What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today (Fall 2017)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just now, HoustonNit said:

Have you ever posted pics of your Texas bunker? Must be impressive.

It's not photogenic. It's more a storage solution than an accessible display.

It's not photogenic. It's more a storage solution than an accessible display.

I'm sure it's fine, can you give me the address and let me know your offshore crew rotation. I'll be sure to keep an eye on it.

1 hour ago, jshleffar said:

... Also, the girlfriend doesn't understand the whole bunker thing.

Ah, too bad.  But, I'll bet you'll be able to find another girlfriend soon.

• I like it 1

was at a fairly new ls in my area. not sure what distributor they use but they say they put a fairly conistant markup bases on what they get charged. passed on ETL for 109.. but also had a 4 Roses BP for 55 and a family sized WT 101 for $35.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, Mako254 said:

So I was in a shop I'd been in before. Checking out our section when an asst manager asks if he can help. They had a store pick of WTKS on sale so I asked how it was. He said I'm a bourbon guy through and through but if you want Wild Turkey you should get the American Honey instead. I told him no thanks and added a 116.8 rare breed on my way out. 

Not one to judge but damn. Not sure  what to say to that. So, today I passed on wild turkey american honey. 

I would have taken his appreciation of American Honey into account and ignored hhis suggestion of not buying WTKS and picked up a bottle!

15 hours ago, Mako254 said:

Not one to judge but damn. Not sure  what to say to that. So, today I passed on wild turkey american honey. 

Good call, get JD with honey. It’s delicious. ;)

• I like it 1

38 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

I would have taken his appreciation of American Honey into account and ignored hhis suggestion of not buying WTKS and picked up a bottle!

Oh, no doubt about it, the WTKS came home with me. Have the last little but of another WTKS to finish before I open it. 

• I like it 1

Passed on Little Book - first I've seen of it but I've resolved not to buy anything LE from Beam until I or someone who's palate I trust has tried and reviewed it.

Passed on Stagg JR ($99.99) and ER10 ($45.99) today. First time I've been in this hole in the wall place, but did talk to the guy for a little bit before I browsed around the store. I already knew I wasn't leaving with anything when I saw the SJR and ER10 sitting behind the counter almost center cut. In my imagination, there was a small spotlight showing on them as well. The only thing I even considered was Bakers in the low 40's, but already know a couple places that beat that by several bucks and this guy didn't deserve any of my business. Anyway, after I told him the SJR and ER10 were not in my reasonable price range he asked me what was. I told him I was a buyer for SJR anywhere from 45 to 60 bucks and 28 to 34 on the ER10. He laughed and I joined in.

Next, he pulled out his clipboard and said he might be able to do a little work to help me out. After consulting the clipboard and doing a little calculator work, he told me he could hook me up with 5% off. Good stuff. I thanked him for his time and left. Definitely not a waste of time. I got a couple of good laughs even with the LS clerk\owner, and now I know another place not to stop in. I do enjoy the hunt quite a bit even if I don't sound like it.

50 minutes ago, Hop said:

Passed on Little Book - first I've seen of it but I've resolved not to buy anything LE from Beam until I or someone who's palate I trust has tried and reviewed it.

I saw that on the shelf in the Va ABC I was in today. $79.99 for a blend that can’t be called bourbon. Pass.

2 hours ago, DCFan said:

I saw that on the shelf in the Va ABC I was in today. $79.99 for a blend that can’t be called bourbon. Pass.

I don't have a problem with the fact that it's not bourbon at all, however based on the age of the various whiskey's in the blend it seems to be a pretty big ask on the price. Nice packaging though and I would definitely like to try it.

I don't have a problem with the fact that it's not bourbon at all, however based on the age of the various whiskey's in the blend it seems to be a pretty big ask on the price. Nice packaging though and I would definitely like to try it.

Isn't this primarily corn whiskey or at least the most aged components? I'm curious what Beam normally does with it's corn whiskey and how did they end up with so much aged corn whiskey?

1 minute ago, HoustonNit said:

Isn't this primarily corn whiskey or at least the most aged more components? I'm curious what Beam normally does with it's corn whiskey and how did they end up with so much aged corn whiskey?

I would guess most of their corn whisky is either sold to NDP/Craft or goes into cheap blends

I would guess most of their corn whisky is either sold to NDP/Craft or goes into cheap blends

How did it end up siting around for 13 years? They must overestimated demand for there blends and NDP buyers. It looks like they found a smart way to get rid of it.

37 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

How did it end up siting around for 13 years? They must overestimated demand for there blends and NDP buyers. It looks like they found a smart way to get rid of it.

I have a local "Craft Whiskey" that is a KY sourced 8 yr Corn whiskey which I like just fine, I always assumed it was just old Mellow Corn until I asked the proprietor who wouldn't tell me where it was sourced form but stated that it wasn't HH, not saying it is Beam as it could really be any of the KY distilleries, but any time you see an older aged stated non bourbon whiskey at a Micro you can probably guess that it's some one's corn whiskey stocks that didn't make it into a blend.

I have a local "Craft Whiskey" that is a KY sourced 8 yr Corn whiskey which I like just fine, I always assumed it was just old Mellow Corn until I asked the proprietor who wouldn't tell me where it was sourced form but stated that it wasn't HH, not saying it is Beam as it could really be any of the KY distilleries, but any time you see an older aged stated non bourbon whiskey at a Micro you can probably guess that it's some one's corn whiskey stocks that didn't make it into a blend.

Very interesting.

checking out some LS in Austin today during my 4 day work trip. One store had a Weller 12 for $100.00, I had to chuckle, they also had WSR for $49.99, Blantons for $150.00 and ER10 for $50.00. 

I'm sure glad I live were I live for someone with a bourbon fetish. 

Edited by Dango

checking out some LS in Austin today during my 4 day work trip. One store had a Weller 12 for $100.00, I had to chuckle, they also had WSR for $49.99, Blantons for $150.00 and ER10 for $50.00. 
I'm sure glad I live were I live for someone with a bourbon fetish. 

This was Austin? I thought all of Texas had cheap and readily available WSR.

passed on a forged oak that was being pushed pretty heavily at 75 and the new midsummernights dram for 80ish. Im foolishly passing on most things in the ridiculous hope I can hit a BTAC or two when they make it to Ca (Ive also never tried the dram so I cant justify that price in my head). Wish me luck!

Just now, HoustonNit said:

This was Austin? I thought all of Texas had cheap and readily available WSR.

Yeah, it was just one place I stopped at. They had 8 bottles of the WSR and 1 of W12. They were clearly price gouging. 

Passed up everything at the store today, including an EC private selection that I’ve been through a bottle of and which was too heavy on the spice and too light on everything else.

2 minutes ago, Kane said:

This out? Let the hunt begin!

Does this mean I should go back and get it blind?

10 minutes ago, jshleffar said:

Does this mean I should go back and get it blind?

If you never had it, you should definitely give it a try. MSRP for the first batches was $85, so that looks like a fair price too.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.