $41.95 :D. All the prices on HH products at this place are phenomenal. 

6175AFFF-DFFD-4389-8C15-DE5457E58BCE.jpeg

Hmmm...nothing under 100 proof!  Are those old OWA107 375s?  I have never seen OWA in anything smaller than a 750.  Great price on the ECBP!  I just bought another B517 today for $59.99.

• I like it 1

Four Roses Yellow label holiday package for $16.  It has a pint glass with logo, spoon and strainer. Good for company and a whisky sour.  :) 

Edited by Darwin
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.